Regarding Prep for 3rd time test taker Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
risktaker

Silver

Regarding Prep for 3rd time test taker

Post by risktaker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:05 pm

So, I have exhausted all the study tools. All I have left is 5 old LSAT's and the Kaplan 180 book. I cancelled in Sept, scored a 156 in Dec and gonna take it for the last time in Feb. I was PT'ing at 165+, but the Dec RC just kicked my butt. I was planning on just doing about 4 PT's before FEB test and reviewing them thoroughly. In between PT's, I just planned on going through the Kaplan 180 book. Is there any other good way for studying for RC? RC and LG are my weak sections.

llawguru

New

Re: Regarding Prep for 3rd time test taker

Post by llawguru » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 pm

--ImageRemoved--

For your LG. I just ordered this. I am also taking Feb LSAT. It has 30 exercises and there are 37 days till the Feb LSAT. ~1 exercise per day.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:00 am

If you dropped about 10 points from where you were hitting on your practices in the actual test, I question whether some of it was test anxiety (though I know that I had about a 10 point range on PTs, so perhaps you just hit the bottom of your range). If the 165+ was considerably above your average, then it may be unlikely you will hit that high on the test IMO, but obviously a possibility. If test anxiety is a factor, I think possibly doing hardly anything and going into Feb with an 'I don't care' attitude (if that were possible) may actually help your score. I'm not being sarcastic: the highest I scored on a fully-simulated (5 section) PT was a 170 and I showed up about 5 minutes after the first section started (it was in a prep class) with an attitude of "I really don't care how I score on this, because it's practice'. I hadn't even studied for a few weeks before taking it either, because I had become discouraged with studying. I almost wish I had taken the September test with this attitude instead of paying for a full prep course and taking in December (though who knows what would have happened in that case).

flimflam16

New

Post by flimflam16 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:23 am

I sort of like the advice to go in there with an "I don't care" attitude. I don't know how much time you've been studying per day, but I was doing 3-4 hours per day before December's test (6-7 hours per day during Thanksgiving week), and on test day, my brain completely froze by the time I got to Section 5 (RC). I went from scoring in the 161-165 range on PTs to a 154.

In my case, it could have been test-taking anxiety, but I also know what burnout feels like. So now, I'm limiting my studying for the February test to 1-2 hours per day. I'm also doing few, if any, additional PTs until then. I normally do worst at LR, so I've been going slowly through the Logical Reasoning Bible. (I'm sure the Games Bible is also very good--I have it, but haven't used it yet.)

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, test anxiety was a big part of it. Totally had a panick attack on one section and got a -17 on it, which was the RC. I think I am gonna try to go into this test with a more of a I don't care attitude. Just focus on my weak areas and complete 4 PT's. Thanks for the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”