Best Law School Concentration financially. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lioness

New

Post by lioness » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm

With my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry, I can sit for the patent bar exam, and possibly have a good chance of passing??(or, would take require a MS or PhD).
Hellster,

The patent bar tests patent law, not a specific area of technology. You only need a Bachelor's degree (related to engineering, science, etc.) to sit for the patent bar.

hellster

New

Post by hellster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:32 pm

You only need a Bachelor's degree (related to engineering, science, etc.) to sit for the patent bar.
So why would anybody you even need to attend law school? To learn litigation and then apply to Patent Law? How about attorneys practicing patent law without ever sitting for the patent bar, would that still be as lucrative?

Kitty_

Post by Kitty_ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 am

So why would anybody you even need to attend law school?
It is certainly true that to be a patent agent you do not have to go to law school.
Patent attorneys make a starting salary perhaps twice that of patent agents, and attorneys have more opportunities for career advancement, e.g. they can become partners.

chcor70

New

Post by chcor70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 am

you guys need to talk to more practicing attorneys. Look at patentlaw's post and re-read it. To practice patent litigation you need no science background. In many cases a lit team will be made up of a few science bckgrnd attorneys and then regular litigation attorneys. the motions are all the same as regular litigation. For prosecution to FILE it with the patent office you have to pass the patent bar. That doesnt mean that you can not work on it, construct it or even write the entire thing, you just cant sign it. That being said my brother, sister, gf and sister-in-law are all patent attorneys. Two of them are B.S. in chem who passed the patent bar. the other two are B.S. in chem E without taking the patent bar. All four are 3rd year associates at top 10 IP firms in NYC. and I unfortunately am their retarded little brother.
Everyone gets paid the same, there is no special bonus for science or phd. Bonus is not based on # of degrees, rather billable hours and quality of work

Alex138

New

Post by Alex138 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 am

entertainment

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 am

The point about patent was for somebody who may or may not be able to usually make it to a big law firm. Many patent folks who come out of lower ranked schools can make the big bucks anyway if they have a science degree and are eligible to take the patent bar.

The original post did state that people who are going to get paid the big money for a market will be paid at the standard rate anyway.

Ralph Wiggum

New

Post by Ralph Wiggum » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:51 am

a friend works at a biglaw firm in SF. he said that starting salary for IP at his firm = usual market rate + $15k. sweet.

randomposter

New

Post by randomposter » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:45 pm

At a biglaw firm everyone gets paid the same. A corporate lawyer at a top firm gets paid the same as a patent lawyer. Salaries are lockstep which means everyone in the same class gets paid the same amount, if you take a look at salary charts for top firms, it's all based on what year you graduated law school in.
Not true. Many BIGLAW firms start you out at the second year payscale or give a patent bar bonus (or both) if you have passed the patent bar. They are pretty mum about this - I'm at a firm for the second summer and I just heard about this. I'm splitting this summer, so I'm currently at a second firm - yesterday they told me they also offer a raise for those who pass the patent bar. It's going to come to around an extra 10-15K a year, depending on which firm I choose.
To practice patent litigation you need no science background. In many cases a lit team will be made up of a few science bckgrnd attorneys and then regular litigation attorneys.
Depends on the firm. You don't NEED it, but it's not just coincidence that most patent litigators do in fact have the science/engr background. Last summer I clerked in the ED of Texas (after spending the first half in IP firm) so all I did was watch patent litigation. Most of those arguing were not general litigators. Also, most patent litigators handle their own appeals.

Kitty already said it, but just passing the patent bar means you can write patents (patent prosecution). You cannot go to court to litigate them, ie defend someone accused of infringement. [/quote]

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Not true. Many BIGLAW firms start you out at the second year payscale or give a patent bar bonus (or both) if you have passed the patent bar. They are pretty mum about this - I'm at a firm for the second summer and I just heard about this. I'm splitting this summer, so I'm currently at a second firm - yesterday they told me they also offer a raise for those who pass the patent bar. It's going to come to around an extra 10-15K a year, depending on which firm I choose.
Maybe it depends on the firm or market, or they don't advertise it to recruits. I have IP friends in most of the major biglaw players in the market (not a huge IP city but one of the biggest legal markets overall) here and no one pays a premium that I've heard about. One firm used to but I think with the latest raises everyone's on the same scale now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

randomposter

New

Post by randomposter » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Yeah, like I said, I was with the firm last summer and this summer and they didn't tell me until my last week, and even then it was sort of casually mentioned. I was specifically told that they don't advertise it because attorneys in other sections grumble about it.

And it's not an IP bonus; it's just a patent bar bonus. Certain types of IP like copyright and trademark just aren't really that different from other types of law; IP lawyers who don't have a tech background tend to do those types of IP. Most who do PATENT litigation do have that technical background.
Last edited by randomposter on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Interesting. West Coast?

randomposter

New

Post by randomposter » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Texas. One is a TX firm, the other is a NY firm.

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Good to know, I guess I was wrong about that. I hadn't heard of a patent bar bonus, I didn't apply in either of those markets, but I'd assume it happens in other firms of those markets too, 10K-15K for passing the patent bar is pretty sweet.

My firm gives you a pat on the back and drinks on the firm for the night.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArkansasFan

New

In House Counsel

Post by ArkansasFan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:03 pm

What about in-house counsel at the local Fortune 500 Oil Company? Any ideas?

Interestingly, have you ever heard of a company that would pay for you to attend law school if you agree to work for them x number of years afterwards?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”