my review of the Powerscore class Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JDoodle

New

my review of the Powerscore class

Post by JDoodle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:46 am

My Powerscore class just ended this week, and I thought I'd give a quick review since so many people ask about them, warn against them, etc.

The instructor literally stands in front of you and tells you exactly what you already know from the bibles and is on the page in front of you. This is not necessarily a bad thing-- I went into it with the attitude that the class was not meant to teach me, but rather to reinforce what I had already studied on my own. Listening to it is taking the information in a different way, and I'm an auditory learner, so I found that helpful.

I thought the materials you get were excellent- I got a 25lb package full of materials through UPS. It is broken down into 12 "lessons" and each lesson mixes in materials from two of the sections. Again, the actual material is the stuff you get from the bibles. However, each lesson has a homework with it that has more of the specific types of questions than what you get in the bibles, additional drills etc.

Speaking of which, the homework is the most important aspect of the class. Do it-- ALL of it, otherwise you're throwing away your money.

I had already gone through both bibles twice when I got to the course. I think this is the best approach. Again, use it as a tool to reinforce, not to learn for the first time.

They advertise 64 live lecture hours-- this is kind of a scummy advertising lie, at least according to my experience. The classes were supposed to be four hours, and starting about halfway through they would only take about 2 or 3 hours. I mean, we got all the stuff that we needed to get through done, so it's not the biggest deal... but don't let that number wow you.

Also, you get access to the online student center which I think is a pretty good resource. They give you additional tests that you can score on there and it breaks it down into exactly what types of questions you get right/wrong. Very useful, IMHO.

My class was for the February test so it was all condensed into one month. We met 4 times per week. This was too condensed as there is a great deal of homework and no time to "absorb" the information. It wasn't the biggest deal for me since I had already studied the stuff, but I think it made it very difficult for my classmates to get their scores to budge.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer them.

MURPH

Silver

Re: my review of the Powerscore class

Post by MURPH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks. I won't be recommending Testmasters anymore in light of their recent misbehavior to the TLS poster so I'll pass on what you said about Powerscore.

lawman335

Bronze

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am

I suggest all the people in the board not write very lengthy question as it may become bore to read it, just make your query short and sweet so that u will get more replies................

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am

lawman335 wrote:I suggest all the people in the board not write very lengthy question as it may become bore to read it, just make your query short and sweet so that u will get more replies................
? :|

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:47 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
lawman335 wrote:I suggest all the people in the board not write very lengthy question as it may become bore to read it, just make your query short and sweet so that u will get more replies................
? :|
I don't think the OP was looking for other peoples opinion, rather he was offering his own if we care. The longer posts are not great for starting discussions but fine for editorializing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Whatever happened to that FOB :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: thread?

Edit: Oh, here it is.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=76153

UTexas

New

Post by UTexas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 pm

JDoodle wrote:They advertise 64 live lecture hours-- this is kind of a scummy advertising lie, at least according to my experience. The classes were supposed to be four hours, and starting about halfway through they would only take about 2 or 3 hours. I mean, we got all the stuff that we needed to get through done, so it's not the biggest deal... but don't let that number wow you.
That part absolutely amazes me. The TestMasters class features 15 four-hour lectures (versus 12 lectures for PowerScore). We used every minute of that time in my class, and I felt every minute of it was useful. I'd love to know where PS finds all of these hours to cut out of the lesson program.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:16 pm

I suggest all the noobs on this board not post in threads without reading them as it may make you seem like a dumbass, just don't post at all actually so that you won't annoy everyone..

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 pm

UTexas wrote:
JDoodle wrote:They advertise 64 live lecture hours-- this is kind of a scummy advertising lie, at least according to my experience. The classes were supposed to be four hours, and starting about halfway through they would only take about 2 or 3 hours. I mean, we got all the stuff that we needed to get through done, so it's not the biggest deal... but don't let that number wow you.
That part absolutely amazes me. The TestMasters class features 15 four-hour lectures (versus 12 lectures for PowerScore). We used every minute of that time in my class, and I felt every minute of it was useful. I'd love to know where PS finds all of these hours to cut out of the lesson program.
Me too. Princeton Review classes are 24 sessions of 3.5 hours each (total of 84 hours), and the only point at which I'm ever able to end early is the very last class (and even then, sometimes I don't).

Now, my students normally come in knowing NOTHING, so we're building up from zero. That might make a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDoodle

New

Post by JDoodle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:45 pm

To be fair there were less than 10 people in my class, so maybe there were less questions and we were able to go faster.

And yea, and this post wasn't really a question. I just thought my experiences might be a resource for someone considering whether or not to take a class.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Whatever happened to that FOB :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: thread?

That was absolutely craptastic! What an epic post of nothiness-hilarity (referring to the link)

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm

JDoodle wrote: They advertise 64 live lecture hours-- this is kind of a scummy advertising lie, at least according to my experience. The classes were supposed to be four hours, and starting about halfway through they would only take about 2 or 3 hours.
This is why all of the handwringing and righteous outrage about Testmasters after their secretary posted here is so amusing to me.

Just about ALL of these companies are shady in one way or another. TM has an egomaniacal bitch of a secretary insulting and outing posters on TLS. TM is neurotically stingy with their materials. PS and Blueprint are started after their founders flat-out steal TM's material and techniques (perhaps justifying TM's secretiveness to an extent). At least some PS classes end very early. Kaplan allows people with a 166 to teach your LSAT class. Hell, Kaplan doesn't even require that their teachers take an officially administered LSAT to teach a class. Don't know much about Princeton Review, but I'm sure there's something less than holy about them too.

Bottom line is that none of these test prep companies is a high-integrity outfit.

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:06 pm

JasonR wrote:
JDoodle wrote: They advertise 64 live lecture hours-- this is kind of a scummy advertising lie, at least according to my experience. The classes were supposed to be four hours, and starting about halfway through they would only take about 2 or 3 hours.
This is why all of the handwringing and righteous outrage about Testmasters after their secretary posted here is so amusing to me.

Just about ALL of these companies are shady in one way or another. TM has an egomaniacal bitch of a secretary insulting and outing posters on TLS. TM is neurotically stingy with their materials. PS and Blueprint are started after their founders flat-out steal TM's material and techniques (perhaps justifying TM's secretiveness to an extent). At least some PS classes end very early. Kaplan allows people with a 166 to teach your LSAT class. Hell, Kaplan doesn't even require that their teachers take an officially administered LSAT to teach a class. Don't know much about Princeton Review, but I'm sure there's something less than holy about them too.

Bottom line is that none of these test prep companies is a high-integrity outfit.
Whenever I feel like irritating Killoran I forward him shit like this. Explain to me, if you will, how Dave Killoran was able to steal from himself. He was the co-founder and co-owner of TM, not an employee.
Another thing, PS classes are not supposed to end early, ever. The instructors are given specific instructions on how to handle a lecture finishing in less than four hours, and it doesn't involve leaving early.
UTexas, I asked Dave the same thing years ago. (I've known DK for a long, long, time.) The answer is PS has fewer lecture hours than TM because Dave felt the TM course had a lot of redundancies in it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:12 pm

JasonR wrote:Kaplan allows people with a 166 to teach your LSAT class. Hell, Kaplan doesn't even require that their teachers take an officially administered LSAT to teach a class. Don't know much about Princeton Review, but I'm sure there's something less than holy about them too.
In my experience with Princeton Review, they require 98th percentile (170+ LSAT) and that it be on an actual administered test. They also wouldn't end class early unless something major came up, we stayed for the whole thing every time up until the very end. Also, the administered practice tests were done on Saturdays, not on our class days, so they didn't cut into the number of hours of teaching time we received.

The only real consistent complaint I've ever heard about PR is that their method isn't geared toward getting people 180s, it's only designed to elevate someone to low 170s at best. However, that was fine with me because I was originally at a 157 and 170 was what I wanted, and what I got from the course. For anyone who's testing below 160 I'd recommend PR for a solid program that can get you a 10-12 point boost.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:15 pm

this is beautiful.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 pm

edit: deleted by me
Last edited by crossingforHYS on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolhopeful123

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful123 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 pm

I am planning to take it in June. Do you suggest studying now? I checked the PowerScore course and it starts in April here. TestMasters isn't offered where I am. I took Kaplan Extreme already but am cancelling February (so you can guess I did pretty bad on the test).

What's the difference between the PowerScore course and Kaplan Extreme?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JDoodle

New

Post by JDoodle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm

not sure of the difference...

If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, I would definitely study beforehand. I don't think the class alone is enough to maximize your score. I guess it depends on where you are and how much you want to go up.

macaroni

New

Post by macaroni » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 am

Last edited by macaroni on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmbitiousPanda

New

Post by AmbitiousPanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 pm

I had already gone through both bibles twice when I got to the course. I think this is the best approach. Again, use it as a tool to reinforce, not to learn for the first time.

JDoodle-

I signed up for the PowerScore class that starts in April in order to prep for the June LSAT. You recommend investing in the bibles and going through those before the class starts?
I have the huge box full of all the materials already- should I just through those and pull out some of the information that seems really important?

Thanks in advance.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:The only real consistent complaint I've ever heard about PR is that their method isn't geared toward getting people 180s, it's only designed to elevate someone to low 170s at best.
People say this, but they're flat-out wrong. I used TPR methods to score my 176.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

washed out

New

Post by washed out » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Unemployed wrote:Whatever happened to that FOB :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: thread?

That is a great thread. Would read again.

JDoodle

New

Post by JDoodle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:39 pm

AmbitiousPanda--

I would keep those materials for the class. I would concentrate on the Logical Reasoning & Logic Games bible-- I think you can hold off on the Reading Comp materials for the class. You can find those online for ~$35 bucks each.

In the grand scheme of things, I think the investment will be worth it. Higher LSAT scores will pay off either by getting into better schools or getting more money/scholarships-- worth the extra 60-70 buck investment. At least that's the way I'm looking at it...

You want the methods to really become second nature so you can apply them without even thinking about it. IMHO, That's what will make the difference between an average score and an outstanding one.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:52 pm

tomwatts wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:The only real consistent complaint I've ever heard about PR is that their method isn't geared toward getting people 180s, it's only designed to elevate someone to low 170s at best.
People say this, but they're flat-out wrong. I used TPR methods to score my 176.
I'm glad to hear someone disagree with this. I just hadn't yet.

dut99002

New

I took the Powerscore full course last fall.

Post by dut99002 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:57 pm

It did help raise my score, but (not surprisingly) only after I practiced on my own a lot. If you miss class, don't do your homework, don't actively try to improve your LSAT knowledge and skills, etc., you'll very likely not get any better and will be wasting your money. This would seem fairly obvious, but I learned from my own personal setbacks that like anything else in life, you'll get out of the LSAT what you put into it, assuming you're approaching your study plan in an effective way and have good study materials (not all LSAT prep materials are created equal).

My teacher was very experienced and had been with Powerscore for a number of years. We had plenty of class hours and had four or five practice tests before the end of our class time. Powerscore just recently started providing a new set of materials for their course (the heavy box that was mentioned earlier in this thread) which are FULL of a lot of practice problems. They are similar to the bibles, but with some added stuff and much, much more practice material. I wish that Powerscore offered their organized practice problems seperately so that students who didn't take the course could purchase the book; I think it's an excellent supplement for students who are doing self-study with the Powerscore Bibles and official practice tests.

In summary, I think the teaching was very good, but not excellent and my particular teacher's LSAT knowledge was without quetsion very sound. The practice materials are very, very good as well. If you were motivated enough and assuming the same Powerscore materials are available to those students who take the weekend course (which is much cheaper), I'd almost recommend taking the weekend course to get your feet wet and more importantly to get your own copy of their books and practice materials. Having a live instructor helped me though since I sometimes struggled to understand some of the concepts on my own, even after repeatedly going over them in the Powerscore Bibles and practice materials.

Another positive about their course is that it is a bit cheaper then their competitors or at least that was the case last fall.

I don't regret taking their course and would recommend it to anyone who feels that they couldn't study well enough on their own.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”