How Many Practice Tests Should I Do. Advice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Madman

New

How Many Practice Tests Should I Do. Advice?

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Okay, so I have been studying since July (have done a lot of individual sections, read the bibles etc.) for about 15-20 hours per week (I work full time and run a small business). I have begun taking PT's and have done 7 thus far and am averaging around 164 (my highest a 166). I am hoping for a 165-170 in Feb.

My question is how many tests should I be doing per week. Currently my plan is to do 3 tests per week and review that test on the nights that I am not testing (taking Fridays off). Then two weeks before the exam I will be taking holidays and will have all day to study. If I do only 3 per week I can get 14 tests done on top of the seven I have done already, or should I also be doing 1 test per day during my 2 weeks off before the test in addition to the 3 per week now?

Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

lawgirl99

Bronze

Re: How Many Practice Tests Should I Do. Advice?

Post by lawgirl99 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Do as many as you can without running into burnout. PTs were my greatest means of score improvement.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Madman wrote:Okay, so I have been studying since July (have done a lot of individual sections, read the bibles etc.) for about 15-20 hours per week (I work full time and run a small business). I have begun taking PT's and have done 7 thus far and am averaging around 164 (my highest a 166). I am hoping for a 165-170 in Feb.

My question is how many tests should I be doing per week. Currently my plan is to do 3 tests per week and review that test on the nights that I am not testing (taking Fridays off). Then two weeks before the exam I will be taking holidays and will have all day to study. If I do only 3 per week I can get 14 tests done on top of the seven I have done already, or should I also be doing 1 test per day during my 2 weeks off before the test in addition to the 3 per week now?

Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
If you have two weeks off with nothing to do before the test, I would take one a day.

imnion

New

Post by imnion » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Keep in mind reviewing PTs are more important than actually taking them.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 pm

imnion wrote:Keep in mind reviewing PTs are more important than actually taking them.
lawgirl99 wrote:Do as many as you can without running into burnout. PTs were my greatest means of score improvement.
I agree with both of these. Learning rules and strategies is important and has its place, but the best thing you can do is to do as many tests you can get your hands on and to meticulously go through your wrong answers and guesses. IMHO

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:
imnion wrote:Keep in mind reviewing PTs are more important than actually taking them.
lawgirl99 wrote:Do as many as you can without running into burnout. PTs were my greatest means of score improvement.
I agree with both of these. Learning rules and strategies is important and has its place, but the best thing you can do is to do as many tests you can get your hands on and to meticulously go through your wrong answers and guesses. IMHO
Doubly true if timing is an issue.

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
Timing is definitely still an issue for me, so I would be a person who needs to do a lot of PT's, but I don't want to burn out.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Madman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
Timing is definitely still an issue for me, so I would be a person who needs to do a lot of PT's, but I don't want to burn out.
I took about 6 tests a week for 4 weeks and I worked full time, and I didn't burn out. So not everyone does burn out.

If you start feeling burned out (or see a sudden drop), stop for two days and do no LSAT. And I'd do nothing the day before the LSAT no matter what.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Do as many as you possibly can without losing too much sleep or stressing out. I did approx 1 a day in september and 2 a day the week of the lsat. Went through every test, my score only kept going up (underachieved a bit on test day but ces't la vie)

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Oli wrote:Do as many as you possibly can without losing too much sleep or stressing out. I did approx 1 a day in september and 2 a day the week of the lsat. Went through every test, my score only kept going up (underachieved a bit on test day but ces't la vie)

How can you possibly do that many PTs while going to school? How would you have time to review PTs? I like to spend 6 hours reviewing each PT.

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Were you all doing 5 section tests?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Madman wrote:Were you all doing 5 section tests?
Not asked of me, but when I did PTs I did 4 sections in a row. No breaks. I figured its about the same as doing 3, then break then two more.

I had no problems on test day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:33 pm

ps494 wrote:
Oli wrote:Do as many as you possibly can without losing too much sleep or stressing out. I did approx 1 a day in september and 2 a day the week of the lsat. Went through every test, my score only kept going up (underachieved a bit on test day but ces't la vie)

How can you possibly do that many PTs while going to school? How would you have time to review PTs? I like to spend 6 hours reviewing each PT.
Good question. I completely ignored school for the month of September. That was a fun term *shudder*.

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Not asked of me, but when I did PTs I did 4 sections in a row. No breaks. I figured its about the same as doing 3, then break then two more.

This is a good idea, as I find it hard to squeeze in the time for a whole other section when I am doing the tests in the evening after work.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

+1
I think I only did one 5 section test

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Oli wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1
And when you are the one picking the 5th section, you know which one doesn't count, so it isn't very realistic anyway.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Oli wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1
And when you are the one picking the 5th section, you know which one doesn't count, so it isn't very realistic anyway.
Haha yeah. My scores would have been unrealistic at best.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”