What age are most of you??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pleasetryagain

Silver

Re: What age are most of you???

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
however, I think you're selling most 22 year olds short--I know very few students without undergraduate debt and who haven't worked through college.

In addition, the legal world is living proof that a shitton of 22 year olds can go right from UG to law school and do perfectly well.
funny.. most 22 years olds I know:
--ImageRemoved--

ewc227

New

Post by ewc227 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?
please do not make such a broad generalization.

a) i'll be 20 when i start law school
b) i supported myself all through college, at times with multiple jobs, managed to graduate early
c) finished within the top 10% of my class and feel more than "emotionally/ mentally" ready, not to mention understand/ know too well of the seriousness of "debt load" fyi. i went to NYU, one of the most expensive UG institute in america

i realize u said "most" 21-22 yo and not all, but still i find it offensive because think of the selected group of 21-22 yo that are applying to law school in the first place.

some people mature later in life, some earlier... as someone before mentioned its more about wisdom not years

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
however, I think you're selling most 22 year olds short--I know very few students without undergraduate debt and who haven't worked through college.

In addition, the legal world is living proof that a shitton of 22 year olds can go right from UG to law school and do perfectly well.
funny.. most 22 years olds I know:
--ImageRemoved--
What? Have a life? I think you are being far too judgmental.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?
Age is a moot point. Just because you are 30 does not mean you are more mature. Many 21 and 22 year olds support themselves and their families. Furthermore many 30 year olds don't understand the seriousness of debt, which is clear and evident in the housing market. I think you should chill. Wait till you get to law school those who will suceed will suceed and those who will fail will fail regardless of age. I'm glad I will be going to law school at a younger age, why wait. Especially when the economy is bad, the best way to better yourself is to seek education. While I will concur that there are plenty of 20 somethings who are not prepared for law school, it is not your place to talk down to this age group. You are not their parent, they will make their own mistakes. Furthermore I would say there have been plenty of 30 somethings who have applied to law school the past years because of a recessionary economy who would not have done so in the past. Just because they are a bit older does not mean they will do better academically. Don't take what I said to be offensive I just think when one ASSUMEs they make an Ass of U and Me. Generalizations should be regarded with caution, and you should further use caution when you issue them.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm 47 ( law school graduation will be my 50th b'day present!!) and started medical school at 21. 80%+ were people in their 20s in my med school class and a decent number in their 30s, and 2 were 40+. What I found is that a variety of ages and experience truly enriched the classroom and outside contacts with fellow students (great to get a homecooked meal when you're a single guy!). I have also found, over the years, that wisdom does not always come with age, and a surprising number of people are wise at a very young age....Create your dream and live it!

I've been watching this show "Men of a Certain Age" and it is hilarious (to someone my age!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:42 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:I'm 47 ( law school graduation will be my 50th b'day present!!) and started medical school at 21. 80%+ were people in their 20s in my med school class and a decent number in their 30s, and 2 were 40+. What I found is that a variety of ages and experience truly enriched the classroom and outside contacts with fellow students (great to get a homecooked meal when you're a single guy!). I have also found, over the years, that wisdom does not always come with age, and a surprising number of people are wise at a very young age....Create your dream and live it!

I've been watching this show "Men of a Certain Age" and it is hilarious (to someone my age!)
why law school after practicing medicine for so long?

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

why law school after practicing medicine for so long?[/quote]

Because enough legally related topics within medicine piqued my interest (intellectual property and elderly care law)
I decided to do it. Medicine has been satisfying but I want to pursue these interests full time. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, I'll have learned something in the process.

Dancing Nancy

New

Post by Dancing Nancy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm 34. I took the June 2009 LSAT but did not score as high as my practice exams, and didn't do anything with the score. But since I got the score, it has bothered me that I never took the exam again.

I start studying for the June 2010 exam next week.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Dancing Nancy wrote:I'm 34. I took the June 2009 LSAT but did not score as high as my practice exams, and didn't do anything with the score. But since I got the score, it has bothered me that I never took the exam again.

I start studying for the June 2010 exam next week.
nice where are you taking it? I can personally recommend GULC as a good test taking center!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:21 pm

ewc227 wrote:
it might have been posted before but am I the only one who thinks 21-22 is way too young for law school for most people? Especially those that have never really worked/supported themselves/always relied on mom and dad (I know this isnt everyone). Can you even understand the seriousness of the debt load at that age? Do they have the emotional/mental savvy to succeed, socially and academically in a "real" graduate program?

b) i supported myself all through college, at times with multiple jobs, managed to graduate early
c) finished within the top 10% of my class and feel more than "emotionally/ mentally" ready, not to mention understand/ know too well of the seriousness of "debt load" fyi. i went to NYU, one of the most expensive UG institute in america

i realize u said "most" 21-22 yo and not all, but still i find it offensive because think of the selected group of 21-22 yo that are applying to law school in the first place.

some people mature later in life, some earlier... as someone before mentioned its more about wisdom not years
i dont think it is maturity or even knowing "what the debt is like". instead, law school will lock you into a career for over 10 years (3 years law school + paying off debt) that you signed up for without knowing much about any career. if you sign up for a job in another field for a few years (or even paralegal) you will make a much more informed career choice. how can someone that has never worked know they want to work 60-70 hours a week, for sure?

ewc227

New

Post by ewc227 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:30 pm

englawyer wrote:
ewc227 wrote:

i dont think it is maturity or even knowing "what the debt is like". instead, law school will lock you into a career for over 10 years (3 years law school + paying off debt) that you signed up for without knowing much about any career. if you sign up for a job in another field for a few years (or even paralegal) you will make a much more informed career choice. how can someone that has never worked know they want to work 60-70 hours a week, for sure?
sure, not every 20 year old knows what to expect from a legal career-- but the same applies to 30 year olds, 40 year olds, etc. what i was tryin to say is that its unfair to single out a particular age group and deem them "unprepared" or w/e term you want to use for law school. i dont think you necessarily need to have years of job experience post graduation to know what kind of career you want. hopefully if you are committed to law school, you've done your homework eg. you have some insight to what a legal career is like.

personally i have been working with the attorney general for the past 2 years, and although i "have never worked" in the sense of a full time job, i have job experience in the legal field. i dont think i need an additional 3 years as a paralegal to figure out what i already know.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 pm

englawyer wrote:
ewc227 wrote:

I think the 22 year olds that people are referring to and the 22 year olds that have worked to get into top law programs are in general not the same group. Sure, there are a sizable minority in this age group (probably exaggerated due to stereotypes) that haven't worked, still get an allowance from mom and dad each week and haven't had to finance their education. However, I'm also positive there are a sizable amount of people in their late 20's and early 30's that are the same way. Sure, they have had a job, but that doesn't necessarily make them better prepared, either. I've personally (and, a lot of the successful law applicants that I know have done the same) worked a standard 40 hour work week to support myself and I've worked 30 hours through undergrad plus school time with a totally broken and unpredictable schedule, and the time in school with part time work was infinitely harder.

Sure, I'm coming at this with anecdotal evidence, but so is everyone else. So, I feel that it's OK in this context.

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 am

I am 20, will be 21 when I go to law school. I think that the generalization about youngsters like me being too young isn't fair. I kind of both do and do not fit this generalization. Though I have not financed my own education, (my parents and grandparents have all been crazy-generous) I did get my first full time job at 15, have worked ever since. I have my own savings, my own stock portfolio, and am saving ahead to defray living costs. There is much to be said for paying your own way through college, but nobody can say of me that I have not worked hard, and am not more than capable of handling my own finances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 am

Although looking at the amount of people going to school at lower ranked schools and their job prospects, I'd say a lot of people don't know what they are getting into. People who are 30 can look back and say, yeah, I probably wasn't ready to go to law school at 22. If you're 22 you can't look ahead and say, yeah, I was ready to go at 22. Also the pools of people are different. Most people who are going to law school are doing so because they either don't have a job or don't enjoy their job. At 22 you haven't really had a real job yet with your UG degree (if you even could find a job). At 30 most people are going because either they've lost their job and are trying to hide from the economy for awhile or they don't enjoy their job, or something else of those lines. You don't find many 30 year olds in law school who quit a job that they loved and were making some $$$ at.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:43 pm

lostjake wrote:Although looking at the amount of people going to school at lower ranked schools and their job prospects, I'd say a lot of people don't know what they are getting into. People who are 30 can look back and say, yeah, I probably wasn't ready to go to law school at 22. If you're 22 you can't look ahead and say, yeah, I was ready to go at 22. Also the pools of people are different. Most people who are going to law school are doing so because they either don't have a job or don't enjoy their job. At 22 you haven't really had a real job yet with your UG degree (if you even could find a job). At 30 most people are going because either they've lost their job and are trying to hide from the economy for awhile or they don't enjoy their job, or something else of those lines. You don't find many 30 year olds in law school who quit a job that they loved and were making some $$$ at.
Interesting perspective; I enjoy my profession and may never make the same amt. of $$$ in law. But, at my age, you realize that you are not immortal, so I started to be picky about how I spend my time. Travel and beachcombing are fun, but brain stimulation gives me the the biggest rush (almost! as does being with motivated, intelligent people. Of course, this is easy to say when you have planned for and met your basic needs.

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:54 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:32.

On a semi-related note, the one-size-fits-all nature of LSDAS and law school admissions sucks royally. That the grades that I got 15 years ago (when most of you were in elementary school) count toward my GPA number, but ones that I got during the last two years in a top 20 MBA program don't, is ridiculous. That any school that recognizes this obvious discrepancy and admits me does so at the peril of its GPA percentile numbers (and therefore its precious ranking) is perverse.

What?? In 15 years, I'd "probably" score 180 and have a 4.0. There has to be a measure to actually compare us.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 am

Muddy wrote: What?? In 15 years, I'd "probably" score 180 and have a 4.0.
doubt it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HopefulLawStud

New

Post by HopefulLawStud » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 am

17, about to graduate high school. =]

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 am

HopefulLawStud wrote:17, about to graduate high school. =]
you will likely not want to go to law school by the time you graduate.

if you do, pick easy courses. GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever major you are interested in if you want a good law school

HopefulLawStud

New

Post by HopefulLawStud » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
HopefulLawStud wrote:17, about to graduate high school. =]
you will likely not want to go to law school by the time you graduate.

if you do, pick easy courses. GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever major you are interested in if you want a good law school
Haha, I know everything I need to do in order to increase my chances to get into LS. Keep doubting me though. I already "work" in a law firm and I love everything I see and hear. My family is well connected with many lawyers and informative people. But, keep doubting me. If I didn't want to go to LS really bad, then why would I waste my time browsing this web site? It is what I want to do. I've thought about it, researched it, and willing to work my ass off to do it. Why else would I only go for a business degree? We all know how that job market is...

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:25 am

HopefulLawStud wrote:
Haha, I know everything I need to do in order to increase my chances to get into LS. Keep doubting me though. I already "work" in a law firm and I love everything I see and hear. My family is well connected with many lawyers and informative people. But, keep doubting me. If I didn't want to go to LS really bad, then why would I waste my time browsing this web site? It is what I want to do. I've thought about it, researched it, and willing to work my ass off to do it. Why else would I only go for a business degree? We all know how that job market is...
You sound like a gunner already. There's nothing you need to do to increase your chances to get into law school. Most special olympians could get into the Tier 4 schools.

All I'm saying is, you can't even smoke much less have 1 college class under your belt dude. When I started school I was premed. Then in my last semester I thought law school was my calling. 11,000 posts on TLS and I ended up deciding law school wasn't the right path for me. And yeah, I clerked for a judge all 4 summers I was in college and know a billion lawyers and judges too.

I just think it's cute

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am

yeah, cute. I sense the douche is strong in this one.

HopefulLawStud wrote:
It is from The Hangover....greatest movie yet.

--ImageRemoved--

HopefulLawStud

New

Post by HopefulLawStud » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm not anything like a gunner, thank you. I'm nothing near one of the douche bags that think they know every fucking thing, I don't. I'm JUST saying I know what I want to do and I'm going to do it.

And listen here, big guy with some kind of anime cartoon as your avatar, the hangover was fucking hilarious.

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 pm

HopefulLawStud wrote:I'm not anything like a gunner, thank you. I'm nothing near one of the douche bags that think they know every fucking thing, I don't. I'm JUST saying I know what I want to do and I'm going to do it.

And listen here, big guy with some kind of anime cartoon as your avatar, the hangover was fucking hilarious.
Save your posts and laugh at them over a glass of wine when your son gets to 17. Then show it to him then hope that he is smarter than you are on predicting the future.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”