Suggestions before I start an LSAT Course Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rwe23

New

Suggestions before I start an LSAT Course

Post by rwe23 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:05 pm

So I am scheduled to start the Testmasters LSAT class in April for the June LSAT, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do before the class starts. Should I take practice tests without having taken the class yet? Or does anybody have any good book suggestions that are better when you are first starting out that can teach you the easier tricks, basic ins and outs, and important information. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Re: Suggestions before I start an LSAT Course

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Pick up an informal logic book and start reading prose outside of your comfort zone.

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 pm

I'd be careful about giving yourself so little time in between the class and the lsat. To get the most out of the class, you have to do the homework. Yet the last month of the class it's hard to keep up with both practice tests, homework, class, and working/going to school full time.

I'm in that position now and am changing my test date from Feb to June because the class just crams way more material than I can currently handle and my score has actually taken a big dip as a result. I know not everyone ends up responding in that way, but I've talked to several other people in my class who are in similar positions.

I bought the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible and got through most of both before the class. I think both those books would've served me better AFTER the class though.

Cognoscenti

New

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 pm

christinalsat wrote:I'd be careful about giving yourself so little time in between the class and the lsat. To get the most out of the class, you have to do the homework. Yet the last month of the class it's hard to keep up with both practice tests, homework, class, and working/going to school full time.

I'm in that position now and am changing my test date from Feb to June because the class just crams way more material than I can currently handle and my score has actually taken a big dip as a result. I know not everyone ends up responding in that way, but I've talked to several other people in my class who are in similar positions.

I bought the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible and got through most of both before the class. I think both those books would've served me better AFTER the class though.
I agree about taking so little time between the start of class and the LSAT. I'm currently in the Feb TestMasters class (4-5 weeks of class) and working full-time. It's not so bad for me since I've done a SIGNIFICANT amount of prep, including having taken the LSAT before. But for the people in my class who are looking at this material for the first time, they are finding it extremely difficult to make sense of it and practice the techniques comfortably in 4-5 weeks.

vsg211

New

Post by vsg211 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 pm

To help with Reading Comp but without actually exhausting the passages before you're ready, I'd start reading an extra 20 minutes each day. I've heard things like The Economist might be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwe23

New

Post by rwe23 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Pick up an informal logic book and start reading prose outside of your comfort zone.
Any suggestions on a book?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm

deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”