How much can I make as a private lsat tutor? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
macaulian

New

How much can I make as a private lsat tutor?

Post by macaulian » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 pm

So I just got a 178, and I figure I would enjoy doing LSAT tutoring. I have been teaching for the past two years in a high school (one of the classes I taught was logic), and I was a mathematics supplemental instructor in college. How much do you figure I could make per hour tutoring? Ive been charging 35 for math tutoring.

fathergoose

Silver

Re: How much can I make as a private lsat tutor?

Post by fathergoose » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Lots of variables like if you are doing it on your own or working for a prep company Or if you are any good at it but at least $20/hr.

I work for a prep company teaching LSAT and it's a pretty cush job. After you teach for a little while it is as easy as rolling out of bed.

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 pm

The good prep companies (PowerScore) pay 50 $/hr for tutoring. If you go out on your own, you can probably pull in around 100 $/hr in a big city, but you'll have to hustle for clients, make sure you get paid, develop your own materials, etc.

OHKC42

New

Post by OHKC42 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 am

I had a tutor who received same score. Paid him $50/hr. I was his first client, though, and in retrospect, probably overpaid a bit...he'd yet to prove that his methods worked for anyone other than himself! Although, my score did improve with him, and I am happy with my score, which was a 169. (Diagnostic was 157.) Maybe charge $35/40 until you have a few successful clients to prove that you're legit/effective, then raise your price!

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:58 am

How many hours would you expect to work per week? Just in order to estimate how much a private LSAT tutor can earn a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Depends where you are but you can easily charge $50-60/hr.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:57 pm

JJDancer wrote:Depends where you are but you can easily charge $50-60/hr.
yeah it's sort of deceptive the amount you make as a private tutor. if you want to do it well, then you have to do a lot of work outside of actual tutoring hours (effectively decreasing your hourly rate), constantly formulating more effective approaches for different students (since they all learn a little bit differently, this can be difficult sometimes), designing and improving curriculum (really time consuming), being on the ball about picking up clients between tests (word-of-mouth is still numero uno, in this respect), tons of driving time (and gas), rescheduled appointments, etc. if this is a short term thing, it's really better just to work for a company, in my opinion. personally, i do it because i am entertaining the thought of starting my own prep business and i don't want to sign a non-compete agreement which would prevent me from possibly having that as an option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”