Schools that Pay for you to visit during ASW Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Schools that Pay for you to visit during ASW

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:16 am

Cornell gives a stipend for those who are in financial need. It looks like they consider two factors: distance from the school and financial constraint. No idea what the average amount would be, I just got that info from the admitted students site.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks y'all, I updated at the top!

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 am

Texas offered some admits $200 for travel expenses (I believe it was for admits who were also offered sizable scholarships).
Berkeley definitely offered more than $300 of out of state last year...I think my ticket was around 400 or 450 and they covered the whole thing. I'm going to go with $400.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:19 am

Kretzy wrote: Duke: Provides up to $250 travel reimbursement for all admitted students.
Kretzy, can you tell me where Duke informed you of this $250 travel reimbursement? I can't find it anywhere on the admitted students website or in the packet. Considering interviewing for their scholarship program, but might choose to travel only if my flight is covered. Thanks!!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 am

Not sure how much, but I've seen admitted students post on here that Lewis & Clark awards travel stipends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:35 am

lawyering wrote:
Kretzy wrote: Duke: Provides up to $250 travel reimbursement for all admitted students.
Kretzy, can you tell me where Duke informed you of this $250 travel reimbursement? I can't find it anywhere on the admitted students website or in the packet. Considering interviewing for their scholarship program, but might choose to travel only if my flight is covered. Thanks!!
It was from last year, but in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =8&t=57575. Not positive about this year, but I'm going to keep this number until I get information otherwise.

Hope that helps!

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:21 am

Cardozo will pay you. The amount varies depending on how far away you are. I believe to get the full reimbursement you have to be outside of 300 miles away. For half reimbursement, 150..

I am not certain on the numbers because I did this a year ago, but they definitely help out. All you do is fill out a form. You can request it by emailing the admissions office.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you for posting all this info, really appreciate it.

jm19

New

Post by jm19 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:08 am

Penn, available to all admits and amount dependent on distance up to $200. The email asks students to use discretion and only request the travel stipend if we really need it, as they don't require any documentation of financial need.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:17 am

Travel Reimbursement Policy
For those admitted students to whom visiting the Law School will prove an uncommonly demanding financial burden, we offer one-time travel reimbursements for airfare, train (regular Amtrak, not Acela), bus, or gas/mileage. We do not cover accommodations, tolls, or parking costs.

Our policy: we will reimburse up to $100 for those students travelling within the Northeast region; and up to $200 for those travelling from farther distances. Approved checks will be mailed by the University approximately four weeks after receipt of all required documents. Thus, please save your boarding pass/ticket and receipt, and ask for the official Admissions Office Reimbursement Forms before you return home.

We recommend careful planning to secure less expensive options, including online sites like Kayak and Southwest Airlines, and bus services like Bolt Bus and Megabus; if applicable, we also encourage sharing travel expenses as per the reimbursement policies of other law schools visited in the same trip. Finally, students in unique situations should contact us to evaluate other options.
Penn's full description of their policy.

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:34 am

Tagging for later.

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:38 am

Any idea about NYU? NJTransit is only $18 to NYC, so it's not a huge deal either way, but I'd obviously rather not pay...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:37 pm

kinch wrote:Any idea about NYU? NJTransit is only $18 to NYC, so it's not a huge deal either way, but I'd obviously rather not pay...
Unless you are a finalist for one of the named scholarships, I can't find any reimbursement policy from NYU (or Columbia, for that matter).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Anyone know whether Boston University offers anything? I'd obviously prefer to take the train from NYC but it would be nice to at least get the bus fare reimbursed.

EDIT: I've only received the phone call and my packet's on the way, so my apologies if the information is included in the packet...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm pretty sure Michigan offers Darrow recipients a travel subsidy of up to $500. Don't know if this policy has changed though.

Did anyone notice that the Michigan and NYU ASWs for 2010 will clash as of now(both are scheduled for 25-26 March)? This sucks, cos I was really hoping to go check out both schools.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:20 pm

ankit wrote:I'm pretty sure Michigan offers Darrow recipients a travel subsidy of up to $500. Don't know if this policy has changed though.

Did anyone notice that the Michigan and NYU ASWs for 2010 will clash as of now(both are scheduled for 25-26 March)? This sucks, cos I was really hoping to go check out both schools.
There's an earlier one for Mich, 11-13 March.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:12 am

thalassocrat wrote:
ankit wrote:I'm pretty sure Michigan offers Darrow recipients a travel subsidy of up to $500. Don't know if this policy has changed though.

There's an earlier one for Mich, 11-13 March.
Does anyone know if schools will pay you if you're ED secured to a school? I'd probably go to UCLA's ASD either way, but I'd like it if they gave me money. From what I've heard it's first come first serve to all admittances, but I'm not sure...

Haha, my friend who has already gotten into HLS (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) wants to apply to UCLA just so they will reimburse ASD costs and he can chill out on the LA beach for a bit. He's such a tool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:28 am

Kretzy wrote:I spoke with Nick Wallace at Minnesota Law today. He told me they would be helping pay for me to visit, but I don't know if this means all applicants will get it or just scholarship recipients. I'll hold off on updating UMN until I get my envelope.
Did you receive your envelope yet? Mine said up to $300 would be covered and it didn't seem contingent on enrollment.

alex06

New

Post by alex06 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 am

Great idea OP!

I can confirm the fact that Michigan pays for travel for Darrow recipients. I have a friend who did that last year. Not sure of the amount, but it was pretty sizable so $500 sounds right.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 am

eskimo wrote:-UIUC will give a 250 deduction off your 1st deposit to "reimburse" you for your travel expenses.
I'm surprised this isn't more common. Seems like a win-win for the school...

Alabama not only provides reimbursement, they actually book the airfare and hotel for you ahead of time.
Notre Dame offers a $300 travel stipend to all admitted students (for any visit date, ASW or not), but you do have to submit a perfunctory application beforehand.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:37 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I spoke with Nick Wallace at Minnesota Law today. He told me they would be helping pay for me to visit, but I don't know if this means all applicants will get it or just scholarship recipients. I'll hold off on updating UMN until I get my envelope.
Did you receive your envelope yet? Mine said up to $300 would be covered and it didn't seem contingent on enrollment.
I didn't get the packet yet; lost in transit. I also withdrew, so I don't know if I'll ever get it.

From my phone chat with UMN, it seemed like they would pay for me to visit regardless of enrolling. Tempting to check it out, but seems sort of wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Bumping this thread. Anyone have any idea about NYU?

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:11 pm

flcath wrote:
eskimo wrote:-UIUC will give a 250 deduction off your 1st deposit to "reimburse" you for your travel expenses.
I'm surprised this isn't more common. Seems like a win-win for the school...

Alabama not only provides reimbursement, they actually book the airfare and hotel for you ahead of time.
Notre Dame offers a $300 travel stipend to all admitted students (for any visit date, ASW or not), but you do have to submit a perfunctory application beforehand.
Yeah, I am pretty sure Alabama has some former, shady football recruiters working in their law office now... they do a really good job of courting admitees.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm

definitely tagging this for later.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 pm

webbylu87 wrote:definitely tagging this for later.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”