International Student (Questions About Studying Law At The USA) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FacuGAA

New

International Student (Questions About Studying Law At The USA)

Post by FacuGAA » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a student from Argentina, hoping to study Law at the USA. Although I've been doing some research, I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how law school works in the United States, and I wanted to ask a few questions to anyone who can answer them, to guide me.

1) What major should I study before applying to a Law School? Should I study the major in my country, or should I apply to a University in the USA and study it there?
2) I have a 9,6/10 average or 96% from High School, does that mean my GPA is a 4.0 Unweighted? If so, is this enough to apply at a University/Law School, in addition to the SAT and LSAT?
3) Do Law Schools offer financial aid or scholarships for international students? (It would be impossible for me to pay one) If so, could you recommend me some of them?
4) As an International Student (Having studied at the USA), can I sit for the Bar Exam and practice law if I pass?
5) My intention is to reside in the United States and make my life there once I complete my studies. When I graduate from Law School, am I somehow guaranteed Visas, Green Cards, or documents to be able to stay?
6) Last but not least, I still have a long way to go, what advice could you give me and what things to avoid doing to make it easier for me to reach my goal?

Thank you very much for reading, any response is appreciated, and additional comments or advice are welcome!

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: International Student (Questions About Studying Law At The USA)

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:10 am

FacuGAA wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:28 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm a student from Argentina, hoping to study Law at the USA. Although I've been doing some research, I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how law school works in the United States, and I wanted to ask a few questions to anyone who can answer them, to guide me.

1) What major should I study before applying to a Law School? Should I study the major in my country, or should I apply to a University in the USA and study it there?
2) I have a 9,6/10 average or 96% from High School, does that mean my GPA is a 4.0 Unweighted? If so, is this enough to apply at a University/Law School, in addition to the SAT and LSAT?
3) Do Law Schools offer financial aid or scholarships for international students? (It would be impossible for me to pay one) If so, could you recommend me some of them?
4) As an International Student (Having studied at the USA), can I sit for the Bar Exam and practice law if I pass?
5) My intention is to reside in the United States and make my life there once I complete my studies. When I graduate from Law School, am I somehow guaranteed Visas, Green Cards, or documents to be able to stay?
6) Last but not least, I still have a long way to go, what advice could you give me and what things to avoid doing to make it easier for me to reach my goal?

Thank you very much for reading, any response is appreciated, and additional comments or advice are welcome!
First,you are too young. Go shadow some attorneys and see if it is even something you're interested in.
To answer your questinos:
1) No major matters. Do one you find interesting and that you'll get the highest marks in.
2) In the UNited States, unlike in Britain for example, Law school is a graduate degree; so you'll be doing an undergraduate degree first, then go onto law school. Your GPA seems fine for a university in the US. I believe you'll need to take the ACT or SAT as well, but I could be wrong.
3) Most law schools offer scholarship money for folks with high test scores on the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) and who have high GPAs. Say you have a 160 on the LSAT and a 3.5 GPA in undergrad, you'll most likely get into University of Memphis with a full scholarship (i.e. it'll be free!), you'd likely get into University of Mississippi and you'd get a small scholarship (i.e. maybe half off), and you'd likely get into University of TEnnessee, but you would receive no scholarship aid.
4) If you go to law school in the United States and earn a JD (Juris Doctor) you may sit for the Bar exam.
5) No. You'll need to either: get a job that will grant you a visa (usually big companies will do this) or marry a US citizen. There are other paths after being a student and remaining in the US for a certain period of time, but it is difficult and takes quite a bit longer. I suggest you talk to an immigration attorney.
6) I'd really think about whether you actually want to live in the US and whether you really want to be a lawyer. Go visit a few more times, and watch attorneys work (i.e. not movies). Most attorneys sit at a computer all day making edits. I'm not saying you don't get to think and interact with folks, but just know, we are not in court everyday unless we are practicing criminal law- and even those people aren't doing trials every day (they do a lot of hearings though). I'd also refrain from going to law school unless it is a top ranked school (i.e. around top 15 or so), as that is the surest path towards "Big Law" (effectively, a big firm that will pay you top dollar and get you a visa to stay in the USA).
Best of luck.

FacuGAA

New

Post by FacuGAA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am

Thank you so much for helping me! I will think about it as you said.

KashMcmillan

New

Post by KashMcmillan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:16 am

Thanks for the useful information, it was quite difficult to find.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”