Can it be done? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Gemini

Gold

Can it be done?

Post by Gemini » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 pm

I took a Kaplan course in April-June '09. Didn't do me much good:

June '09 = 158
September '09 = 163 (barely any extra studying, more anxiety control than anything)

Since September, I haven't touched anything LSAT-related, lol.

Due to the fact that all the schools I wanted WL'ed me, I want to retake the LSAT (for the third time!) in September 2010 and hopefully score in the high 160's. Would be better if it's more...

Do you think it's possible for me to be able to do this?

1) What would be your advice? Kaplan obviously doesn't work well for me. Should I take Testmasters? What would be the best books for someone already familiar with the LSAT? Perhaps I need to learn new methods?

2) If I decide to reapply to some of the same schools, do I need to revamp my PS? All I'll be doing between now and next cycle is WORKING.

Thanks in advance, and please, no flames!

kaydish21

Bronze

Re: Can it be done?

Post by kaydish21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

If you're in the NYC area, then I would strongly recommend looking into a test prep company, TestWell NYC. I went there after comparing to Kaplan and they are really superior. Kaplan is only really designed to get you into the 160s and above the messy middle into the 80% but Testwell is designed to get you into the 170s and 97%+. I went way up using it. PM me if you have any questions.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 pm

kaydish21 wrote:If you're in the NYC area, then I would strongly recommend looking into a test prep company, TestWell NYC. I went there after comparing to Kaplan and they are really superior. Kaplan is only really designed to get you into the 160s and above the messy middle into the 80% but Testwell is designed to get you into the 170s and 97%+. I went way up using it. PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. What do you think about Testmasters? I've heard really good things about them.

And I'm really scared about taking another test prep course. What if it would end up being as a waste of money, like my Kaplan course was?

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:If you're in the NYC area, then I would strongly recommend looking into a test prep company, TestWell NYC. I went there after comparing to Kaplan and they are really superior. Kaplan is only really designed to get you into the 160s and above the messy middle into the 80% but Testwell is designed to get you into the 170s and 97%+. I went way up using it. PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. What do you think about Testmasters? I've heard really good things about them.

And I'm really scared about taking another test prep course. What if it would end up being as a waste of money, like my Kaplan course was?
1) Try studying on your own for a while. If you got a 163, you probably have the basics down and just need to improve speed and accuracy, which can be improved by taking PTs and reviewing each question afterwords.

2) You'll pretty much uniformly need a new personal statement. Here's a quote from UCLA: "It is strongly suggested that a re-applicant submit an updated personal statement and résumé"

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Thankfully, I will only need to do that with places I've already applied to. I can re-use for new schools, no?

Thanks, OK!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 pm

You can submit your 1st personal statement to schools you haven't applied yet, of course, but if your newer personal statement is better, obviously submit that.

-MW

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 pm

The Kaplan course, without a lot of concerted effort on your own, won't do you a lot of good. Just doing their homework won't get you far unless you do a crapload of practice questions on your own (You said you did barely any extra study). Do self-study. No need to waste $ on another class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”