So many companies are breaching medical ethics nowadays Forum

Discuss the latest legal news and law firm gossip with fellow attorneys.
Thelawyerkid

New

So many companies are breaching medical ethics nowadays

Post by Thelawyerkid » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:00 am

On the end of August 2018, a US federal court finalized a $245 million penalty against Pinnacle Ultimate metal-on-metal hip implants made by Johnson & Johnson and its affiliate DePuy Orthopaedics. The hip-implant devices were defective and it was alleged that the patients had serious injuries due to the implants. As far as I have heard, the company is not going for an appeal it seems.
There are lawsuits against DePuy Pinnacle hip happening in many other counties outside the US like in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, Germany and Italy.
These lawsuits made me wonder why there is no nationwide ban of the against the hip implants offered by the DePuy Pinnacle or why there was no action taken against them for breaching the quality mark. As far as I know, the penalty amount is because of the personal injury caused by their faulty devices not due to their misconduct.
Can someone please help me to understand why the court has taken no action against the company for breaching the medical standards?

Return to “Legal News/Law Firm Gossip”