What is the best job Forum

Use this forum to discuss different legal practice areas with other attorneys.
kylajo92

New

What is the best job

Post by kylajo92 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 pm

What is the best biglaw gig and why
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

TUwave

New

Re: What is the best job

Post by TUwave » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Easy, T&E at a market paying firm.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 am

Pro bono counsel seems like a great job.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best biglaw gig and why
70 year old partner

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am

TUwave wrote:Easy, T&E at a market paying firm.
Second this, although I would expand this to T&E in secondary markets at biglaw firms as well - the T&E folks at my old job had fantastic QOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ImaginaryDay

New

Post by ImaginaryDay » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm

I like that pro bono is a way to really get experience like talked about in this other thread. Pro bono work can make us better attorneys, especially by connecting with people that may not have the chance to have an attorney fight for them.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10405114

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:13 am

NottaMod wrote:I like that pro bono is a way to really get experience like talked about in this other thread. Pro bono work can make us better attorneys, especially by connecting with people that may not have the chance to have an attorney fight for them.

Pro bono is great if you are a litigator who wants trial experience. In the transactional context, it's not useful.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am

dabigchina wrote:
NottaMod wrote:I like that pro bono is a way to really get experience like talked about in this other thread. Pro bono work can make us better attorneys, especially by connecting with people that may not have the chance to have an attorney fight for them.

Pro bono is great if you are a litigator who wants trial experience. In the transactional context, it's not useful.
I disagree. You can help build corporate governance structure for non-profits, draft bylaws, or do a variety of other things for businesses that otherwise wouldn't have access to counsel.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:01 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

I disagree. You can help build corporate governance structure for non-profits, draft bylaws, or do a variety of other things for businesses that otherwise wouldn't have access to counsel.
Ok but we literally do that every single day for paying clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Wouldn’t pro bono in those areas get you experience in those things at a level above your class year? (Honest question, I have no idea.)

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:06 pm

nixy wrote:Wouldn’t pro bono in those areas get you experience in those things at a level above your class year? (Honest question, I have no idea.)
Not really, but I practice in silicon valley, where first years are expected to more or less handle simple incorporations on their own, so things might be different in New York.

Plus, it's not like pro bono Corp governance is the most complicated thing in the world. Every incorporation I have worked on has consisted of updating the names in the documents from the last incorporation someone else did.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 pm

dabigchina wrote:
nixy wrote:Wouldn’t pro bono in those areas get you experience in those things at a level above your class year? (Honest question, I have no idea.)
Not really, but I practice in silicon valley, where first years are expected to more or less handle simple incorporations on their own, so things might be different in New York.

Plus, it's not like pro bono Corp governance is the most complicated thing in the world. Every incorporation I have worked on has consisted of updating the names in the documents from the last incorporation someone else did.
Sounds an awful lot like US governance.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

dabigchina wrote:

While this is accurate, there's so much wrong with it at the same time.
Unfortunately, at startup, nobody wants to spend money on lawyers to do it right (which is fair, considering how many ventures fail). But realistically, different founders have different interests, and the documents should reflect that. It's like the question of how much equity each partner should have. There's no right answer, but the wrong answer is 50/50.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheNavigator

New

Post by TheNavigator » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

How competitive is it to get a spot as an associate in this practice area? Do the exit options compare to transactional?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:07 am

FND wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

While this is accurate, there's so much wrong with it at the same time.
Unfortunately, at startup, nobody wants to spend money on lawyers to do it right (which is fair, considering how many ventures fail). But realistically, different founders have different interests, and the documents should reflect that. It's like the question of how much equity each partner should have. There's no right answer, but the wrong answer is 50/50.
OK, but i've never heard of the founders of a pro bono non profit client having divergent interests (at least not at the formation stage). people sit on the board of these things to inflate their egos and work on their pet projects. there's no real money on the line.

If you are talking about my comment re: first years handling incorporation on their own - yes, that is the expectation.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 am

The answer to OP’s question won’t be the same for everybody. For example, being a mid or senior biglaw litigation associate on the partnership track who commands the respect of the group and therefore has the ability to turndown work while also running cases, doing trials, getting a ton of client interaction is a pretty sweet gig...but only if that associate really likes to litigate. If the associate is an introvert and/or nonconfrontational, I could see this being less than ideal.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:The answer to OP’s question won’t be the same for everybody. For example, being a mid or senior biglaw litigation associate on the partnership track who commands the respect of the group and therefore has the ability to turndown work while also running cases, doing trials, getting a ton of client interaction is a pretty sweet gig...but only if that associate really likes to litigate. If the associate is an introvert and/or nonconfrontational, I could see this being less than ideal.
Yeah, my sister once dated a solo lawyer (who wasn't particularly good). The guy loved litigating and going to court, so he was happy being a shitlaw solo.

Personally, I don't ever need to see the inside of a court room. But I love the rush of closing a deal.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Disagree. T&E can get drawn into obnoxious family drama that can create stupid fire drills. It's a loss leader for any market paying firm at this point, which means that making equity partner will be nearly impossible. You are always going to be worried that the firm will jettison the entire department (as some firms have).

The best jobs in biglaw will depend on what you want and at what level. The cushiest are the very senior partners who do very little work but hold key relationships with important clients. But most of those partners are 60+, and I'd personally rather just be retired at that point. The highest paid are the workaholic rainmakers, but I don't have the personality for that, and I'd like to see my family on occasion (the senior partners who do little work generally used to fall into this category). The best associate jobs are ones where you work for partners who care about your development and give you space in your personal life. That's a very case-by-case situation and not practice area specific (although finding this situation is more likely in some practices/firms than others).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Discussion of Practice Areas”