law student attire Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
logicianwannabe

New

law student attire

Post by logicianwannabe » Tue May 13, 2008 10:32 am

My dad is bugging me like crazy about this in emails--that if I want to succeed in the legal profession, I have to seriously improve the way I dress. Granted, how you dress definitely affects others' perceptions of the kind of person you are. But typically, I wear dark button down shirts with semi-formal pants, always tucked in and with a belt, black socks, leather shoes, currently I'm wearing a black leather jacket. All my clothes are in good condition, an I don't think I have any problem with putting things together that flagrantly don't match. Perhaps I could iron more often, but that is all. . . I don't really see any flaws in my dress--perhaps it's not highly elegant/fashionable, but is that really necessary? Certainly if I dressed any more formally for class, I would get the "tool" label, and if I dressed more "fashionably" I would have to take out more loans.

What are opinions on this matter?

wardboro

Bronze

Re: law student attire

Post by wardboro » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 am

Except on interview days (or other special occasions) I expect to be rocking jeans and a T shirt for most of my law school experience.

On interview day, I'll be in a suit and tie with polished shoes and an ironed shirt.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 am

Steamer >>> Iron.

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Tue May 13, 2008 10:47 am

I don't know why anyone would 'dress up' for class. I'll be sporting the mesh shorts as far into winter as possible.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Tue May 13, 2008 10:58 am

jgarr wrote:I don't know why anyone would 'dress up' for class. I'll be sporting the mesh shorts as far into winter as possible.
My dad thinks it's necessary to show everyone that you're sharp, motivated, and organized by dressing fashionably and neatly in semi-formal dress every day. He contends that this will be the impression you want your classmates and professors to remember about you, and that this impression would be absolutely essential later on, since they might serve as references in future jobs. It seems to me that dressing in this way would instead tell people that you're a conservative, sheltered, uptight, awkward gunner that they should avoid dealing with at all costs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kritiosboy

New

Post by kritiosboy » Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 am

delete
Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am

stop worrying about what your daddy thinks, unless he is paying for your law school, in which case wear whatever he goddamn wants.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am

logicianwannabe wrote:
jgarr wrote:I don't know why anyone would 'dress up' for class. I'll be sporting the mesh shorts as far into winter as possible.
My dad thinks it's necessary to show everyone that you're sharp, motivated, and organized by dressing fashionably and neatly in semi-formal dress every day. He contends that this will be the impression you want your classmates and professors to remember about you, and that this impression would be absolutely essential later on, since they might serve as references in future jobs. It seems to me that dressing in this way would instead tell people that you're a conservative, sheltered, uptight, awkward gunner that they should avoid dealing with at all costs.
That's an interesting philosophy. FWIW I don't think it will matter much to professors and peers, but to the degree that it does, it seems to me that fitting in would be more desirable than over dressing to the point that people remember you as "that guy".

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:14 am

Yes. "That guy" is the wrong guy. Now, when it might be construed as appropriate to dress formally, then look like a million bucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 am

logicianwannabe wrote:

Your dad is wrong. You are right. Unless it is an interview day, important meeting, etc... do not overdress for class. No one cares. Unless that's your natural dress style, don't be "that" person who is trying to impress everyone else. 1. it won't work, and 2. it will have the opposite effect. There is a kid in my class who did this fairly often, that is, coming to class in ties and sometimes suits. People asked him why he had interviews all the time. He said he didn't, he just liked looking sharp for class, and wanted to convey a professional appearance. People stared at him blankly. Trust me, wearing a tie in class is not going to prove to anyone, teacher or fellow student, that you are bright. The intelligent observations you make in class and the grades you get on your exams speak louder and much more effectively to that point than any designer belt or shined shoe ever could. There is another kid in my class who overdresses on a daily basis. When he is called on, he often flubs the answer. No one in the class thinks he is smart, despite his well-ironed slacks. This is one arena where the clothes don't make the man. There are way too many uptight, rigid, and socially awkward people in law school as it is. Don't be one of those people. Be normal. This is probably the last chance in your life you get to dress normally on a regular basis. Don't ruin it for yourself because your dad has an antiquated vision of what law professors care about.

AntOplex

New

Post by AntOplex » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am

I don't know about law school specific, but it seems like it'd be a good call to sport a collared/polo shirt at least. I feel it shows that you respect yourself, your peers, and your professor.

JusAbstinendi

New

Post by JusAbstinendi » Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 am

Don't be one of those people. Be normal.
Can I buy some of what you're peddlin'? Seems pretty great.

I plan on wearing the occasional tie to class. I just hope people consider me normal! :roll:

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 am

Seriously? Jeans and a t-shirt for class. School is just not formal.

How you dress is going to have much of an impact on how your profs and classmates perceive you (unless you're wearing a tie and jacket every day, then you're going to be "that guy.")

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am

For those of you who haven't had to wake up nearly everyday and wear a suit and tie, it gets old really fast. I would enjoy your last few years of being able to dress comfortably. Once you enter the suit and tie world, the only real variety you have is your tie. And maybe your shoes. And maybe a light colored suit you wear on Fridays.

Seriously, don't be in a hurry to look like a professional, it pretty much sucks to dress nice every day.

The kids with collared button up shirts stood out like at admitted student events. Not in a good way.
Last edited by wardboro on Tue May 13, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

abbygal0330

New

Post by abbygal0330 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:21 am

I plan to wear jeans/ khaki's with polo's/button-downs. Probably dress business casual for most classes-- the reason being that I've been working for two years now, and thats what my wardrobe is... if i had been in school until now, i would be wearing sweats and t-shirts.

You should wear whatever will make you feel most comfortable while you are busting your ass to get good grades.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 am

For those of you who haven't had to wake up nearly everyday and wear a suit and tie, it gets old really fast. I would enjoy your last few years of being able to dress comfortably. Once you enter the suit and tie world, the only real variety you have is your tie. And maybe your shoes. And maybe a light colored suit you wear on Fridays.

Seriously, don't be in a hurry to look like a professional, it pretty much sucks to dress nice every day.

The kids with collared button up shirts stood out like at admitted student events. Not in a good way.
Damn skippy. This is particularly true when your coworkers don't know how to dress, as it becomes impossible to care about dressing sharply in such an environment. The worst thing is when you have to wear a suit and don't care what it looks like.

dude

New

Post by dude » Tue May 13, 2008 11:32 am

You are about to enter your grad studies at a great prof school, and your dad should concentrate on dressing himself...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

JusAbstinendi wrote:
Don't be one of those people. Be normal.
Can I buy some of what you're peddlin'? Seems pretty great.

I plan on wearing the occasional tie to class. I just hope people consider me normal! :roll:
Laugh all you want now, but you won't be laughing when some 3L stuffs you in a locker and takes your lunch money. It's a jungle out there.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:38 am

Laugh all you want now, but you won't be laughing when some 3L stuffs you in a locker and takes your lunch money. It's a jungle out there.
At UCLA, they have some of the lockers in the bathroom. So you could very easily get a swirlie and get stuffed in a locker. By me.

KidA23

New

Post by KidA23 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:39 am

ari20dal7 wrote:
At UCLA, they have some of the lockers in the bathroom. So you could very easily get a swirlie and get stuffed in a locker. By me.
Titty twister FTL

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Tue May 13, 2008 11:39 am

If your dad is going to buy these clothes for you, by all means accept them. Wear when appropriate; it doesn't hurt to have the option. I don't think your clothes will matter unless you stand out in a bad way (dirty, too revealing, etc). Present yourself the way you want to be seen.

Personally, I think 99% of guys look dumb in khakis and button-down shirts and I giggle inside whenever I see a room full of them, but that's just my opinion. You can't please everyone.
Last edited by brillig on Tue May 13, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lazyewok

New

Post by lazyewok » Tue May 13, 2008 11:42 am

ari20dal7 wrote:
O..M..G! Are you serious?! ::wets pants::

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 am

lazyewok wrote:
ari20dal7 wrote:
O..M..G! Are you serious?! ::wets pants::
It's true - and all the pathetic intentional battery, trespass to chattels, and conversion claims you make subsequently will fall on deaf ears as people's first question will be "Did you or did you not have a good reason to wear that tie today?" Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.

toast

New

Post by toast » Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 am

lazyewok wrote:Rule 1: Prateck ya neck.
Law schools is hood. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion here of law student-on-law student violence. (Stop snitching.)

Eriro

New

Post by Eriro » Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 pm

brillig wrote:If your dad is going to buy these clothes for you, by all means accept them. Wear when appropriate; it doesn't hurt to have the option. I don't think your clothes will matter unless you stand out in a bad way (dirty, too revealing, etc). Present yourself the way you want to be seen.

Personally, I think 99% of guys look dumb in khakis and button-down shirts and I giggle inside whenever I see a room full of them, but that's just my opinion. You can't please everyone.
TITCR.

but seriously, do what works for you. I'm in a grad program right now, and I come in either in sweatpants or jeans. one of my friends "dresses up" almost every day in very fashionable little outfits b/c she says it helps her stay focused and motivated. given the opportunity, I work best when I'm comfortable. thus, whatever gets the job done, I guess.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”