JD/MBA Boost Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Eggs

New

JD/MBA Boost

Post by Eggs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm

This random thought popped into my head. Many law schools offer a joint JD/MBA (or whatever other masters you tack onto it). Would the people taking these programs not have an advantage GPA wise versus the normal law students? You are taking business classes in place of law school ones not? And those classes wouldn't be subject to the curve like the law classes. Maybe I don't understand the program well enough, but it seems like those students would have an easier time having a higher GPA.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: JD/MBA Boost

Post by BrainsyK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Employers just crunch the math with only the law courses.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: JD/MBA Boost

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 am

For the most part, it won't really matter. When you go into OCI at the beginning of 2L, you won't have taken any MBA classes yet. If you're looking for experiences outside OCI but after you have MBA grades, it's probably an advantage, as I doubt most employers will separate the grades and recalculate if they show up on your law school transcript. That all being said, a JD-MBA has very little utility outside of Northwestern and Penn's 3yr programs, which carry a lot of b-school prestige and don't require an extra year of schooling; outside of those two programs, I would not pursue a JD-MBA.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”