Combo degree Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Which 2 degree or certification combo is best in general for overall knowledge of law and business?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:18 pm

JD/MS ECON
22%
JD/CFA
7%
JD/CPA
19%
JD/MBA
52%

Total votes: 27

utk

New

Combo degree

Post by utk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 pm

PhDs were left out because they take a loooong time - these are all potentially reachable goals

capitalacq

Silver

Re: Combo degree

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:20 am

this question is too broad to actually answer. What about business do you want to know? (Overall strategy, the theory of the firm, how markets work, how they account/transact?) And you can just eliminate the CFA right away.

and the answer you didn't include is that you don't actually need any. If you go to a law school at a university with a b-school, you can take some electives and get all you need to know out of it.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:47 am

I like the JD/MBA/CPA/PHD/MSW/MS/MA/MFA/LLM combo myself. Just cover all the bases.

PatMoore05

New

Post by PatMoore05 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 am

I prefer the JD/AA (Management-Devry) to catapult me to greatness.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

There are only 2 types of graduate degrees left which will impress people (i.e. have intrinsic value), an MD or a PhD in a hard science. Everything else is complete fluff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dialogue

New

Post by Dialogue » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am

MTal wrote:There are only 2 types of graduate degrees left which will impress people (i.e. have intrinsic value), an MD or a PhD in a hard science. Everything else is complete fluff.
These two are not equivalent.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

Dialogue wrote:
MTal wrote:There are only 2 types of graduate degrees left which will impress people (i.e. have intrinsic value), an MD or a PhD in a hard science. Everything else is complete fluff.
These two are not equivalent.
True. I guess there are still people out there who are impressed by JD's (although this group is shrinking rapidly every day).

ChiCat

New

Post by ChiCat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 pm

capitalacq wrote:And you can just eliminate the CFA right away.
I have MBA/CFA. I generally agree with you that there is a lot of fluff, just curious why you are eliminating the CFA.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Also too many PhD's in research science are awarded every year. Way too many for the market to employ. Though they pay the student to get the PhD. PhDs have to spend years doing postdoc research jobs that pay insulting low amounts of money. No debt, but a lot of time wasted.

PhD's and MS's in engineering fields is where it is at. They get hired by industry as well as academia and research.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Last edited by MC Southstar on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:56 pm

ChiCat wrote:
I have MBA/CFA. I generally agree with you that there is a lot of fluff, just curious why you are eliminating the CFA.
I don't see the direct or indirect relevance to a lawyer of getting a degree for investment/portfolio management... plus, I'm guessing OP doesn't realize that it also requires 4 years of work experience in a role related to investment management.

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:57 pm

capitalacq wrote:
ChiCat wrote:
I don't see the direct or indirect relevance to a lawyer of getting a degree for investment/portfolio management... plus, I'm guessing OP doesn't realize that it also requires 4 years of work experience in a role related to investment management.
What if OP wants to go into estate or financial planning?

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 pm

capitalacq wrote:
ChiCat wrote:
Well, it's 4 years of work experience working in finance...it really doesn't matter what field. 4 years in legal/compliance at an investment shop would qualify.

Per the CFA site: You need 48 months "Engaged in responsibilities and/or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:09 pm

donzoli wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
ChiCat wrote:

If Op decides to practice law in the capacity of estate planning and also starts to sell financial products to his clients as a CFA, he will have a whole new special set of issues to deal with.. Losing his law license being one of them.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:12 pm

LOL @ the naive dellusions of these posters. "I want to be PresTTiguOUs LAWehr, pLUs doo Nyooroh-SurdgeRIE and STUFF, PLuS Sooper-Moddle mid-EAST NiGOHshiater diplo-MATT!!!"

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:10 pm

donzoli wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
ChiCat wrote:
then I doubt he would have asked what is the best degree for "overall knowledge of law and business?"

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 pm

The CFA curriculum pretty much mirrors the first years courseload of an MBA program(stats, quant analysis, accounting, micro and macro econ,etc.) Then it starts to take these principles and apply them to investment management.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Combo degrees are one of those situations where result is less than the sum of the parts.

Just don't.

BTW: a CPA is not a degree. You can't get a CPA as part of a combo degree because most states have work experience requirements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”