June LSAT vs. October LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
katie96

New

June LSAT vs. October LSAT

Post by katie96 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

I’ll be applying to enroll in law school in fall semester 2011. I am currently finishing up my junior year and graduating in December. I was planning on taking the LSAT this June, but with 17 credits this semester and working three days a week, I am finding it hard to make time to really get into prepping for the test. I wanted to apply ED to some of the schools on my list, which is why I thought it would be strategic to take the June LSAT. I want to get my apps in as early as possible to have the best shot at getting in (trying to crack the T-14). But now I’m wondering—would it be a better idea to take the October LSAT? Obviously from now until October, I would have a lot more time to study, and with less school work (I am only taking 3 classes over the summer). Thoughts? :D

waxecstatic

Bronze

Re: June LSAT vs. October LSAT

Post by waxecstatic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:44 am

katie96 wrote:I’ll be applying to enroll in law school in fall semester 2011. I am currently finishing up my junior year and graduating in December. I was planning on taking the LSAT this June, but with 17 credits this semester and working three days a week, I am finding it hard to make time to really get into prepping for the test. I wanted to apply ED to some of the schools on my list, which is why I thought it would be strategic to take the June LSAT. I want to get my apps in as early as possible to have the best shot at getting in (trying to crack the T-14). But now I’m wondering—would it be a better idea to take the October LSAT? Obviously from now until October, I would have a lot more time to study, and with less school work (I am only taking 3 classes over the summer). Thoughts? :D
If you want to get your apps in as early as possible, then it is not feasible to take the test in October. If you want to do as best you can then you need to gauge where you are now and determine if the length from which you are from your goal can be balanced with your other obligations.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Re: June LSAT vs. October LSAT

Post by RhubarbPie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:58 am

katie96 wrote:I’ll be applying to enroll in law school in fall semester 2011. I am currently finishing up my junior year and graduating in December. I was planning on taking the LSAT this June, but with 17 credits this semester and working three days a week, I am finding it hard to make time to really get into prepping for the test. I wanted to apply ED to some of the schools on my list, which is why I thought it would be strategic to take the June LSAT. I want to get my apps in as early as possible to have the best shot at getting in (trying to crack the T-14). But now I’m wondering—would it be a better idea to take the October LSAT? Obviously from now until October, I would have a lot more time to study, and with less school work (I am only taking 3 classes over the summer). Thoughts? :D
June is good (especially for early apps) because if you are happy with your score, you can submit (and be complete) in September, and if you are unhappy with your score you can retake in October (you would still get your score back in time for an ED app most likely). You can actually submit apps the first day they open (and if you have a June score you'll be complete as long as everything else is in), but if you decide to retake you can note that, and the school will hold off on their decision until your new score comes in. Going complete in October is still early.

That said, don't take the LSAT in June if you don't think you've prepared for it. Its better to have one good score (even if its from the Oct administration) than a low score and a higher score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”