Taking a PT one section at a time Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
granger

Bronze

Taking a PT one section at a time

Post by granger » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 pm

How legitimate do you consider scores from a PT you took one section at a time? I ask because I scored two points above my highest PT on PT58, and I do think I've progressed enough to justify the improvement, but it was my last PT I had and the test is Saturday, so I don't have anything to verify that. Obviously each section was timed, but when I sat down to take the test originally, something came up, and I've been busy since, so I've done one section a day.

I took the December test and endurance wasn't a problem. My last section was my strongest (though order was also a factor in that). But I also haven't taken a full PT since then -- I went through the LGB, most of the RCB, and took sections and sections worth of PTs, but I didn't have any PTs left in the 50s or high 40s to take other than 58. I've been doing much better on the individual sections than ever before, but I'd obviously more confident in these results if they came in the context of full PTs.

Thoughts?

DannyBoy_07

New

Re: Taking a PT one section at a time

Post by DannyBoy_07 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Interesting question.

If you feel like when you take a full PT, whether it be 4 or 5 sections, and feel fatigue set in, then your score may not be legititmate.

For me, I am totally used to the pacing, I can take the 4 section PT straight through, or take a 5 section with the break and yada yada.

In summary, if you feel like fatigue isn't an issue, then no I don't think it is a big deal. With that said, you shouldn't base your LSAT average around that score, but it is still telling.

Perjury

Bronze

Post by Perjury » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:21 am

Your score is not legititmate, you have the luxury of prolonged mental rest between sections which is not afforded during the real battle.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:27 am

During the real test, you will literally have 8-15 seconds between sections. It's a horrible idea to take PT's one section at a time. Unless your drilling individual sections, make an effort to take PT's under strict conditions.

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 am

When I moved from individual sections to full length practice tests, I started getting about 2-3 mistakes extra per whole test. I had zero problem with fatigue/endurance; what tripped me up was moving from section to section, which is an additional mental hurdle.

You mileage may vary, of course.

The way I eventually reduced those mistakes was by finishing my sections below time. I'll see if the strategy can be maintained on test day this Saturday. So the answer, I think, is it depends on too much to give a real answer. If you also finished your individual sections below time (e.g. 30 minutes), I would say they probably are closer to your real score than if they were 35 minutes all out for each section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”