law student attire Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fourttier

New

Re: law student attire

Post by Fourttier » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 pm

lishi wrote:
Fourttier wrote: Maybe the time not spent ironing shirts was spent on studying. But people said that he would stop screwing off and study on a regular basis when away from the law school. He sure did not act like someone who would graduate 8 in class.
No one said you have to iron your shirts to not look like a slob. If you can't wake up and have enough time to grab a clean t-shirt out of your drawer and take a quick shower because you are afraid of losing those 10 minutes of study time, I think you have problem. And I'm sure those 10 minutes can be made up at some other time of the day.

I'm not talking about always wearing khaki's and a button down, or wearing a "power suit" or anything. All I'm saying is make sure your clean, have clean clothes (and underwear just because that's good hygiene), and brush your teeth. I don't see how that would be very detrimental to your study time.
You ask too much from people like him. He wouldn't even tuck in his shirt most of the time. People joked that he must have worn a suit to the interview...but no one was sure if he had a suit. He never dressed up for class.
:D :D

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Fourttier wrote:
NeedAllTheHelpICanGet wrote:
lukertin wrote:
Living in America wrote:During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.
I'm going to wear a 3-piece suit everyday for class.

You're a tool.
Everyone knows the 2-piece is what you wear to LS!
I prefer shorts and sunglasses. :wink:

Hey, there is such a thing as short slacks to go along with your jacket -- a two piece, short suit! And you can sport shades and socks w/ sandals. I'm planning to wear a red bow-tie with my ensemble.

Fourttier

New

Post by Fourttier » Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm

lukertin wrote:
Living in America wrote:During my law school visits, I noticed that many people dressed a lot better for class than I would have expected. I don't think you will be labeled a "tool" if you dress well for class, as long as it isn't over the top.
I'm going to wear a 3-piece suit everyday for class.

I prefer shorts and sunglasses. :wink:

Hey, there is such a thing as short slacks to go along with your jacket -- a two piece, short suit! And you can sport shades and socks w/ sandals. I'm planning to wear a red bow-tie with my ensemble.[/quote]

Hey, you're welcome at my school.

Leonidas

New

Post by Leonidas » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

sandles, warmups, an ed hardy T, and aviators

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 am

anything but a bowtie :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mittens

New

Post by mittens » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 am

Wear a top hat, especially on the first day.

Hachi

New

Post by Hachi » Wed May 14, 2008 3:45 am

As someone who spent the last 2 years going to work in a suit, I honestly feel more comfortable wearing that than wearing 'semi casual' dress attire.

I don't care who you are. If you wear a button up shirt (or polo) + khaki's you look like a douche. That's what teenage salesmen dress like at the mall. Do you want to dress like a teenage salesman? God I hope not.

If you must go with a button up shirt, it should be untucked or tucked into jeans. W/ a tie it needs to be tucked. No tie it can be untucked. If you really want to wear khakis they better not be lighter than your shirt. Seriously.

On a side note. What the **** is with mens clothes in the US. They're all made for fat people and it sucks. I shouldn't have to go to another country or buy designer clothes (or worse, have shit tailored) to get something that fits. Damn fatties.

Unstoppable

New

Post by Unstoppable » Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 am

awaitingmailman wrote:i can't imagine anyone would go to class smelly...
Well, some wrestlers intentionally avoid showering or using deodorant prior to competing, the idea being that their stink might distract their opponent and give them a small competitive advantage. Perhaps a shameless gunner might be willing to try to distract his classmates and affect the curve with a similar technique? :?

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 4:18 am

zeezoo wrote:anything but a bowtie :)
Tool.

edit: (Uhm, you know I'm kidding, right?)
Last edited by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet on Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 4:19 am

mittens wrote:Wear a top hat, especially on the first day.

You can't wear a top hat with the sock/sandle combination. It's unseemly. Tool.

NeedAllTheHelpICanGet

New

Post by NeedAllTheHelpICanGet » Wed May 14, 2008 4:23 am

Hachi wrote:As someone who spent the last 2 years going to work in a suit, I honestly feel more comfortable wearing that than wearing 'semi casual' dress attire.

I don't care who you are. If you wear a button up shirt (or polo) + khaki's you look like a douche. That's what teenage salesmen dress like at the mall. Do you want to dress like a teenage salesman? God I hope not.

If you must go with a button up shirt, it should be untucked or tucked into jeans. W/ a tie it needs to be tucked. No tie it can be untucked. If you really want to wear khakis they better not be lighter than your shirt. Seriously.

On a side note. What the **** is with mens clothes in the US. They're all made for fat people and it sucks. I shouldn't have to go to another country or buy designer clothes (or worse, have shit tailored) to get something that fits. Damn fatties.
Are you Nihon-jin? Or you just like sporting the Nihon-go on your avatar? Is that where you get your clothes that fit? Cause I hear you! Damn fatties. When I was younger, I was almost a large (Maybe I wore my shirts a little baggier than I do now). Then I was a medium. Now, I'm a freakin' small -- and I've actually gotten fatter all this time. I guess I just haven't gotten as fat at the same rate as the rest of the f'n fattie nation. I love Asia, though, where I can actually buy clothes off the rack and they're not way too long or way too baggy but actually fit my body--the body of an average humanoid!!

Well, at least bowties come in one size fits all. It's just too bad that because of my short legs and lack of fattie-fat, the white socks I'll be wearing with my flip-flops on the first day of class will reach all the way up to my thighs...

Hachi

New

Post by Hachi » Wed May 14, 2008 4:40 am

Are you Nihon-jin? Or you just like sporting the Nihon-go on your avatar? Is that where you get your clothes that fit? Cause I hear you! Damn fatties. When I was younger, I was almost a large (Maybe I wore my shirts a little baggier than I do now). Then I was a medium. Now, I'm a freakin' small -- and I've actually gotten fatter all this time. I guess I just haven't gotten as fat at the same rate as the rest of the f'n fattie nation. I love Asia, though, where I can actually buy clothes off the rack and they're not way too long or way too baggy but actually fit my body--the body of an average humanoid!!

Well, at least bowties come in one size fits all. It's just too bad that because of my short legs and lack of fattie-fat, the white socks I'll be wearing with my flip-flops on the first day of class will reach all the way up to my thighs...
Nope, Gaijin. But Japanese clothing all fits better than anything I've ever bought in the US. Suits fit better, Jeans fit better, t-shirts fit better, underwear fits better. Everything I bought in japan fit better than anything I've ever bought in the states.

I'm too tall though, so ties were all too short. Sm/Kids sizes here dont fit me because they're generally too short / small, Med dont fit because they seem designed for someone who has a waist that is about 5-7 inches bigger than mine.

I think this brings me to the biggest point of fashion people should consider for law school or formal interviews. Choose clothes that fit.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Wed May 14, 2008 8:49 am

Hachi wrote:As someone who spent the last 2 years going to work in a suit, I honestly feel more comfortable wearing that than wearing 'semi casual' dress attire.

Yes!

And you know what the worst look is? A shirt and tie with khakis and no jacket or sweater.

Makes you look like you're at your high school sports team's year-end banquet to receive your letter for the season.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cup

New

Post by cup » Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 am

Hachi wrote:If you wear a button up shirt (or polo) + khaki's you look like a douche.

According to Hachi gospel I am a sinner douche. I'll even go further, I sometimes where running shoes w/ khakis. I am from the south, seems pretty common. :)

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed May 14, 2008 9:22 am

aschup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.
FALSE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashi ... ref=slogin

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

This look screams "I read that this look was popular in a magazine and I don't think for myself". Jeans + tie on a law student = slightly less annoying than hipsters trying to be ironic by wearing ties.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Wed May 14, 2008 9:37 am

--ImageRemoved--

Here's a picture of me and one of my buddies hanging out. I'm the one on the right.

Think this look will work?

Nike6075

New

Post by Nike6075 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:54 am

You're a fucking idiot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KidA23

New

Post by KidA23 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:57 am

I definitely agree about the men's clothing stores having sizes that are wayyyyy too big. What constitutes a 'medium' keeps spiraling larger and larger to the point where I have to go to a designer brand just to get something that doesn't hang on me like a dress (I'm like 5'9, 150).

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 am

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Wed May 14, 2008 10:29 am

KidA23 wrote:I definitely agree about the men's clothing stores having sizes that are wayyyyy too big. What constitutes a 'medium' keeps spiraling larger and larger to the point where I have to go to a designer brand just to get something that doesn't hang on me like a dress (I'm like 5'9, 150).
This is pretty interesting. As a woman, I find the sizes in the stores keep shrinking. Maybe I'll start wearing men's clothes.

KidA23

New

Post by KidA23 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 am

valrp wrote:
KidA23 wrote:I definitely agree about the men's clothing stores having sizes that are wayyyyy too big. What constitutes a 'medium' keeps spiraling larger and larger to the point where I have to go to a designer brand just to get something that doesn't hang on me like a dress (I'm like 5'9, 150).
This is pretty interesting. As a woman, I find the sizes in the stores keep shrinking. Maybe I'll start wearing men's clothes.
Most of it is artificial just to squeeze more money out of men who want their shirts to actually fit them. By 'loosening' the sizes of traditional shirts (whether casual shirts sized M or L, or dress shirts that might be 15 / 32-33 or whatever), brands can charge a premium for the same shirt but tailored slightly closer to the torso. Then they give them names like Fitted, Premium, Urban Fit, Close Fit, etc etc and charge like 25% more than what the 'regular' shirt costs. It's a racket.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 am

I'm going to wear black and white golf shoes with my polo and khakis combo. I might also carry a putter to class and use it as a cane. That way other students will be intimidated by my leisurely approach to law school.

Seriously, wear whatever you want. It's been said 20 times on this thread, but I'll say it again. People can tell what's "your style" and when you're faking it. If its your style, you'll look nice (but seriously don't rock a suit and tie everyday.) If you're just trying to "look" professional, you're going to look like a three year old who broke into daddy's closet and stole his wardrobe.

Sorry ladies, I don't even know what women's formal fashion looks like. Wear whatever you want.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 am

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 am

bocifious wrote:
aschup wrote:
thedogship wrote:It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.

Seriously though, anyone else a big fan of the tie + jeans look? If someone asked me, "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" my answer would be "Yes, I had a good reason. Because it's baller. Now leave me be, peasant."

It is absolutely fine to dress up if you look like the models in that NYT article or on the pages of GQ. Sadly this doesn't describe most law students :(

for the record I like the shirt + tie + jeans look, but I don't think I can really pull it off so I don't try.
Ditto- I'm too much of a fatty. There was a guy at Minnesota ASW who wasn't wearing a suit or tie but seemed somewhat dressed up in slacks and a stylish dress shirt and a very nice wool overcoat (I was totally jealous of his coat) who could pull off that look. I remember thinking how effortlessly stylish he seemed. Then he says something to the person sitting next to him, and you know what? Australian accent! Hell, if that guy ends up at Minnesota I am pretty certain no other men will be getting laid there for the next three years.

bocifious

New

Post by bocifious » Wed May 14, 2008 11:35 am

thedogship wrote:
aschup wrote:

[imtoobigg]http://mensvogue.typepad.com/photos/unc ... ies6_3.jpg[/img]
This look screams "I read that this look was popular in a magazine and I don't think for myself". Jeans + tie on a law student = slightly less annoying than hipsters trying to be ironic by wearing ties.
:roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”