LSAT Timing and Focus Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSWin

New

LSAT Timing and Focus Help

Post by LSWin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:39 am

I'm stuck in high 150's, low 160's. I usually end up guessing about an average of 5 questions per section. I usually have to skim the last RC passage, and usually can't finish the 4th logic game. As far as LR, that's my worst section (as far as not finishing goes) as I have to constantly reread stimuli and in general just move slow. I'm getting most of the questions I attempt correct, but the guessing at the end of the 35 minutes is killing me. Besides adjusting my sleep (which is suffering and definitely needs to improve), what else can one do to improve focus and speed. I usually end up taking PT's on a caffeine overload, which I'm going to obviously stop because it just gets me jittery and focusing about as well as someone with ADD.

I'm really trying to get to the next plateau (mid-high 160's), and I think it's mostly a timing/focus issue...so please offer any advice you can.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: LSAT Timing and Focus Help

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 am

jxtxdx wrote:I'm stuck in high 150's, low 160's. I usually end up guessing about an average of 5 questions per section. I usually have to skim the last RC passage, and usually can't finish the 4th logic game. As far as LR, that's my worst section (as far as not finishing goes) as I have to constantly reread stimuli and in general just move slow. I'm getting most of the questions I attempt correct, but the guessing at the end of the 35 minutes is killing me. Besides adjusting my sleep (which is suffering and definitely needs to improve), what else can one do to improve focus and speed. I usually end up taking PT's on a caffeine overload, which I'm going to obviously stop because it just gets me jittery and focusing about as well as someone with ADD.

I'm really trying to get to the next plateau (mid-high 160's), and I think it's mostly a timing/focus issue...so please offer any advice you can.

It real helped me to slow down when reading, review the problems and just get a strong understanding of the test. I have not scored high on the real deal yet but have done well on practice tests.

Also make sure you warm up before taking the test. Review a previous test. It is good to be in test mode before you take the test.

LSWin

New

Post by LSWin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 am

Yea, I've been doing a quick logic game before PT's. I can foresee myself getting all the way through RC and LG with more practice. But I'm having trouble seeing myself bulldoze through LR problems. Is this something that comes with more practice of the question types, because I'm not very far yet in my studying (Kaplan course) and haven't identified/practiced the various types of LR Q's (or types of LG's for that matter).

LSWin

New

Post by LSWin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Bump?

DC_Patent_Law

Bronze

Post by DC_Patent_Law » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 am

I am having exactly the same problem where I have to read the stimulus twice for LR questions and end up missing about 10 problems in that section. This really sucks. Is it a reading speed issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 am

How long have you been studying for? 2 weeks? 2 months? A lot of speed simply comes from repetition and will work itself out. I'm assuming you're gearing up for June, which means there is plenty of time for this. I would recommend going back to the basics. Pound through the bibles and get a really firm grasp on the concepts. Once you have that, the speed will naturally come.

DC_Patent_Law

Bronze

Post by DC_Patent_Law » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 am

I've been studying since Jan for the June test. I started the testmasters course in March and I believe their massive amounts of HW is helping but I don't see that much of an increase in speed. I do a LOT of reading for my work but my habit has always been to first skim for general context and then re-read for detail. This habit is now coming back to bite me. I'm still in the mode where I have to read the stimulus twice even though I am much much faster with the answer choices once I've absorbed the stimulus since I've gotten better at noticing the sucker choices.
birdlaw117 wrote:How long have you been studying for? 2 weeks? 2 months? A lot of speed simply comes from repetition and will work itself out. I'm assuming you're gearing up for June, which means there is plenty of time for this. I would recommend going back to the basics. Pound through the bibles and get a really firm grasp on the concepts. Once you have that, the speed will naturally come.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:29 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been studying since Jan for the June test. I started the testmasters course in March and I believe their massive amounts of HW is helping but I don't see that much of an increase in speed. I do a LOT of reading for my work but my habit has always been to first skim for general context and then re-read for detail. This habit is now coming back to bite me. I'm still in the mode where I have to read the stimulus twice even though I am much much faster with the answer choices once I've absorbed the stimulus since I've gotten better at noticing the sucker choices.
birdlaw117 wrote:How long have you been studying for? 2 weeks? 2 months? A lot of speed simply comes from repetition and will work itself out. I'm assuming you're gearing up for June, which means there is plenty of time for this. I would recommend going back to the basics. Pound through the bibles and get a really firm grasp on the concepts. Once you have that, the speed will naturally come.
I would recommend doing more drills, rather than PTs. Keep doing LR questions until you rarely have to reread the question/stimulus. Once you start doing that well, then start timing yourself. Try to do 10 questions in 10 minutes. Keep bumping up the quantity until you can do a full section in 30 minutes.

DC_Patent_Law

Bronze

Post by DC_Patent_Law » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks Birdlaw. I'm doing testmasters right now and they make you do a TON of practice LR questions which are helping. I'm already getting better at seeing sucker choices and moving through them quickly. To get used to the LSAT timing I'm trying to do 35 minute "drill sessions" where I try to do as many LR questions in 35 minutes as possible. Is that a good tactic?
Thanks
- DCPL
birdlaw117 wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been studying since Jan for the June test. I started the testmasters course in March and I believe their massive amounts of HW is helping but I don't see that much of an increase in speed. I do a LOT of reading for my work but my habit has always been to first skim for general context and then re-read for detail. This habit is now coming back to bite me. I'm still in the mode where I have to read the stimulus twice even though I am much much faster with the answer choices once I've absorbed the stimulus since I've gotten better at noticing the sucker choices.
I would recommend doing more drills, rather than PTs. Keep doing LR questions until you rarely have to reread the question/stimulus. Once you start doing that well, then start timing yourself. Try to do 10 questions in 10 minutes. Keep bumping up the quantity until you can do a full section in 30 minutes.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I hadn't thought of doing that, but it sounds pretty good. The only thing is with this much time before the test you should still put more emphasis on accuracy rather than speed. That said, you don't want to get used to having more time than in the actual exam. I think you're approaching it right. You will hit points where it feels like you aren't improving, then all of a sudden you are faster and more accurate. You just have to have faith that you really are improving all the time. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”