So the wheels have fallen off my LSAT train. Advice Needed Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Madman

New

So the wheels have fallen off my LSAT train. Advice Needed

Post by Madman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

So I have no idea what to do. I was doing a test every day last week and was on a roll. I had done about 21 PT's broke through the 170 mark a few times. Things were good. Then things started to fall apart. Saturday went poorly and I dropped to a 162, did a test Monday and I could not comprehend anything, the words went in but made no sense. I got a 164 but I felt like I completely underperformed. I decided to do only a day of light review the next day and now today I did PT 56 and again it felt like I could not comprehend anything. I was lathargic at making inferences, slow at reading etc. I don't know what to do. I am definitely feeling like I am having a complete brain breakdown.

Any advice about what to do between now and test day would really be appreciated.

Thanks

booboo

Silver

Re: So the wheels have fallen off my LSAT train. Advice Needed

Post by booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Madman wrote:So I have no idea what to do. I was doing a test every day last week and was on a roll. I had done about 21 PT's broke through the 170 mark a few times. Things were good. Then things started to fall apart. Saturday went poorly and I dropped to a 162, did a test Monday and I could not comprehend anything, the words went in but made no sense. I got a 164 but I felt like I completely underperformed. I decided to do only a day of light review the next day and now today I did PT 56 and again it felt like I could not comprehend anything. I was lathargic at making inferences, slow at reading etc. I don't know what to do. I am definitely feeling like I am having a complete brain breakdown.

Any advice about what to do between now and test day would really be appreciated.

Thanks
--ImageRemoved--

On a more serious note, relax. Much easier said then done. It seems like test day anxiety is getting the best of you. I think you should take it easy, know that you have the ability to do well, regardless what the most recent PT's might say, and destroy the LSAT (assuming you take it this weekend).

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Sounds like anxiety. You need to calm down. The morning of the test do a quick game you know you can do with your eyes closed. This is going to be fine. Deep, cleansing breaths....

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Madman wrote:So I have no idea what to do. I was doing a test every day last week and was on a roll. I had done about 21 PT's broke through the 170 mark a few times. Things were good. Then things started to fall apart. Saturday went poorly and I dropped to a 162, did a test Monday and I could not comprehend anything, the words went in but made no sense. I got a 164 but I felt like I completely underperformed. I decided to do only a day of light review the next day and now today I did PT 56 and again it felt like I could not comprehend anything. I was lathargic at making inferences, slow at reading etc. I don't know what to do. I am definitely feeling like I am having a complete brain breakdown.

Thanks
This is classic LSAT burn out. Stop studying now, and don't do any prep before the test Saturday. That will be enough time to fix the burn out and you'll be back to where you were.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks
Ugh it just deleted my response.
Ok so summary:

1. sorry but the later lsats are harder :( so dropping a little in score is normal
2. anxiety will kill kill kill your lsat score
sooo my advice is this:

1. STOP STUDYING TODAY. DO not study today. Take a day off. Relax. If you do anything at all, redo a logic game test untimed that you've already done well on. Build back up that confidence. But Really what I did, when I felt like you, that helped a lot was to take the whole day off, read trashy magazines, watch dumb t.v. shows like 19 and counting, go running have a nice relaxed lunch and dinner and not thinkg at all about the LSAT. (KEY POINT HERE) Then I got a really long, nice night of sleep.

The most important thing at this point is that you're relaxed and well slept. Take a tylenol PM and go to sleep at 9 so that you can wake up at 6 the next morning get a coffeee and a scone from starbucks and take an UNTIMED LSAT tomorrow.
Then take a nice two hour break for lunch in the middle of the day. And take a timed test in the afternoon.
Then Friday, take the day off from testing. Re-do a couple passages, and logic games relatively quickly and build up that confidence, then watch a movie and get to sleep early

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glmn01

New

Post by glmn01 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

I took that LSAT last September and let me caveat this by saying that I scored a 155.

Basically the month prior I was taking a full on practice exam every day. My scored varied from 152 to 157 and, through the test-like atmosphere I subjected myself too, my scored remained consistently within that score frame. (I HATE standardized scores and have always performed less than satisfactorily). Anyway, 1 week out from the LSAT, I started hitting like 149-151 (VERY SCARY) so I think I know how you are feeling. (although I realize your 160-170 range is much sweeter than my 155!!). While I was freaked out, taking the test soooo many times in my practice sessions really helped prepare me for the length as well as the type of questions. I believe that this familiarity really paid off in that I didn't start shaking during the real test and absolutely blow it. (to those 160-180 scorers out there... no joking on my 155. I am proud of it.)

Regardless, just stay focused and try not to stress. You do not need to be too stressed come test day. Get a good night's sleep. Wake up early and shower and TAKE A WALK do a little exercise to help clear your mind. While taking copius amounts of practice exams might make you feel like you are in control let's face it: they allow you to build a cadence in terms of what the format is like. It's a good thing being able to know how you are going to feel when you read through the logic games on the real LSAT knowing that you have done it 50 times. This familiarity (regardless of you dropping scores of late) will really help you take the test smoothly. Chalk the lower scores up to repetitiveness and take a deep breath...

In short, relax! You got it!

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Madman wrote:did a test Monday and I could not comprehend anything, the words went in but made no sense
This happened to me once before, too -- I'd worked a 9 hour day and was exhausted, and tried to start the test at 8pm. Bad idea.

As others have said, this is textbook "burned out." Stop taking PTs altogether.

If you MUST study tomorrow, limit yourself to a few hours and only work on questions that you got wrong on your prior tests. What types did you struggle with? Why? What do you need to watch out for.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I was doing the LG section, which was first, and I couldn't get anywhere on any of the games. I was just flipping back and forth trying to find any questions I could even start on. Then on RC I was going so slow, I didn't even get to try the last 6. On the whole test I ended up missing 24. I usually miss half that. So, I took about 5 days off...it felt weird because I felt like it was being counterproductive. I felt like I was going to forget something... But, the truth is the LSAT is about strategy and understanding, it isn't like there are any "facts" to remember (or forget). Taking a few days off will let your brain refocus and you'll feel refreshed when you take the LSAT. Hopefully, that way your brain won't be too fatigued to get going on game day.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

booboo wrote:

Thanks
--ImageRemoved--
Okonkwo says study harder, reap great yams...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
booboo wrote:

Thanks
--ImageRemoved--
Okonkwo says study harder, reap great yams...
Thank you!

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am with the majority opinion on here in that I am done with full PT's. My question now is how do I get my confidence back after this streak of bad tests, so I am ready on test day (I was sure hoping I would not be going into test day on this kind of sour note).

Should I do an individual section tomorrow or just review mistakes or do nothing?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks
Your performance has peaked. You need to relax. Think about it this way. If you can make the score you want, then why bother burning yourself out before the test. Relax and be fresh for the test, and don't worry about this weeks PT scores.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

if youve hit over 170, realize that you have the skill. the lsat is a skill-based test. once youve got it, youre not going to lose it that fast. I scored below my average two times in a row, and this time around I just told myself that I have the ability to kill every single section as long as I dont let the test own me. You know the material. If you could do it at home, you can do it in the testing center. the only difference is your mindset. the lsat is standardized--the test itself will be just as hard as the other tests youve taken. you took those practice tests and you will be taking the real thing--the variable here is not as much the test as it is your mental state. own your mental state.

*plays rocky music*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 pm

goosey wrote:if youve hit over 170, realize that you have the skill. the lsat is a skill-based test. once youve got it, youre not going to lose it that fast. I scored below my average two times in a row, and this time around I just told myself that I have the ability to kill every single section as long as I dont let the test own me. You know the material. If you could do it at home, you can do it in the testing center. the only difference is your mindset. the lsat is standardized--the test itself will be just as hard as the other tests youve taken. you took those practice tests and you will be taking the real thing--the variable here is not as much the test as it is your mental state. own your mental state.

*plays rocky music*
sounds like youve got a much better attitude. go get it.
--ImageRemoved--

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:38 pm

DCD wrote:
goosey wrote:if youve hit over 170, realize that you have the skill. the lsat is a skill-based test. once youve got it, youre not going to lose it that fast. I scored below my average two times in a row, and this time around I just told myself that I have the ability to kill every single section as long as I dont let the test own me. You know the material. If you could do it at home, you can do it in the testing center. the only difference is your mindset. the lsat is standardized--the test itself will be just as hard as the other tests youve taken. you took those practice tests and you will be taking the real thing--the variable here is not as much the test as it is your mental state. own your mental state.

*plays rocky music*
sounds like youve got a much better attitude. go get it.
--ImageRemoved--

when I walk out of the testing center I will scream ADDDDRRRIIAAANNNNNNN
at that point, a 180 will be a lock.

DannyBoy_07

New

Post by DannyBoy_07 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I can totally understand the anxiety part. I was averaging 158-163 before the Dec 09 LSAT.

I sat down thinking I was in total control, and my first section was an experimental RC (RC being my worst section) and was completely thrown off for the rest of the test.

I was having an anxiety attack the whole time and flying through questions just to finish. I was a nervous little bitch.

Well, now that I have to retake my scores are averaging 165-173. Maybe my anxiety in Dec was a blessing in disguise? Meh, I am not going to freak out.

As goosey said, I know the material inside and out, I can kill every section, I just can't let myself get out of my element.

btw, RC experimental sucks fat donkey balls.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 pm

DannyBoy_07 wrote:I can totally understand the anxiety part. I was averaging 158-163 before the Dec 09 LSAT.

I sat down thinking I was in total control, and my first section was an experimental RC (RC being my worst section) and was completely thrown off for the rest of the test.

I was having an anxiety attack the whole time and flying through questions just to finish. I was a nervous little bitch.

Well, now that I have to retake my scores are averaging 165-173. Maybe my anxiety in Dec was a blessing in disguise? Meh, I am not going to freak out.

As goosey said, I know the material inside and out, I can kill every section, I just can't let myself get out of my element.

i had rc experimental both times. I may be a masochist, but Im really hoping for an experimental rc again, just to keep some consistence. I had 2 rc in a row in sept. it can be good if your experimental is first (as mine was)--makes u sharp for the real thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DannyBoy_07

New

Post by DannyBoy_07 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:14 pm

goosey wrote:
DannyBoy_07 wrote:I can totally understand the anxiety part. I was averaging 158-163 before the Dec 09 LSAT.

i had rc experimental both times. I may be a masochist, but Im really hoping for an experimental rc again, just to keep some consistence. I had 2 rc in a row in sept. it can be good if your experimental is first (as mine was)--makes u sharp for the real thing.

ya know, at this point, I don't even give a shit. I just want to take the test this saturday. It is all going to be about being calm for me.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 pm

good call.

being calm is the best thing we can possibly do.
ps- i have been getting headaches, which I assume is because I havent been wearing my glasses when studying. I went to find my glasses today and I realized I lost them. Cant find them anywhere. Now I need to get a new pair made tomorrow just to make sure I dont have a migraine on test day. lifes little surprises are so fun

DarkPhantom

Bronze

Post by DarkPhantom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 pm

OP - I think I'm in the same boat, but sinking much faster.

Was scoring 158/159 on PTs and then today and yesterday totally fell apart scoring barely 150 in two past PTs.

I don't know what's going on, but I can't seem to focus.

Also, any suggestions for an Experimental LR?

Last time I took it, I bombed it because I had RC,LR,ExpLR,LR and then finally games. I did well on the RC and games, but bombed the LR...

ShiftyOne

New

Post by ShiftyOne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 pm

If you went from oldest to newest, the older PT's are much easier. The 20's to 40's I averaged a 176. When I got to newer ones I dropped below a 170 and had to work back up into the 170's. The reading difficulty of the passages and questions in RC and LR become more difficult, while the curves become slightly less forgiving.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

ShiftyOne wrote:If you went from oldest to newest, the older PT's are much easier. The 20's to 40's I averaged a 176. When I got to newer ones I dropped below a 170 and had to work back up into the 170's. The reading difficulty of the passages and questions in RC and LR become more difficult, while the curves become slightly less forgiving.
I do realize that the newer tests are harder. But on PT 50 & 53 I did get a 170 and I did not think the later 50's were drastically different from PT 50 & 53 in terms of their LR (maybe RC was slightly harder).

However, on the first LR of PT 56 it felt like I could barely focus and got (-6), same with the games (-11). This is very brutal, particularly in games. Then, I really tried to focus and finally I pulled it together a bit for the second LR section and went (-1). In the end I got a 161 (brutal), but going -1 seems to indicate I can do it, but I just need to get passed this damn mental roadblock and stop glazing over as I am going through the test.

It really is bothersome as it feels like I am underperforming.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:16 am

You're just fatigued, anxious, and unfocused. That last score obviously isn't representative of your ability, so stop fretting about it. Time to let your brain rest a little before the real thing. Don't take any more PTs, and consider not doing any more timed work. You have timing down by now. Go for good walks on Thursday and Friday, redo a few LG, and review some mistakes in LR. Just do light work, and mix in physical activity. You're not going to get anything positive from flogging and fatiguing yourself all the way to Saturday.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 am

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm

On of the most important things I think you can do with the next two days is practice re-centering yourself. There will be a rough section, a game you don't quite finish, something will go a little wrong, it's the LSAT. And you need to have a way to get yourself back in the game, and not spiral into panic. Eyes closed for 3 seconds, a predetermined pep talk, etc. I think freaking out is how things can go wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”