Retake in Feb for the hell of it? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Kulax22

Bronze

Retake in Feb for the hell of it?

Post by Kulax22 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 am

I am considering taking it in Feb, this would be my third time. My Dec score was good (173) but I think I might be able to top it, or at least repeat it.

I'm sure a lot of TLSers are perfectionists; I certainly can be. I feel like this test got the best of me, mainly due to nerves (had issues sleeping both nights before, which is really rare for me otherwise).

I am curious if retaking a third time A) looks bad no matter what B) looks bad unless I get a significantly higher score C) delays admissions, even if my current score is acceptable, because they want to see what happens :?

:?: I'd appreciate the input here. My thinking is: I can take it, and cancel if I don't think it went well. I don't think a cancel would look bad with a good LSAT preceding it. :|

Trifles

Bronze

Re: Retake in Feb for the hell of it?

Post by Trifles » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:22 am

If you arn't confident you can score significantly higher, then do not retake it. Get a new hobby! You did good on the LSAT already, maybe try reading all the 0L gunner books or something. Or knitting.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:25 am

Getting two 173s in my opinion is worse than one 173.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 am

From my understanding, anything you score above 170 is really just luck. Minor mistakes (reading too quickly, misbubbling, test day nerves) can keep you from hitting 175.

Could be risky if you are applying this cycle. If you are deferring to the next cycle, I'd say go for it.

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:25 pm

I'll bet you could find a better way to spend $120 and a Saturday.
Last edited by nattybro on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I am honestly hoping to be talked out of it. I just hate feeling like I can always do more. Even so, I'm very happy and a bit surprised by my score (thought I botched it)

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 am

Kulax22 wrote:I am considering taking it in Feb, this would be my third time. My Dec score was good (173) but I think I might be able to top it, or at least repeat it.

I'm sure a lot of TLSers are perfectionists; I certainly can be. I feel like this test got the best of me, mainly due to nerves (had issues sleeping both nights before, which is really rare for me otherwise).

I am curious if retaking a third time A) looks bad no matter what B) looks bad unless I get a significantly higher score C) delays admissions, even if my current score is acceptable, because they want to see what happens :?

:?: I'd appreciate the input here. My thinking is: I can take it, and cancel if I don't think it went well. I don't think a cancel would look bad with a good LSAT preceding it. :|
i'm in. third time taker. just for shits and giggles.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:38 am

what's your GPA?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 am

You had the most redic. curve ever on that December test.... just rest on your laurels.

(Shakes fist at thought that a -7 would have been a 176 instead of a 173 if Sept had Dec's curve)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:51 am

you're a sick, sad person.

i might if dec had not been my 3rd

UTexas

New

Post by UTexas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

SolarWind wrote:You had the most redic. curve ever on that December test.... just rest on your laurels.

(Shakes fist at thought that a -7 would have been a 176 instead of a 173 if Sept had Dec's curve)
The September test was a joke in comparison to the December test.

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't like feeling I can do more. Then again it is a risky proposition. But I'm thinking most schools will admit me, if they do at all, before Feb's results come out and they see.

:?:

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Save the money and buy yourself a drink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 am

I'm in the same boat. 170/3.81. I'm pretty damn sure I could score higher in Feb., but I've decided not to go in for a third time.

Two reasons: Some schools will hold the app when they see I'm retaking, which will in turn hurt my chances unless I definitely get a 3+ increase in score.

Second -- What if I don't improve or even drop a point? A 169 or lower would hurt my chances at any undecided schools, because the 170 would become the outlier.

I'm happy to be in the top 2%. If I had a 173 I'd be freakin' ecstatic. No way you should go messing with a good thing, unless you've already been admitted to some good schools and are just trying to take a shot at HYS.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 am

Don't do it for the reasons the poster above me stated. They'll hold your app until you get your Feb LSAT back. It's not worth it. You could end up getting lost in the shuffle or admitted against other high-score last-minute applicants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”