Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
im_blue

Gold

Re: Should I fear LSAC "dinging" my GPA

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 pm

uncjtd20 wrote:so if you didn't go to a university with a+'s, how do you know if some of your grades will count as an A or A+ wish LSAC?
If your university doesn't give A+, then you don't get any A+.

moggendaz

New

Post by moggendaz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Where can I find my GPA as calculated by LSAC?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:36 pm

moggendaz wrote:Where can I find my GPA as calculated by LSAC?
Go to Transcripts in your LSAC account. Go to Academic Summary Report. Look at the Cumulative GPA near the bottom.

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm

mikeyp wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:
mikeyp wrote:-.09, 3.64 to 3.55
good god! :shock:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....

i actually ran into a teacher i had from hs, had a conversation with him about why i was very unhappy with the way they encouraged people to take those classes in high school instead of AP classes. i'm not going in to my old high school to talk to classes about this situation, because it sure effed me up.
That's where they got me, too. Over a 0.1 drop! My HS scrapped AP and went to a dual-enrollment program (I suspect because it's cheaper for the school, because they can tap into the MN PSEO funds for it). I took the bait because I'd exhausted the math and science options they offered and needed hard classes for my senior transcript to get into university. Next time I go back to talk to students at my HS about college planning, I'm bringing this up for sure.

Does anyone know if other grad/professional schools require disclosure of HS dual enrollment? LSAC GPA is the last damn thing high school juniors are thinking about when they register for their "college" classes.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm

shoop wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
Darth Topher wrote:
good god! :shock:
yeah, not cool! shouldn't have taken those stupid "college" classes in high school....

i actually ran into a teacher i had from hs, had a conversation with him about why i was very unhappy with the way they encouraged people to take those classes in high school instead of AP classes. i'm not going in to my old high school to talk to classes about this situation, because it sure effed me up.
That's where they got me, too. Over a 0.1 drop! My HS scrapped AP and went to a dual-enrollment program (I suspect because it's cheaper for the school, because they can tap into the MN PSEO funds for it). I took the bait because I'd exhausted the math and science options they offered and needed hard classes for my senior transcript to get into university. Next time I go back to talk to students at my HS about college planning, I'm bringing this up for sure.

Does anyone know if other grad/professional schools require disclosure of HS dual enrollment? LSAC GPA is the last damn thing high school juniors are thinking about when they register for their "college" classes.
Med schools also require all college grades, including community college and HS dual enrollment. This especially matters if these are BCPM (bio, chem, physics, or math), because this GPA is calculated separately from the overall GPA, and you have relatively few classes compared to the overall GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm

3.33ugpa -->3.1 lsdas gpa.

My school let me replace D's and F's. Lsdas did not.

1WingedAngel

New

Post by 1WingedAngel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I went down -0.28.

Withdrawals from the time when I didn't know that would count against me. Also, like Nick, my school let me retake classes to make up grades, LSAC did not.

fangonk

New

Post by fangonk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 am

My school only counts grades as A,B,C,D,F. I have never seen the actual grade I have gotten in a class before. I don't even think there is a way to check - is LSAC going to be able to find these out and give me a A- , B-, etc...? How do they get their mitts on these grades, when I don't even have access to them?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 am

fangonk wrote:My school only counts grades as A,B,C,D,F. I have never seen the actual grade I have gotten in a class before. I don't even think there is a way to check - is LSAC going to be able to find these out and give me a A- , B-, etc...? How do they get their mitts on these grades, when I don't even have access to them?
Then your GPA scale is simply A = 4.0, B = 3.0, etc. You can't get +/- if your transcripts don't have them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fangonk

New

Post by fangonk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 am

Beautiful. Is that common? Do other schools report grades this way?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:34 pm

fangonk wrote:Beautiful. Is that common? Do other schools report grades this way?
I don't think that's common, but I do know of some universities and community colleges that report grades this way.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Do not fear the LSAC.
Fear leads to the dark side!

utexas2010

New

Post by utexas2010 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 pm

fangonk wrote:Beautiful. Is that common? Do other schools report grades this way?

Quite uncommon...I know at UT they just switched it this year to the +/- scale and let me tell you...it is horrible haha I got 3 A-'s last semester which killed me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Problem-I took this college course in HS. Before freshmen year of college, I changed it to an Audit (my original grade was a passing one, but still) Now it is an AU on my transcript and there is no grade. My university says that audited classes have no grade. I really do not want LSAC to count this one =(
It says that it does not count these-
Grade symbols that have multiple meanings at the issuing school, and the issuing school's registrar is unable to confirm whether course credit was attempted (such as NC=either No Credit Attempted or No Credit Awarded, etc.). The total number of credits usually assigned to the particular type of course will appear on the applicant's academic summary but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).
itd better not count my audit! I'm glad I made that decision early on

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Mine went up very slightly (3.53 to 3.56), because I had no withdrawals or retakes, and I had 12 credits of CC As from a drafting class I took in high school that got averaged in.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:54 pm

im_blue wrote:
uncjtd20 wrote:so if you didn't go to a university with a+'s, how do you know if some of your grades will count as an A or A+ wish LSAC?
Which is lame. If they actually wanted to be fair, LSAC wouldn't count any A+ as anything higher than 4.00, since some students never had the opportunity to earn anything over 4.00.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 am

I haven't had the pleasure of the LSAC whacking my GPA yet, but I graduated with a 3.008 (got it over 3 on my last quarter!). I did take two classes during a summer, so that maaaay keep me over 3. I hope. And wish.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:15 am

pppokerface wrote:Problem-I took this college course in HS. Before freshmen year of college, I changed it to an Audit (my original grade was a passing one, but still) Now it is an AU on my transcript and there is no grade. My university says that audited classes have no grade. I really do not want LSAC to count this one =(
It says that it does not count these-
Grade symbols that have multiple meanings at the issuing school, and the issuing school's registrar is unable to confirm whether course credit was attempted (such as NC=either No Credit Attempted or No Credit Awarded, etc.). The total number of credits usually assigned to the particular type of course will appear on the applicant's academic summary but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
The original grade for a repeated course when the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.
A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).
itd better not count my audit! I'm glad I made that decision early on
Check this website: http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... public.asp

Go the the bottom, hit the enter button, search your school in the window that pops up, and it should bring up how LSAC treats different notations on your transcript.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:50 pm

No A+s at my school.

3.466 to 3.45 to 3.49
-0.016 ding. But My LSAC GPA includes 11 credits of A/A- I've taken in precollege programs and in CC so a +.04 bump. So a net .024 bump.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Guessing you have a lot of X-?

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Which is lame. If they actually wanted to be fair, LSAC wouldn't count any A+ as anything higher than 4.00, since some students never had the opportunity to earn anything over 4.00.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:58 pm

You don't need to "fear" it.

You can calculate it.

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 am

Went from a 3.07 to 2.87. How you like them apples.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am

WIdan wrote:I don't know if you should fear it, but I got dinged .02. Unfortunately, that .02 dropped me from 3.61 to 3.59.
That sucks. I went from a 3.59 to a 3.61. I don't know why.... apparently it is because they borrowed .02 from you :mrgreen:

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 am

Does .02 matter all that much though, unless it sends you over a school's 25, median or 75? Or some kind of threshold number, like a 3.0 or 3.5?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”