LSAT Prep Suggestions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Camron

New

LSAT Prep Suggestions

Post by Camron » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello Guys/Gals,

I am a first time poster and was hoping I could have some feedback or any advice for prepping to get a 160+ on the LSAT.

I studied approximately 8 weeks last year for the Feb 09 exam (my problem was that I mastered LG in the summer through the LG Bible but did not continue to practice them until a month before my LSAT date in February, I ended up bombing the LG section due to time), and ended up scoring a 153 :( . My evaluation score was 165-168 but was not timed with scoring on the sheet. I am expected to write it again this February and planned to start prepping well in advance (October), but my workload and school load prevented me to do anything serious until last week :shock: .

I have realized so far I am still heavily struggling with the LG, on average completing 16 in the 35 minute time period. I have timed how long I have been setting up my diagrams, and it is averaging around 4 minutes (linking variables in the rules, drawing the not rules). After doing this, I am still noticing that for many of the Could Be or multi variable linear games, my time drops off considerably. I would be happy doing 3 games in 35 minutes and guessing the last, but even that seems far off. My accuracy is acceptable (20-22+ right) if I am not timed, but I know time is the biggest factor. Is there a specific strategy you guys are using that differs from PowerScore or Ace the LSAT Prep Course (I do not use Kaplan's method as I did not find it useful).

I have 5 weeks before my LSAT and was hoping if you guys could provide me some guidance on what I should be doing to improve my time or in the LG in general? I have every PowerScore text, the Kaplan 08 and 09 LSAT prep book, and nearly all of the practice tests. With time being an issue, should I focus on re reading the texts, or just dive into old exams (currently I am doing 3-4 LG sections timed a day from the old exams)? Is there a certain amount of time I should be focusing on in doing the mapping and the questions in general? How much time do you guys think I should be investing in order to achieve my goal (I can leverage 3 hours/day until the exam, but not sure if that is enough)?

Thanks in advance.

Close Diamond

Bronze

Re: LSAT Prep Suggestions

Post by Close Diamond » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 am

Go through the bible again and do lots of LG sections (devour them): as many as you can excluding any from the most recently administered 15 tests. Then do the last 15 tests (3 per week) timed and review every answer (both the ones you got correct and those you didn't). Three hours per day sounds reasonable.

You can absolutely get a 160+, especially having written before. You have an advantage there.

Camron

New

Post by Camron » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 am

^Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely go through the LGB more indepth (did a brief overview of it since I have done the whole book twice, but will try and do it again), and keep on my 3-4 LG section per day (12 games including reviewing), and then do 3 LSATS each week, starting next week from the last 15 admined. I will keep you guys updated on my score/time wise next week!

Anyone have any other input on specific tips on LGs or is the Powerscore the way to go?

Camron

New

Post by Camron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:31 am

Just as an update, I am now hitting 21-22 questions completed (i.e. all of them) in the time alotted so far for PT 44, 45, and 48. Not sure if this series is just easy, but it seems to have become much more manageable then before. I will do 5X and see how I do then and let you guys know.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:39 pm

The Powerscore bibles were great at helping me get those extra points on the few question types I had been missing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”