First Diagnostic Went Bad Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jagsta

New

First Diagnostic Went Bad

Post by jagsta » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

I took a Kaplan diagnostic test last night, and in short, went horrible...137! ($#@*!) Considering that I hadn't even laid eyes on any sort of LSAT exam (actual or practice) was some consolation. Though I was disturbed to know that on intro night the instructor indicated that average points gained was in the neighborhood of 8-12 (from start to finish of the course), placing me best case scenario at 149. My plans are to take the October test and stick a 165. Am I making to much of this first diag? Or shall I interpret it as a, "hey why don't you look into that junior college law school experiment?" Need some encouragment.

DE3

New

Re: First Diagnostic Went Bad

Post by DE3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm

jagsta wrote:I took a Kaplan diagnostic test last night, and in short, went horrible...137! ($#@*!) Considering that I hadn't even laid eyes on any sort of LSAT exam (actual or practice) was some consolation. Though I was disturbed to know that on intro night the instructor indicated that average points gained was in the neighborhood of 8-12 (from start to finish of the course), placing me best case scenario at 149. My plans are to take the October test and stick a 165. Am I making to much of this first diag? Or shall I interpret it as a, "hey why don't you look into that junior college law school experiment?" Need some encouragment.
Don't worry about the diagnostic, especially if that's the first time you've ever seen LSAT questions. I took a KAPLAN course too, my diagnostic was a 145 after I'd seen the test a couple times before, and ended up getting a 162 for my first actual score.

Just make sure you do the work they give you, and even more so the recommended work. Take advantage of all the logic games they give you to work on. And don't be worried if you don't see ideal improvement throughout the course. My best practice test with KAPLAN was a 155.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm

I improved 21 points from my diagnostic and my prep tests were a high as 29 points above it. If you're testing in October, you have plenty of time to get where you want to be.

146 to 167

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm

While everyone has their limits, this test is something that can be "learned". If you study both diligently and intelligently then 165 is a real possibility. My first diagnostic was in the low 140's and I studied my way about 25 points up. Don't be discouraged.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 pm

adh07d wrote:While everyone has their limits, this test is something that can be "learned". If you study both diligently and intelligently then 165 is a real possibility. My first diagnostic was in the low 140's and I studied my way about 25 points up. Don't be discouraged.
Wow - a 168 that's definitely enough to call people idiots in other threads.
Lol - I got a few points shy of that score without even preparing. (well, aside from about a few weeks of after-work light PT'ing)
Douche.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:49 pm

diagnostic 140 or 143 (cant remember)
last PT 161

no course, quick jog through the bibles and focusing on FOCUSING, lol...

Practice makes perfect!

ilovethelsat

New

Post by ilovethelsat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 am

Can you post your scores for each section?

jagsta

New

Post by jagsta » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:12 am

Was my first diag, but sure, I'll post them. I expect to post'em loud and proud! Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

adpitan

New

Post by adpitan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Thank you for this thread. There is some hope! I took my first diagnostic on Tuesday and scored a 141. I had started to study for the LSAT last year but really only got in about 4 hours of full study time. I haven't touched my books since and I dug in deep for this diagnostic and was sad when I saw my score of 141. I am not taking a course but do have all the PowerScore Bibles, a few other LSAT books from other companies, LSAT tests 54-59 and all the "10 more" books, plus the super prep. I am so ready to dig in deep and do well on the June LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”