Any words on WFH in 2022, please? Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.
Amicus_Curiae2013

New

Any words on WFH in 2022, please?

Post by Amicus_Curiae2013 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:24 am

What are your firms up to?

Anyone works out of Los Angeles/Century City? Traffic being such a huge consideration, how far do you live from work? I am debating entering a cheaper lease further away from work, but traffic, traffic... :mrgreen:

Cantabridgian

New

Re: Any words on WFH in 2022, please?

Post by Cantabridgian » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:27 pm

I worked in Century City from 1975 until 2018. During that time I lived in Pacific Palisades, Hidden Hills and for the last 17 years in Calabasas.

When I first started the traffic wasn't too bad and I was pretty close. Sunset Blvd. to the 405, exit at Santa Monica Blvd. (SMB) and straight to the office. That was from 1975 to 1988. Then I moved to Hidden Hills. I either drove the 101 to the 405 and exited at SMB, or took Pacific Coast Highway to the 10, then to the 405 exiting at SMB.) That was tough. When I moved to Calabasas, another 7 miles farther away, the commute became very difficult and after 2011 I didn't make it very often. I started to WFH. The commutes from north or south of Century City are also very difficult. I don't know about east.

If I had it to do all over again I'd probably try to live in Santa Monica, Westwood or Cheviot Hills if I was just starting out and my firm required me to work in the office. Of course, these are all expensive areas to live in these days if you are an associate, which I assume may be your situation.

The lawfirm I founded in 1975 finally closed its doors in 2018. (I am now of counsel to a small firm in West L.A. near the intersection of SMB and Veteran Ave., whose founding partner used to be the youngest partner at my old firm.) In the last four years I've been to the office maybe 9 times. I have a library at home with two printers, a desktop computer, access to the Internet (of course) and a landline as well as my cell phone.

WFH is a blessing. It saves wear and tear on an old man. (I've been a practicing trial lawyer for over 50 years.) And the state and Federal courts have cooperated, too. They encourage remote appearances except for trials.

I'd be interested in knowing what you decided to do.

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”