What’s it like being a lawyer? Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.
Legalassist

New

What’s it like being a lawyer?

Post by Legalassist » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:55 pm

I’m a legal assistant and only see one side of the legal profession. What’s it like meeting privately with clients and conference calls, etc? Thrilling or boring?

antelope

New

Re: What’s it like being a lawyer?

Post by antelope » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:57 pm

Paralegal here who's met with clients together with the attorneys at my firm. Not sure what you'd call thrilling but, honestly, it can be tedious sometimes, as all meetings usually proceed the same. Some clients are nice and interesting, but others can turn into a nightmare due to their demands and unreasonable expectations, to the point we don't even look forward to talking to them on the phone. I guess it depends on what kind of practice you're in and the type of clients the firm attracts or works with usually. It's a service industry after all, good customer service and interpersonal skills are a must for good client relations. For me, the good clients and cases make it worth it

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Depends on the practice area and city.

You mean biglaw? Or government? Or state prosecutor? What do you mean?

Generally speaking it can be super exciting sometimes. But other times it is just sitting at a desk and doing pretty mundane kind of stuff.

But the money makes it nice :)

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Yeah you need to be more specific. Are you talking in house general transactional type, a firm attorney serving startups, a biglaw litigator, a prosecutor, a public defender?

advocatesdenverco

New

Post by advocatesdenverco » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Being a lawyer is not all glitz and glamour, it required mental and emotionally prepared.

loveyer

New

Post by loveyer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:13 pm

It depends, for example, if you work for a company, you won't meet such problems as mad clients and no-money months. But most lawyers to avoid routine expanding their area of practice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”