What age are most of you??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mugwump

New

Re: What age are most of you???

Post by mugwump » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:03 pm

My oldest son is 31 y.o. Age is a non-issue.

jcc9q3

New

Post by jcc9q3 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm

25 yrs old, started business out of school (bar). Feel ancient.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swflgirl

New

Post by swflgirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:07 pm

I am 36 now but by the time I matriculate providing LSAT and everything goes well, I will be 38.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:53 pm

mugwump wrote:My oldest son is 31 y.o. Age is a non-issue.

Really now? Do you think it will be a non-issue to potential employers? I can imagine some firms being gun shy about hiring someone who will be much more difficult to terminate (i.e. Age Discrimination in Employment Act )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deeirwin

New

Post by deeirwin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm 32.

mugwump

New

Post by mugwump » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 pm

chango wrote:
mugwump wrote:My oldest son is 31 y.o. Age is a non-issue.

Really now? Do you think it will be a non-issue to potential employers? I can imagine some firms being gun shy about hiring someone who will be much more difficult to terminate (i.e. Age Discrimination in Employment Act )
I'm interested in public interest law where age hopefully will not be a defining issue. I do agree and have been advised that firms will be tentative in hiring someone of my age.

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Put me in the over 40 demographic...not worried about hiring practices though since I already have an offer in pocket with the current employer.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dimsdale

New

Post by Dimsdale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 pm

36, will be 37 at matriculation. I would have had my ass handed to me if I tried this fresh out of UG.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

age aint nothin' but a number

DELETED

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm

I met a bunch of old people in LS... Most claimed to be "succesful" but wanted a "change." However, in fairness, upon looking at the credentials of the older students.. Its seemed to me that about 15% were actually "good" at something before LS and did well, while the other 90% were of the loser in, loser out type that seems to predominate the older group of LS applicants. My favorite was this one lady who did something below the level of a nurse before Ls who started in her late 50's ran up a ton of debt to attend a TTT, failed a class or two and was then shocked when no one wanted to hire a 60 year old first year associate.

Saying age is a non-issue is sorta silly. Its as much of an issue as anything else.

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I am almost 35. I think for me personally, this is an asset. I've successfully started one company. and I think schools will favor that. Just my two cents!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 pm

24, will be 25 once the class of 2013 begins

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I met a bunch of old people in LS... Most claimed to be "succesful" but wanted a "change." However, in fairness, upon looking at the credentials of the older students.. Its seemed to me that about 15% were actually "good" at something before LS and did well, while the other 90% were of the loser in, loser out type that seems to predominate the older group of LS applicants. My favorite was this one lady who did something below the level of a nurse before Ls who started in her late 50's ran up a ton of debt to attend a TTT, failed a class or two and was then shocked when no one wanted to hire a 60 year old first year associate.

Saying age is a non-issue is sorta silly. Its as much of an issue as anything else.
I am not in the 90% group you talk about. I am just ready for a change. Also, I have found someone else to run the company while I remain on the board. But, I can see where many older students have had an unsuccessful career and are hoping for a new start.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I met a bunch of old people in LS... Most claimed to be "succesful" but wanted a "change." However, in fairness, upon looking at the credentials of the older students.. Its seemed to me that about 15% were actually "good" at something before LS and did well, while the other 90% were of the loser in, loser out type that seems to predominate the older group of LS applicants. My favorite was this one lady who did something below the level of a nurse before Ls who started in her late 50's ran up a ton of debt to attend a TTT, failed a class or two and was then shocked when no one wanted to hire a 60 year old first year associate.

Age is an issue for whom? The older applicants or the classmates? Older folks who are actually accomplished wouldn't care what you think about their age. Older folkes who were not successes in what they did probably have many other things to feel self-concious about. The younger classmates? why would an older applicant be an issue if you had one in class?

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Age is an issue for whom? The older applicants or the classmates? Older folks who are actually accomplished wouldn't care what you think about their age. Older folkes who were not successes in what they did probably have many other things to feel self-concious about. The younger classmates? why would an older applicant be an issue if you had one in class?
He's talking about the employers not the classmates..

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 pm

narkizopoint wrote: He's talking about the employers not the classmates..
ahh sorry, missed a page or two. Well then age is only an issue if your resume writer does a bad job.

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:43 pm

26 by august of 2010.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:52 pm

26, 27 when I start Law School.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:42 pm

What percent of the younger students were loser in, loser out types? I'm guessing 92%.

(and is the fact that your percentages don't add up to 100% supposed to be some sort of ironic joke that I'm not getting? And are to surmise that you went to the same TTT as the lady in her 50s, because, how else would have you met her, unless perhaps she was your Barrister's Ball date?)

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 am

You've got a fair point here. I went back to school to get a second BA after working in nursing for a long time. I don't know if I would consider myself a loser but I've been really unhappy with my choice of a career. So I saved money, quit the army, took advantage of my GI Bill and decided to go back to school. I certainly wasn't successful by my standards but I think I was probably by other peoples standards. I was moving up in rank and working in management but the prospect of continuing on that track for the rest of my career was miserable.
Your example of the TTT student who fails classes is certainly not going to describe me. 12 years of doing work that I don't love has made me determined to do well. I will also be graduating with little debt and a home and significant retirement savings already so I won't have as much incentive to fight for the highest paying job I can find. I'll be able to pick a law job that I will enjoy rather than one I need. Hopefully, I will feel a bit more successful in that career.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 am

chango wrote:

What percent of the younger students were loser in, loser out types? I'm guessing 92%.

(and is the fact that your percentages don't add up to 100% supposed to be some sort of ironic joke that I'm not getting? And are to surmise that you went to the same TTT as the lady in her 50s, because, how else would have you met her, unless perhaps she was your Barrister's Ball date?)
Sillygoose: If you're going to take a shot at me for the percentages not adding up (which I noticed right away, but decided not to correct, because lets face it: a) they aren't real percentages; b) it doesn't really matter), you should make sure that your post reads correctly, i.e. "And are to surmise that you went to the same," but hey, nothing wrong with the pot calling the kettle black right?

As for the lady in her 50's, she absolutely attended the same TTT as I did. The difference is, I went on to work at a nice comfortable mid-sized law firm in Manhattan and she went on to basically the same thing she started with; nothing.

-- EDIT --

I love it when someone with 80 to 150 posts stubmles onto a brilliant find; THAT I WENT TO A TTT.. Cracks me up every time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”