LSAT and English as a second language Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
frenchlaw

New

LSAT and English as a second language

Post by frenchlaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I was wondering whether or not the admission committees take into consideration the fact that English is not your first language, when looking at your LSAT score... I mean, are they more understanding given the obvious disadvantage??
I believe I can speak English fairly well, but as I study for the LSAT, I see that there are sometimes phrases or expressions I am not familiar with, especially in RC & LR, and that necessarily affects my timing and/or my ability to understand the passage and get the right answer...

Any idea?

Ragged

Silver

Re: LSAT and English as a second language

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 pm

dont think so... being foreign is a soft nothing more

cao0008

New

Post by cao0008 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't know, but I'm praying it does. lol

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:22 pm

i would not imagine they would give you much leeway

i mean, it's not like your deficiencies/lack of total familiarity in/with english will disappear after you come to law school and later go on to become a lawyer

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 pm

English is my second (third) language too. Sadly,I don't think you get any kind of boost for it. Though languages are a good soft, so make sure to mention it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

floppymex

Bronze

Post by floppymex » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:34 pm

It's not necessarily that you would have any deficiency with English. English is also my second language, and a language that was not primarily spoken in my household. It wasn't common, but every other PT or so, I would encounter a question with an idiom or phrase that "threw me off." A couple of times this led me to seeing either no correct answer or to seeing multiple correct answers, but for the most part I just had to re-read the question. Considering how important every point is on the LSAT, I would be surprised if AdComs completely ignored that an applicant's first language wasn't English.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i would not imagine they would give you much leeway

i mean, it's not like your deficiencies/lack of total familiarity in/with english will disappear after you come to law school and later go on to become a lawyer
+1

They do not have much pity for ESL students doing poorly on the LSAT. It's a little unfair, but you can see where they're coming from.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:06 pm

floppymex wrote:It's not necessarily that you would have any deficiency with English. English is also my second language, and a language that was not primarily spoken in my household. It wasn't common, but every other PT or so, I would encounter a question with an idiom or phrase that "threw me off." A couple of times this led me to seeing either no correct answer or to seeing multiple correct answers, but for the most part I just had to re-read the question. Considering how important every point is on the LSAT, I would be surprised if AdComs completely ignored that an applicant's first language wasn't English.
lol i still dont see why adcomms would give much leeway to a non-native speaker who scores a tad lower on the LSAT...

1) how would they know they scored lower due to a language reason?
2) why bother? this isnt a problem that will be changing any time soon, and their jobs arent actually to try to make everyone's lives fair and happy lol

now being able to fluently speak another language, that'd be a soft (tho not some amazing TFA or URM soft)

geostuck

New

Post by geostuck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 pm

I am surprised at the answers...

In Ane Ivey's book, she claimed it to be one of very few acceptable LSAT addendums that they considered. Beyond that, I could not imagine taking the LSAT in another language. I’m fluent in Spanish and Tagalog, and with the time constraints, no way could I do well in those languages. Granted, I sucked at it in English, so I should delete that part…

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:07 am

geostuck wrote:I am surprised at the answers...

In Ane Ivey's book, she claimed it to be one of very few acceptable LSAT addendums that they considered. Beyond that, I could not imagine taking the LSAT in another language. I’m fluent in Spanish and Tagalog, and with the time constraints, no way could I do well in those languages. Granted, I sucked at it in English, so I should delete that part…
wait, are you including international applicants? cuz that's a diff story/pool.

frenchlaw

New

Post by frenchlaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:19 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

What do you mean by "that's a different story"... Me for example, I moved in the US about 4 years ago and completed all my education in France... I am now a US resident, so I guess I would not be considered an international student... but do you think that would make any difference?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

Last edited by kazu on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geostuck

New

Post by geostuck » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 am

Nope, I'm not talking about international, straight up ESL.

She has a section on writing addendums for LSAT, GPA, shit like that. So, for some unknown reason, I read the section about LSAT scores not representing potential....

Anyhow, like I said, she claims (former addcom) that two reasons they consider an addendum valid is ESL students and history of sucking at standardized testing (with proof)

I'd suggest getting the book ($10). I liked it so much, I bought two. Great info on PS statements, and the app as a whole..

EDT: http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles I think there is a page on this site about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:37 am

geostuck wrote:Nope, I'm not talking about international, straight up ESL.

She has a section on writing addendums for LSAT, GPA, shit like that. So, for some unknown reason, I read the section about LSAT scores not representing potential....

Anyhow, like I said, she claims (former addcom) that two reasons they consider an addendum valid is ESL students and history of sucking at standardized testing (with proof)

I'd suggest getting the book ($10). I liked it so much, I bought two. Great info on PS statements, and the app as a whole..

EDT: http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles I think there is a page on this site about it.
ive read it lol, in fact i have it prob 10 ft away. it was awhile ago that i read it, but my impression was for ppl slightly diff from the OP's position who just doesnt know idioms and whatnot. i thot of it as international students or maybe newcomers. OP doesnt sound like a current ESLer, but i guess i could be wrong.

Hitler

New

Post by Hitler » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:51 am

neimanmarxist wrote:English is my second (third) language too. Sadly,I don't think you get any kind of boost for it. Though languages are a good soft, so make sure to mention it!
English is my second language as well. You will not be given any leeway for the LSAT score in a direct kind of way. BUt it will be a very small plus for admissions as a soft.

vtoodler

Bronze

Post by vtoodler » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:27 pm

What is your native language? From your username, I am guessing French?

TheLuckyOne

Bronze

Post by TheLuckyOne » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 pm

vtoodler wrote:What is your native language? From your username, I am guessing French?
LOL, good point.

OP, not to be rude, but it's laughable to complain about language constains since roughtly ~25% of English vocabulary comes directly from French, another good portion from Latin. French also has a fair share of vocabulary from Latin, and I'm sure these groups overlap. Moreover, a lot of English terminology is of French or Latin origin, and these are, for the most part, the words that are the "toughest" on the LSAT.

I'm sorry, but if I were an adcomm, I would laugh if you were trying to justify it.

FWIW, I speak English fairly well and I know some French, so I sort of know what I'm talking about.

BTW, why would they be treated differently when it comes to intl vs ESL students who live and have studied in the US? I'm genuinely curious.

Disclaimer: don't jump on me because you know some Spanish speakers who have language issues or whatever. IMO, if you want to study in an American law school and want to practice law in English, you better not have those issues BEFORE you go for it. Learn the damn language and then compete for a spot in a top school!

Just my $0.02.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vivecan005

New

Post by vivecan005 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:44 pm

frenchlaw wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

What do you mean by "that's a different story"... Me for example, I moved in the US about 4 years ago and completed all my education in France... I am now a US resident, so I guess I would not be considered an international student... but do you think that would make any difference?
What the fuck!!! Nobody destroyed economy for personal gains. These were the very same people who were considered bright and brightest. Joseph Cassano would have been prized if everything would have gone in same direction. When everything went wrong the Mr. cassano was blaimed to create the complexed securitized products; ABS, MBS, Collateralized debt obligations, credit default swaps etc. Andrew Hall definitely deserve to get paycheck 100 million dollar. It is not easy to bring billions of cash in a company. Why to blaim I-banking or Wall Street or LLoyd Blankfien/John Mack/J.Dimon/V.Pandit...so on?

What the fuck Govt was doing in last 10 years to think about wellness of economy or Job creation or anything instead of blaiming that China building Laptops and Mexico building car engine

[Mod note: You were a little too slow in editing your comment.]
Last edited by vivecan005 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm

The LSAT isn't like most other standardized tests. Its designed to predict future success not to asses how much you know. If you have trouble with English, that isn't going to get easier to overcome when you start reading assloads of legalease that is confusing for native English readers/speakers.

In a perfect world that might not be the case, however, the world is far from fair or perfect.

vtoodler

Bronze

Post by vtoodler » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Frenchlaw, you should try reading lots of English books.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”