Transfer to HYS from lower T14? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
amadeus.vc

New

Transfer to HYS from lower T14?

Post by amadeus.vc » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:12 pm

172 LSAT and 3.69 GPA here, pretty slim chances for HYS, my main reason for attending LS was to be able to work for a int' firm in Asia, where my family is. It seems that in order to do so, I would have to break into the T5. So I was wondering how easy is it to transfer into Harvard/Yale/Columbia, if I went to a place like Cornell, Georgetown, or Duke, and got pretty good grades from first year?

Similarly, what are the chances of working at a top firm in Hong Kong/Shanghai with a JD from a school ranked 5-15?

Many thanks!

Gold

Re: Transfer to HYS from lower T14?

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Going to law school intending to transfer is generally inadvisable.

That being said, you have fairly good a chance at CCN with your numbers.

See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DBreslin417/jd

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:23 pm

If your grades are good enough to transfer to YS then they won't be what holds you back from getting a job from the lower T14 even if you stay.

By international firm you must mean an American/UK firm with offices in Hong Kong that hires JDs. All you have to do is look up their offices and check their lawyer's bio pages to see where they went to school.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:47 pm

mistergoft wrote:Going to law school intending to transfer is generally inadvisable.

That being said, you have fairly good a chance at CCN with your numbers.

See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DBreslin417/jd

I think that advice really only applies to non top 14 schools. If you get into a top 14 with the intention to transfer up it is basically a win win situation. You are already at a school where you would not be totally screwed if you try to transfer up--trying to do so can only put you in a better scenario.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”