Does this study plan sound good? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SeanB

New

Does this study plan sound good?

Post by SeanB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm taking the October test. I want to use the PowerScore methods, and unfortunately, all of their classes are near Harvard. I live on the other side of town I'm a full-time teacher, and I'm involved in a political campaign. The two nights per week from 6-10, on the other side of town is not good for me. On the other the other hand, I have bunch of time over the summer to study my butt off, my weekends are free, and PS offers a free retake, as long as it's for a different session.

This is my plan of attack. If it matters, my main weakness is Logic Games. I am strong in the other two areas and strongest in LR. My preliminary goal is near perfect scores in both LR and RC and good enough LG to get me 170 or higher.

1. From now until May, study independently the Kaplan primer, Powerscore LG bible, maybe the the LR bible, and do a few practice tests to prepare for the PS weekend class.

2 Use what I learn at the weekend class to focus my studies and work hard on my own during the summer focusing on perfecting LR and RC and getting my LG's to reasonable level. I can also get some tutoring from time to time from friend who scored 175.

3. Take the free retake of the weekend class in September with a much better understanding of everything, especially the LG. Focus on the most advanced RC and LR, and use the instructor to fill in the gaps, especially in the LG's, that I wasn't able to solve on my own.

4. At or right after the second weekend, Determine a target score and personal strategy for test day.

5. Study like hell until the test - practice tests, practice tests, practice tests, analyze, analyze, analyze.

6. Destroy the test and add Harvard to my list when my 180 comes back (OK, just kidding). I'll take 175 and BC with good money. 3.6/180 is still a stretch for Harvard.

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

CMDantes

Bronze

Re: Does this study plan sound good?

Post by CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm

I think you've got a solid plan. So long as you have the discipline to keep at it I think the weekend classes should be fine, but be advised that most prep-course teachers do not recommend the weekend courses.

It's also beneficial to have that strong positive attitude, although I have to say it's hard maintaining it when your PT scores start to dip for whatever reason. Keep it up, it will definitely help.

Anyway, good luck!

SeanB

New

Post by SeanB » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks. I know the PT scores will vary. It is what it is. I feel like it's a solid plan. I have the discipline for the study, and my biggest motivator is getting into the best school at the best price. As an older student, I actually know what the debt and/or addition income will mean to my life.

Here's the thing, if I could take a more convenient Princeton or Kaplan course, instead of Powerscore weekend classes, would that be superior to self-study and weekend courses from program which is superior? Would be help or hurt the result to take a Kaplan course, but self study before with the PS bible? I want to learn a system and stick with it.

OHKC42

New

Post by OHKC42 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I took the Powerscore weekend course before taking the Feb test and found it to be really helpful. ( I just got my score back...97th percentile, so not bad.) It really helped me focus right before the test (I went up 4 points from my last PT.) I had a similar study plan to yours, except I only took the weekend course once. If you prepare adequately before the class and know what to focus on before you attend the class, I think you'll find that you can glean a lot of helpful information from the course without spending hours in a classroom and hundreds of dollars for instruction. A helpful hint would be to use the the Powerscore books, so you know how to classify the problems you're having trouble with in Powerscore lingo (it will make it easier to know what to look for/ask questions.) Also, look at the schedule before you attend so you know if something you need to focus on is goig to be covered towards the end of the day...it does drag a bit the last hour!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”