JAG with a family? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bvsimon3

New

Re: JAG with a family?

Post by bvsimon3 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:17 pm

I have a quick questinon. Does anyone have any insight to what it would be like as a single parent in the AF or military in general? Also when applying for JAG i know the AF has a spot on the location page where you can give more detail about your location preferences. Has anyone put something in their in regards to dependents and things like that?

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 am

Bankhead wrote:I have a friend who is Army JAG. He was deployed to Iraq for a year, starting last week. If you truly think that military occupied countries like Iraq and Afghanistan are "god aweful" then perhaps JAG isn't the type of job for you.

All of this!!!

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 am

bvsimon3 wrote:I have a quick questinon. Does anyone have any insight to what it would be like as a single parent in the AF or military in general? Also when applying for JAG i know the AF has a spot on the location page where you can give more detail about your location preferences. Has anyone put something in their in regards to dependents and things like that?
I cant tell you what its like to be in the ChairForce, as I was active duty Navy for 8 years and a single father. It was very difficult and the Navy is not for single parents. PERIOD. The AF is a lot more family oriented and there are tons of people who I know were single parents but had to bring their parents OCONUS to countries like Guam, Japan, Italy. The military in general is very fluid so nobody can tell you FOR CERTAIN what will happen. I can tell you the overall consensus of the military (past and present) is your spouse was not issued so the general thought is "that's not our problem". There is a reason military has the highest divorce rate. That's my two cents others may disagree but I can tell you I chose to separate because of family concerns, and I'm a military brat so I've been on both sides! Preference is always based on availability, need, class rank, and a little bit of luck. After your first assignment you may have more options.

To be successful in the military I can tell you, you need to be flexible, and open minded. Not like people say when they want to land a job. Dig deep, and think if this is what you want to do cause if you're not willing to go to "westbumbaf*ck" chances our this aint for you playa.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Mccoyology wrote:
bvsimon3 wrote:I have a quick questinon. Does anyone have any insight to what it would be like as a single parent in the AF or military in general? Also when applying for JAG i know the AF has a spot on the location page where you can give more detail about your location preferences. Has anyone put something in their in regards to dependents and things like that?
I cant tell you what its like to be in the ChairForce, as I was active duty Navy for 8 years and a single father. It was very difficult and the Navy is not for single parents. PERIOD. The AF is a lot more family oriented and there are tons of people who I know were single parents but had to bring their parents OCONUS to countries like Guam, Japan, Italy. The military in general is very fluid so nobody can tell you FOR CERTAIN what will happen. I can tell you the overall consensus of the military (past and present) is your spouse was not issued so the general thought is "that's not our problem". There is a reason military has the highest divorce rate. That's my two cents others may disagree but I can tell you I chose to separate because of family concerns, and I'm a military brat so I've been on both sides! Preference is always based on availability, need, class rank, and a little bit of luck. After your first assignment you may have more options.

To be successful in the military I can tell you, you need to be flexible, and open minded. Not like people say when they want to land a job. Dig deep, and think if this is what you want to do cause if you're not willing to go to "westbumbaf*ck" chances our this aint for you playa.
I can speak to the Chairforce and its pretty similar. You will need to have a plan on file with the Unit about what you are going to do with your kid when they are sick, school is cancelled, you go TDY or deploy. I know people who have done it and its hard, but they did it. I will say that the Air Force dings single parents in a lot of recruiting situations. They aren't going to kick you out for being a single parent, but there is a real possibility you could get rejected for it. I'm not saying that this is what will happen to you or that you shouldn't apply, but I would definitely be thinking of backup plans in case it turns out like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”