Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
birdlaw117

Gold
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Does .02 matter all that much though, unless it sends you over a school's 25, median or 75? Or some kind of threshold number, like a 3.0 or 3.5?
Probably not. I like to think my gpa moving from 3.59 to 3.61 was worth more than the .02 though, since it crossed the 3.6 mark. I don't know if that really is the case though.

User avatar
soj

Platinum
Posts: 7888
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by soj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Classes I passed under Pass/Fail (and for which I had to designate P/F early in the term) won't bring me down, right?

User avatar
im_blue

Gold
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:47 pm

soj wrote:Classes I passed under Pass/Fail (and for which I had to designate P/F early in the term) won't bring me down, right?
Right, those don't count, but Fail = F = 0.

davidtothej05

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by davidtothej05 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:19 pm

3.49 to 3.35... you gotta be kidding me

if you open the reports that LSAC sends to your schools, it will tell you the GPA that your school gave you, and then the one that they calculated.

ilove_toshop

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:52 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by ilove_toshop » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:56 am

davidtothej05 wrote:3.49 to 3.35... you gotta be kidding me

if you open the reports that LSAC sends to your schools, it will tell you the GPA that your school gave you, and then the one that they calculated.
ahhhh they dropped me from a 3.56 to a 3.45---I officially hate them!

But thank goodness they include your actual school GPA in the report!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
MysticalWheel

Bronze
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by MysticalWheel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:37 pm

3.74 to 3.82...I considered renaming my cat "LSAC" after that...

MW

User avatar
im_blue

Gold
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by im_blue » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

ilove_toshop wrote:
davidtothej05 wrote:3.49 to 3.35... you gotta be kidding me

if you open the reports that LSAC sends to your schools, it will tell you the GPA that your school gave you, and then the one that they calculated.
ahhhh they dropped me from a 3.56 to a 3.45---I officially hate them!

But thank goodness they include your actual school GPA in the report!!!!!!!!
which means nothing because only the LSAC GPA counts

User avatar
Gotti

Gold
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by Gotti » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:39 pm

damn I had no idea you could be dinged....i went up .11 from 3.84

User avatar
kjadkins

Silver
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by kjadkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 pm

I got bumped up from 3.37 to 3.39... I have a boatload of B+s, which count as 3.3 at W&M but 3.33 for LSAC, so that probably explains it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
kjadkins

Silver
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by kjadkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:18 pm

kjadkins wrote:I got bumped up from 3.37 to 3.39... I have a boatload of B+s, which count as 3.3 at W&M but 3.33 for LSAC, so that probably explains it.
And they also counted a summer that I studied "away" in DC and got 3.7, so that helps too. Assuming that the "Cumulative GPA" in the summary box is what law schools care about (correct me if I'm wrong).

User avatar
isaiahnielsen

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by isaiahnielsen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Darth Topher wrote:
mikeyp wrote:-.09, 3.64 to 3.55
good god! :shock:


I got knocked down from a 3.25 to a 2.93

wardy007

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by wardy007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 pm

mikeyp wrote:ok for the record, AP classes dont count towards your LSDAS GPA. they are high school classes, NOT college classes, and are NOT taken for undergraduate credits. Yes schools will award you credit based on their scales, but the grade you receive in that class is not attached to any credits.

UNLESS it was something due to a dual enrollment with a university that you received college credit for while you were in high school.

My English course was dually taken through a local university. the school transferred just the credits and not the grades.. does that mean i'm doomed? (i think i got a C in the class because I know it didn't matter for UG)

User avatar
im_blue

Gold
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by im_blue » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 pm

wardy007 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:ok for the record, AP classes dont count towards your LSDAS GPA. they are high school classes, NOT college classes, and are NOT taken for undergraduate credits. Yes schools will award you credit based on their scales, but the grade you receive in that class is not attached to any credits.

UNLESS it was something due to a dual enrollment with a university that you received college credit for while you were in high school.

My English course was dually taken through a local university. the school transferred just the credits and not the grades.. does that mean i'm doomed? (i think i got a C in the class because I know it didn't matter for UG)
You'll probably have to get that university's transcript sent to LSAC, and they will count the C.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
lalalawya

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by lalalawya » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 pm

isaiahnielsen wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:
mikeyp wrote:-.09, 3.64 to 3.55
good god! :shock:


I got knocked down from a 3.25 to a 2.93
That is insane. :(

User avatar
CSCS Trainer

New
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by CSCS Trainer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Cmart050 wrote:Went from a 3.07 to 2.87. How you like them apples.
I went from 3.20 to 2.8 due to 2 re-take courses. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply

Return to “Law School FAQ”