LSAT Test Day Stress--Managing Test Anxiety?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ljbc03

New

LSAT Test Day Stress--Managing Test Anxiety??

Post by ljbc03 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

I took the Feb test and felt very prepared walking in. However, as the test progressed I got nervous and I couldn't think clearly. I think this hugely effected my score.

I walked in knowing I studied as much as I could and did every practice test I could, many of them twice. I was scoring mostly between 164-174 (my scores varied a lot-due to RC, I can't always finish).

For LG I always got -0 or -1.

When the test started, I got LG first. I did first two sets, great, then I froze on the third and got nervous that I couldn't pass the "wall" and was nervous through the rest of the set.

Normally, I could have pushed myself through during PTs, but it was much harder to think clearly on test day due to anxiety. I also felt it on RC as I cld barely remember the passage after reading it--none the less answer the questions.

I know a lot of people experience this.

Has anyone successfully found ways to manage this? Do any of you take medicine or have any sort of anxiety-coping methods that you've found work for text anxiety.

Thanks.

Knock

Platinum

Re: LSAT Test Day Stress--Managing Test Anxiety??

Post by Knock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 pm

ljbc03 wrote:I took the Feb test and felt very prepared walking in. However, as the test progressed I got nervous and I couldn't think clearly. I think this hugely effected my score.

I walked in knowing I studied as much as I could and did every practice test I could, many of them twice. I was scoring mostly between 164-174 (my scores varied a lot-due to RC, I can't always finish).

For LG I always got -0 or -1.

When the test started, I got LG first. I did first two sets, great, then I froze on the third and got nervous that I couldn't pass the "wall" and was nervous through the rest of the set.

Normally, I could have pushed myself through during PTs, but it was much harder to think clearly on test day due to anxiety. I also felt it on RC as I cld barely remember the passage after reading it--none the less answer the questions.

I know a lot of people experience this.

Has anyone successfully found ways to manage this? Do any of you take medicine or have any sort of anxiety-coping methods that you've found work for text anxiety.

Thanks.
Learn some breathing/relaxation techniques. I learned some through my major (Communications) and they're moderately helpful.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:56 pm

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:59 pm

I woke up early and went for a run with my dog. Pushed myself just hard enough to tire myself out a little.

It worked. I went in feeling very refreshed. Ended up talking to a guy I knew before the test that rode his bike there. We both seemed like the only people there not pulling our hair out waiting.

eupelia

New

Post by eupelia » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:16 pm

I totally agree that a short burst of exercise can help release a lot of that nervous energy and help put some endorphins in your system.

This may sound silly, but I brought a picture of my fiance and my mom smiling and hugging each other at the beach. Just focused on it while I waited then looked at it again during the break.

Another option may seem crazy, but do you have a close friend who would never want to apply to law school (in case their score sucks) who would be willing to take the test with you? If you really felt nerves affected your score, it might be worth it to have a friendly face there.

Finally, I think one key for me was to get dropped off by my mother who is so optimistic and wonderful and supportive, and I chatted with my fiance on the drive there. I also brought extra highlighters, sharpeners and pencils with me to the test for folks who did not have enough, and I gave them to people, and they looked so happy and appreciative that it gave me a good feeling and I felt like I was helping someone.

I also spoke a quick "let's do this shit!" to the room as we all seated ourselves and the folks who smiled and did their clap or said "that's right" or "amen" made us all calm down a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 pm

I met a study partner two weeks before the test. We got up early and ate a huge breakfast. I know it's not recommended but it always makes me feel better to be really full and relaxed. It was nice to just chat and eat breakfast slowly.

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:Reading this may help: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=91775
Was surprised to see beta-blockers mentioned in this post. I was previously a musician and would take them for big performances. For me, they always helped physically (in terms of steadying my hand and preventing sweaty palms which was critical to playing the instrument). However, I never thought of taking beta blockers for the LSAT since I have to worry a lot less about having a steady hand and am more worried about a psychological freak out. I can't help but thinking those postings were more a placebo effect than anything else. Anyone know anything specific in terms of what beta blockers are medically capable of treating?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”