Which is the best LSAT Prep course to take? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kig5

New

Which is the best LSAT Prep course to take?

Post by kig5 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi,
I recently graduated from Georgetown with a 3.71 gpa. I am planning on taking the June 2010 LSAT (or Sept. if I need more time) and hoping to score above a 165. However, I'm a horrible test taker. So, I am going to enroll in a prep course. I hope you guys could share your experiences about a particular prep course you took (whether you recommend it or advise me to stay away from it!). I am considering enrolling in a class offered by Testmasters around the DC area. I have also heard people talk about Powerscore Bibles and other products but I'm afraid I don't know much about them, anything anyone may know about them would be very helpful, if you could enlighten me. Would you recommend doing both the Testmasters and the self-study Powerscore products? Or, is it best to focus on one and avoid confusion in terms of specific strategies each one provides? And finally, what are my chances of getting into a top law school with said gpa and target LSAT score? Thank you for taking the time to answer some or all of my questions, I really appreciate it!

Eruannon

Bronze

Re: Which is the best LSAT Prep course to take?

Post by Eruannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 pm

I think everyone is different, but I personally did all independent study. I raised my score on my first PT by over 15 points. This said, some may prefer the structure of a class. I used the big princeton review book for some of my study but my study was primarily made up of real LSAT practice tests.

It's important to remember that even if you take a class, this does not in anyway exempt you from rigorous independent study.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Here's my review of Kaplan:

Kaplan
Category: Tutoring Centers
Neighborhood: Pasadena
12/31/2009
Once again, I find myself saying: "If only I had yelped it first."

Spent nearly $1200 on their LSAT course. Total regret. They have a money back guarantee, but be sure to read the fine print. I scored only TWO POINTS more than my diagnostic exam.

So, yeah, I improved my LSAT score after taking their course, but at $600 a point, I'd say I'd been ripped off. And most people improve somewhat after taking their first exam, even without any study, so I'm totally disgruntled.

The instructor was decent, although whenever I became concerned that maybe I wasn't learning as much as I should, she got mega-defensive.

To top it off, I was at their Los Angeles location and heard an employee talk about me, in very unflattering terms, on the phone with an employee from the Pasadena location. Obviously, she didn't realize I was the person she was discussing.

Discussing a student in front of other students, especially in negative terms, should be a DEFINITE no-no. And when I sent her a letter saying as much, I didn't get an apology.

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 pm

*I didn't take a course so I don't know if this is completely true*

I went through a Princeton Review book and it seemed to use a method that would make it very very difficult to break through 170... Can anyone else verify this?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

I took Test Masters and I think it is pretty good. If you need the structure of a class I would recommend Test Masters. The Bibles are great, but if you do not have the discipline to do the whole thing on your own (I did not) then maybe a class is best. Using the bibles and Test Masters in concert is not a bad idea. The thinking is pretty similar even though the terms are somewhat different. With regards to Kaplan I have not heard anything good so I would avoid that.

As far as your chances I think you may need to define what you mean by 'top law schools' in order for someone to be able to give you more accurate predictions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:19 pm

OP, Powerscore offers courses as well -- if you're dead set on taking a course, why not give them a try? That way you could avoid any potential confusion of methods when self-studying with the bibles.

Of course, IMHO, self-study is the best (and cheapest!) way to go. Buy the Powerscore bibles and as many preptests as you can. If you find yourself stuck or having problems, you can always look for a private tutor, or ask the fine folks here on TLS for some assistance :D

brewinbruin

New

Post by brewinbruin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:28 pm

after taking the full length TM course, and *glancing* through the PS bibles there seems to be very little difference in strategy. choice comes down to instructor/personal preference?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 pm

brewinbruin wrote:after taking the full length TM course, and *glancing* through the PS bibles there seems to be very little difference in strategy. choice comes down to instructor/personal preference?
+1

drsomebody

New

Post by drsomebody » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 am

If you've got until next June, I STRONGLY suggest trying to self-study first. Buy (or illicitly download) several dozen old lsat tests and take them. After each test, review each missed question and fully understand why you got it wrong. When you start out, also review each correct question until you understand why you got it correct. If, after taking a dozen or so old LSATs, you're not improving your score, then you might consider taking a professional course.

I never spoke to anybody else abut the LSAT and ended up getting well above a 175. It's all about practice and critical self-reflection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 am

Blueprint get's a thumbs up from me. Jumped my score 20 points and couldn't be happier. I just didn't have the discipline to self study and BP: Movie only cost 700 bucks.

lawisizzlin

New

Post by lawisizzlin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 am

I highly recommend the Powerscore prep course. I chose Powerscore because it was the cheapest and the location was convenient for me. My score jumped from 158 diagnostic --> 170 on the real thing (170/171 on PTs). I work full time and knew I wouldn't want to stay up late studying unless I was motivated - dropping $1k on a course did that for me. I went to every class, did about half of the homework and took 10+ practice tests, pretty much devoted my nights and weekends to studying. Great class, highly recommended. Oh and after it was all over I sold my books on Craigslist and made some $ back (people love the Powerscore books), I also proctored some practice exams for them and made a little $ that way.

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 am

If you're in DC you can also check out some of the local companies. I work for one called Griffon Prep

http://www.griffonprep.com

acrossthepond

New

Post by acrossthepond » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:31 am

I took Blueprint the movie and loved it. Have heard only good things about their classroom course as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Eruannon wrote:I went through a Princeton Review book and it seemed to use a method that would make it very very difficult to break through 170... Can anyone else verify this?
I used the TPR method to get a 176, so I can say that this is not true.

MikeTZ

New

Post by MikeTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

spam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”