Law.com study on law and mental health - sleep deprivation Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.
Npret

Gold

Law.com study on law and mental health - sleep deprivation

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 pm

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2019 ... xhaustion/

This may be in a paywall but I think you just register and you can get free articles. I have had an account for years now so I don’t know how to access the articles for free.

Npret

Gold

Re: Law.com study on law and mental health - sleep deprivation

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Here’s a bit of the article
You have this constellation of issues that create tremendous stress and then really put lawyers at the risk of being vulnerable to mental health or substance abuse issues,” said Eileen Travis, director of the New York City Bar Association’s Lawyer Assistance Program.

Industry watchers and psychologists pointed to several deeply ingrained features of the legal profession: lawyers must always be ready to do their job at the drop of a hat; they must vigorously represent their client or cause at all costs, but may not do the same for themselves; forsaking one’s own well-being in favor of embodying a lawyer’s mindset at all times is a badge of honor.

Taken to the extreme, these realities have created a population of tired and lonely lawyers.

“It’s kind of like an endurance contest or something. This big reservoir of resentment … fills up with rage,” said William Meyerhofer, a psychotherapist and former Sullivan & Cromwell lawyer. ...

objctnyrhnr

Re: Law.com study on law and mental health - sleep deprivation

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:55 am

I understand why people (including myself) do lit biglaw. Never understood why people put themselves through this stuff just to put together contracts for acquisitions, etc. If you want to be a big part of business deals, why go to law school?

(Anticipating pushback)

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”