ASU? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
RedThunder17

New

ASU?

Post by RedThunder17 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:48 am

I am seriously considering attending Arizona State University and had a few questions for those who attend.

1)What is the culture like? (I.e. are students competitive or collaborative? Do materials go missing?)

2) How helpful is Career Services?

3) I would like to clerk and work for the government upon graduation (aiming for U.S. Attorney at some point). Do you think ASU would help me on this path, or should I aim for a higher ranked school?

Thanks!

nixy

Gold

Re: ASU?

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:46 am

ASU is a perfectly respectable regional school (and materials going missing is pretty much a myth, especially now when everything’s electronic), but yes, you should aim for a higher-ranked school. To be clear, it’s possible to do what you describe from ASU, but higher ranked schools will give you a much more reliable shot at doing so.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 am

Nixy already explained the reach of ASU, I'll try and talk about ASU- one of my best friends graduated from there a couple years ago.
1)What is the culture like? (I.e. are students competitive or collaborative? Do materials go missing?)
He said it was a fantastic culture. Students are not terribly competitive and really nice. Apparently, the school is in a great part of town (idk if it is in Tempe or Downtown though) and the building is gorgeous and lots of govt/firm stuff nearby.

He said not very. He was telling me a lot of folks who go to ASU are from out of state (quite a few from Cali & and a decent chunk of IL and TX) and struggle going back to Cali/Chitown/Texas. ASU is a fantastic school in an economically strong state, but it really dominates the PHX market and that's about it; albeit, the PHX market is huge. It can place all over the state (just as U of A can, and in state, they are apparently viewed as peer schools).

3) I would like to clerk and work for the government upon graduation (aiming for U.S. Attorney at some point). Do you think ASU would help me on this path, or should I aim for a higher ranked school?
Both of these are viable options coming from ASU. I'm not too sure how many folks become AUSA, but I'm sure some do (don't bet your hat on this career though). My friend is an ADA now; he had no trouble getting the job. ASU places plenty of grads into state govt and state clerkship gigs. They don't place a ton into fed clerkships though (I'm sure they could do as well as any T1 regional school though on that front).
It's a great school for Arizona and if you can get it for a good price a fantastic outcome.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am

RedThunder17 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:48 am
I am seriously considering attending Arizona State University and had a few questions for those who attend.

Thanks!
What are your other options ?

LSAT score ? Undergraduate GPA ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:57 am

Re: career services - I think there’s only so much they can do. At a regional school, the CSO’s connections are going to be local, most students will stay local, and it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. Frankly, I would advise out of state students who want to go back their home states not to go ASU expecting to 1) return home or 2) get much help returning home, especially to California, Texas, or Illinois, which all have lots of in-state law schools. (I do know some people from, like, Montana and Wyoming and Idaho who succeeded going out of state for school - even not a T14 - and returning home, but when your home state only has one law school it’s less notable to leave than if it has plenty.) Go to ASU to work in Arizona.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”