GMAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
anonymous5042

New

GMAT

Post by anonymous5042 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Can anyone point me to the website that is the equivalent of TLS for the GMAT.

Thank you!

ogman05

Bronze

Re: GMAT

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

beatthegmat.com is the closest you will come. But there is not nearly the network and support as there is here. Also less BS's. Probably because it is an older crowd. check it out. I also took the gmat.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/
edited to add link

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 pm

gmat club

http://gmatclub.com/forum/

my girlfriend is applying to MBA programs while i apply to law programs and she's on this site and its forums constantly. it also uses phpBB like this forum so it's familiar, haha! Anyway, from what she's said to me, this is the go-to site.

anonymous5042

New

Post by anonymous5042 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks.

I'll be asking this question on both of the suggested forums, but I figure I should ask it here as well: what company produces the best self-study guides? I've heard Manhattan GMAT thrown around by several people, so that's where I'm leaning.

My weakest area is definitely going to be the quantitative sections, so whatever guide(s) most effectively prepares students in this area is probably the best one for me.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

anonymous5042 wrote:Thanks.

I'll be asking this question on both of the suggested forums, but I figure I should ask it here as well: what company produces the best self-study guides? I've heard Manhattan GMAT thrown around by several people, so that's where I'm leaning.

My weakest area is definitely going to be the quantitative sections, so whatever guide(s) most effectively prepares students in this area is probably the best one for me.
My GF and a few of her friends used Manhattan GMAT and were very satisfied with the results.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolercoasterrr

New

Post by lolercoasterrr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:17 pm

at a minimum u will need the MGMAT SC guide and the official guide. also highly suggest using hte powerscore gmat CR guide (or the LSAT LR guide).

i used all 8 MGMAT study guides. some of the quant stuff was REALLY easy so i used the gmatclub tests.

bb_gmatclub

New

Post by bb_gmatclub » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I saw GMAT Club was mentioned, so appreciate the kind words, and wanted to chime in.

There are several approaches you can take and several "study plans" so to speak.
The most comprehensive is a 8 MGMAT guides combined with the Official Guide 12th edition. It is very methodical but takes quite a bit of time.

The other approach is taking the best of the MGMAT and other books. MGMAT's star books are:
Math
  • MGMAT Number properties - very strong book covering arithmetic that most don't remember or don't think about. 50%+ of gmat quant questions are covering Arithmetic.
  • MGMAT Word Translations - probability, combinations, and statistics
Verbal
  • MGMAT CR. Powerscore also has as good/better book on CR.
  • MGMAT SC. Powerscore also has a good book on SC
  • MGMAT RC. Powerscore has no RC book
I often recommend that people get their intro to GMAT from a general guidebook such as Kaplan Premier. I personally studied with a combination of Kaplan Premier, Kaplan Math Workbook, and Verbal workbook, but they are not as thorough as MGMAT's materials.

Anyway, if you Google for "Best GMAT Books" - you should find my detailed overview of most worthwhile GMAT books on the market (should be a link to gmatclub in the top 5 results).

Any questions - let me know either in this thread or on gmatclub. Funny that we both use the same forum software - very easy to switch back and forth.

Best Regards,
BB, Founder of GMAT Club.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”