Dechert Associate Dies Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.
abiglawyer

New

Dechert Associate Dies

Post by abiglawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Does anyone know anything about this? Above The Law posted and deleted an article titled "Overworked, Young Biglaw Associate Reportedly Dies by Suicide in New York" yesterday and then deleted it (maybe after pressure from Dechert?). (Article link is still viewable if you search "Dechert associate suicide," but link itself is dead.)

Another reminder of the potentially fatal stresses inherent in New York biglaw. Stay safe out there.

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Dechert Associate Dies

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:07 pm

There's still a law.com article posted about it while the ATL link is indeed dead (though I'm not surprised it got taken down given they titled it "Overworked, Young Biglaw Associate Reportedly Dies By Suicide In ..."

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:22 pm

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2019 ... lay-found/

This is a bit of information. Sorry to read about this and my sympathies to his friends and family. He sounds like a a good person. It’s a huge loss.

Here’s a link with information if you want to help someone who seems suicidal:
https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/h ... eone-else/

Here’s the suicide hotline. Call if you need help:
1-800-273-8255
Last edited by Npret on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Yugihoe wrote:There's still a law.com article posted about it while the ATL link is indeed dead (though I'm not surprised it got taken down given they titled it "Overworked, Young Biglaw Associate Reportedly Dies By Suicide In ..."
ATL can be so toxic. They sound happy to have a tabloid headline to throw up to exploit this attorney’s death. I never read them anymore. They were only good for tracking layoffs a decade ago.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Npret wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:There's still a law.com article posted about it while the ATL link is indeed dead (though I'm not surprised it got taken down given they titled it "Overworked, Young Biglaw Associate Reportedly Dies By Suicide In ..."
ATL can be so toxic. They sound happy to have a tabloid headline to throw up to exploit this attorney’s death. I never read them anymore. They were only good for tracking layoffs a decade ago.
Agreed, they're just click bait garbage now and most of the articles have no substance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm

I knew him from law school. He was a great person and his passing is a huge loss. I'm glad the ATL article was taken down as it looked like something out of the show "Black Mirror". They had a quote in there where another Dechert associate allegedly said "we all knew he was cracking, but we thought he'd probably just quit eventually." Just shows the sorry state of our society and this "profession" with respect to mental health and the classlessness of many news media outlets today.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I knew him from law school. He was a great person and his passing is a huge loss. I'm glad the ATL article was taken down as it looked like something out of the show "Black Mirror". They had a quote in there where another Dechert associate allegedly said "we all knew he was cracking, but we thought he'd probably just quit eventually." Just shows the sorry state of our society and this "profession" with respect to mental health and the classlessness of many news media outlets today.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I saw that quote and was also disgusted. I hope that you can find some time to process your loss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I’m surprised they commented at all given Dechert’s propensity to sweep things under the rug. They haven’t said anything to the non-NY associates. Can someone link to a non-paywalled source? I can only access part of the law.com article.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m surprised they commented at all given Dechert’s propensity to sweep things under the rug. They haven’t said anything to the non-NY associates. Can someone link to a non-paywalled source? I can only access part of the law.com article.
Here’s part of the article that includes Decherts comments. You can register for nothing or use lexis to login to law.com. I’m being very limited in my use of their material- but I didn’t delete intervening paragraphs because I was concerned about accuracy. The article continues beyond this quote.
An associate in Dechert’s New York office died at a New York City residence last week, police reports and the firm confirmed.

Cameron Schladenhauffen, 31, died Feb. 8, according to an obituary published in the Northwest Florida Daily News.

According to the New York City Police Department, police responded to a 911 call of an unconscious person inside an apartment on East 17th St. at 6:15 p.m. on Feb. 8. Police discovered a 31-year-old male, unconscious on his bed, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said no weapon or visible injuries were found.

“There is no criminality suspected,” the police department said in an emailed statement. The medical examiner said a determination on the cause of death is still pending.

Dechert did not answer questions about the circumstances of Schladenhauffen’s death. A firm spokesperson said, “We are profoundly saddened about Cameron’s passing, which is a loss to all who knew him at the firm. Our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time.”

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:23 pm

This is just so sad, so young. IMO, nothing is worth being so sad and miserable.

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:This is just so sad, so young. IMO, nothing is worth being so sad and miserable.
so shitty :(

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 am

Parts of the article I didn’t quote describe how funny and fun loving he was. He applied for a comedy writing program. The family asked for donations to a charity that uses comedy to help people with depression.

It’s tragic, sad and unnecessary.

I know I posted before but if you feel at all suicidal- and the rates of depression and suicide in our profession is high - please call for help. There are plenty of people out there who care about you and want you to live and don’t give a fuck about your money, success or career.

The hotline number is 1-800-273-8255

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:12 pm

I knew Cam in law school. He was a really incredible person and one of the funniest people I've ever met. He was the guy behind a lot of the libel shows that ATL posted a few years back (e.g., 'gunners without arms'). Second the above, please seek out help if you are feeling depressed.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Cause of death confirmed
https://www.law.com/thelegalintelligenc ... -of-drugs/

This profession is sad.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 pm

strawberrieee wrote:Cause of death confirmed
https://www.law.com/thelegalintelligenc ... -of-drugs/

This profession is sad.
That article says the death was accidental though?

AC20015

New

Post by AC20015 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:58 am

This was not a suicide. There were incorrect reports stating that it was. He was loved

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:12 pm

It's a shameful title for an article and they should issue an apology letter to the family. It's one thing to be a tabloid paper that makes fun of summer associates and law students for social mishaps. It's another to apply that style of journalism to the death of an ordinary person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”