Can I do a JD/MPH and have a different concentration? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kcemery

New

Can I do a JD/MPH and have a different concentration?

Post by kcemery » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:07 am

I am going to apply to BU's JD/MPH program and was wondering if it was also possible to concentrate my law studies in Public Interest? I don't want to do medical malpractice law or insurance fraud or anything like that, I want to work more in the healthcare reform sector and affect legislature, working at an organization like PRRAC for civil rights and healthcare disparities. Is there anything I may be doing incorrectly or anything I should know that would make my life easier (except dual degree is not an option bc I really am set on that part) or am I on the right path?

Essentially asking if it is possible to concentrate in a sector separate from the dual degree program?

Thank you so much :)

cavalier1138

Re: Can I do a JD/MPH and have a different concentration?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:55 am

kcemery wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:07 am
Is there anything I may be doing incorrectly or anything I should know that would make my life easier (except dual degree is not an option bc I really am set on that part) or am I on the right path?
Well, you're kind of tying everyone's hands here. The correct answer is that if you want to work in policy, there is no need for you to have a JD, and the dual degree is a bad option.

But no, there's no such thing as a public interest "focus" for the JD. You can take classes and clinics that are geared towards public interest work in the sector(s) you want to target, but there's no such thing as a concentration in JD programs. You would also be doing legal work in those fields, which doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”