Stories of decent score after feeling terrible after LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jelizabeth88

New

Re: Stories of decent score after feeling terrible after LSAT?

Post by jelizabeth88 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 pm

I have a really good story about doing rather poorly after feeling GREAT during and after the test. Really quite a blow.

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:I have a really good story about doing rather poorly after feeling GREAT during and after the test. Really quite a blow.
Can't even imagine. I'm terrified that I'm going to get my score and be off by 10 points from where I expected and never know whether it was because I actually got questions wrong or just misbubbled.

(Mostly idle concern, but during the test on Saturday I did realize after the first page of an LR section that I'd somehow skipped #1 and had bubbled #s 2-8 into bubbles 1-7. Luckily, I noticed.)

gltm

New

Post by gltm » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 pm

dynomite wrote:
jelizabeth88 wrote:I have a really good story about doing rather poorly after feeling GREAT during and after the test. Really quite a blow.
Can't even imagine. I'm terrified that I'm going to get my score and be off by 10 points from where I expected and never know whether it was because I actually got questions wrong or just misbubbled.

(Mostly idle concern, but during the test on Saturday I did realize after the first page of an LR section that I'd somehow skipped #1 and had bubbled #s 2-8 into bubbles 1-7. Luckily, I noticed.)

WOW that just scares the &*^*&% out of me!! :(
What if I misbubbled!!! :o

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 am

gltm wrote:
dynomite wrote:

WOW that just scares the &*^*&% out of me!! :(
Dude, this is my worst nightmare. Imagine getting a score of 150 on the test because you misbubbled an entire section! How the hell would you ever explain that to schools? And on the Feb LSAT, how would you ever be able to prove that's what happened? Good god. You just have to figure you wouldn't be that dumb and oblivious.

In Sept. I thought I did ok on the LSAT, guessed on maybe 5 or 6 questions, ended up getting a horrible 163 with 20 misses! Of course, the problem was that I only studied for two weeks before the test, didn't sleep the night before, didn't practice any of the newer tests, etc. And I only missed 4 on LG, since I guessed on those 4 questions. -11 on LR, -5 on RC. Barf. What a shock that score was. Just goes to show that studying a few months for this test really is worthwhile.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 am

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

gltm wrote:WOW that just scares the &*^*&% out of me!! :(
Yeah. One of the first things I did upon returning home was double check the LSAC's hand scoring policy -- I erased the hell out of those answers and rebubbled in the correct ones, but you could still see the faint gray tinge on the ones I'd erased.
Q: How may I request a rescoring of my answer sheet?

A: If you wish to verify or contest the machine scoring of your answer sheet after you have received your LSAT Score Report, you may request a rescoring by hand. Send a signed request to LSAC, 662 Penn Street, Box 2000-T, Newtown, PA 18940 or fax it to 215.968.1277. Your request must be received no later than 60 days after the test date.

Include: your name, LSAC account number, the last four digits of your Social Security/Insurance identification number, the test date, the test center name and code number, your reason for requesting the handscore, and payment for the $41 ($43 CDN) handscore fee (check, money order, or credit card).
Obviously this doesn't help if you simply misbubbled and didn't catch it, but it's something.

Sorry for giving you nightmares... :shock:

lemonpie

New

Post by lemonpie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

I felt terrible after my second LSAT but I didn't cancel since I canceled the first time. Waiting for the score was the longest 3 weeks of my life. I was expecting 165-169 but I ended up with a 171.
You could have pulled a decent score even with -7 from LG if you did well on other sections.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am

my scores have been 164 165 168 and then I got a t14 to tell LSAC to let me take it for a 4th time this past feb

I came out of the 164 feeling amazing

Came out of the 165 feeling awful

Came out of the 168 also feeling dead on

I came out of this one feeling like i did really well on every section up to the reading comp. I have been practicing mid 170's and would love to get off some of these t10 waitlists with a break of 170

I think the conclusion you can draw from this is that you never have any idea. I considered canceling this score but then after looking at TLS and seeing everybody complain about the games (whose difficulty usually sets the curve) I have decided to keep it because I did them all with a minute or so to spare. My hope is that others' poor game performance will offset my poor RC performance. Remember it's all relative. That plus regardless of what schools say, IMO they all take the highest score and if they tell you otherwise, they lie. So even if you did worse, who cares? Don't cancel.

LawCurious

New

Post by LawCurious » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:24 pm

I almost canceled my score because I felt I hadn't studied enough (took an LSAT course but then didn't touch any materials between the end of the course and the exam a few months later). To boot I sort of felt like I zoned out on the test, wasn't really sure where I was mentally. Definitely didn't feel like I was at my sharpest. Up until the last day to cancel, I almost did. At the end I had to basically restrain myself to keep from sending in the form I had already printed and signed.

What kept me from canceling was that 1.) the test I took had a really, really hard RC, which is my best section, and a pretty easy LG, which is my worst. I thought, I can't ever get a test that plays to my strengths as well as this one. And 2.) sheer curiosity. Also a bit of 3.) not wanting to take it again haha and realizing that only a few top schools average scores.

Well I ended up with a 177. I got a -0 on LG and only -2 on that really hard RC (which is about where I PT). Overall score was six points higher than my PT average. I think now that when I felt like I was "zoning out", I must have really been getting into the zone.

I was shocked by where my score ended up, especially since it was significantly higher than my PT scores. I attribute it to luck getting a test that played exactly to my strengths.

Lessons I learned: you aren't necessarily a good judge of your own performance, and "how you feel after the test" can be an illusion; you might have done better, or might have done worse than you felt. Also, think about whether the test played to your strengths. And, of course, my story is only one of many -- I'm obviously not saying that if you don't cancel you'll end up with a 177. I could have gotten screwed, it just turned out that I got very, very lucky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

imisscollege wrote:That plus regardless of what schools say, IMO they all take the highest score and if they tell you otherwise, they lie. So even if you did worse, who cares? Don't cancel.
Do you beleive scoring lower will in no way negatively affect an application? Have you ever heard of somone who submitted an application with a score that was borderline, re-took, scored lower, and then still got accepted?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”