tattoos Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
theocrowley

New

tattoos

Post by theocrowley » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 am

hi all - quick question

would a blackout tattoo from the hand up to the elbow be a risk when it comes to interviews / being hired as a lawyer ? what about in law school ? would it affect my chances there when it comes to respect or being treated equally ? I've been trying hard to research about it but alas haven't found much on the topic of blackout tattoos , only easily hideable ones .

cavalier1138

Re: tattoos

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:03 am

Most law schools don't see you in person before admitting you, so it shouldn't pose an issue there.

But for hiring and/or any schools that do interview candidates, yes, it will be an issue. Your best bet is to wear long-sleeved shirts, assuming that when you said "hand," you meant "wrist." But if this thing goes far enough down that it can be seen even when wearing long sleeves, you'll need to invest in some of the specialized makeup that is used to cover tattoos. I believe that stuff is good enough to cover blackouts.

As for whether it will affect the respect you receive from others in a relatively conservative professional field: You already know the answer to that. I find it hard to believe that anyone would get something as dramatic as a blackout tattoo in such a prominent spot if they weren't committed to a life/career where they wouldn't have to deal with the stigma associated with similar tattoos. Most artists won't even do hand/face tattoos for clients who indicate a desire to work in a professional field.

Plenty of lawyers have tattoos, myself included. But most of them were smart enough to keep their ink in the t-shirt/shorts zone of the body. So for future readers of this thread thinking of getting one: (1) keep them in places you won't be showing at work and (2) get aesthetically pleasing pieces.

CovidLurker

New

Post by CovidLurker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm at NYC V10 with multiple, visible tattoos. Never been an issue, but they are covered with sleeves most of the time. Can't say this will hold true everywhere, but I've seen multiple attorneys in our office with visible tattoos (they all can be covered quite easily if needed, and most ppl including myself do so when meeting with clients/large firm meetings).

Honestly, my thought on this is that 1/3 of Americans have tattoos and that percentage is even higher in our age group (assuming you're 25-35 years old). As long as your tattoos aren't offensive/questionable, if someone is judging you for them - that's on them.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm

CovidLurker wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm
As long as your tattoos aren't offensive/questionable, if someone is judging you for them - that's on them.
I should mention that because I'm an insufferable snob, I absolutely would consider a massive blackout tattoo to be a questionable decision (not the same as a blackout background for an actual piece).

And I definitely agree with the sentiment above. But unfortunately, the judgment of others can keep you out of a number of opportunities, especially in the law. Yes, tattoos are going through another cycle of being mainstream, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't exercise judgment regarding what you get and where you get it. If you have tattoos on your hands, that's a decision you made knowing the impact it could have on your future job prospects in certain fields.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 pm

I don't think you two are really disagreeing - CovidLurker has already said they're talking about tattoos that can be easily covered. I think tattoos that can't be covered are still an issue, not because of employers' own disapproval (or not just because of that), but employers' concern about how judges/juries/clients will react. And while I fully admit I kinda live in the sticks, I've never seen a blackout tattoo in person and it would read as fairly extreme here. I wouldn't really worry about disapproval of something that can be covered, but I think something that can't would be an issue for lots of legal employers. (Not all, but lots.)

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm

I have tattoos up my arms that can be covered in a suit and one on my hand that cannot. I have gotten offers from OCI (big law firms) and am currently in a position where they asked about them during my interview. I don't apologize for them and there have been plenty of people that are okay with that (in law school and in my career). With that being said, I am sure there are people that are not okay with it. While no one has said anything, I'm sure there could be jobs I might have received an offer for without the tattoos. Ultimately, I made my decision when I got one. In my opinion, you have to cater to the people that won't like them, which is unfortunate. But it's not like a tattoo is going to be a complete bar to practicing law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”