Correcting the wrong thing done Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
skan101298

New

Correcting the wrong thing done

Post by skan101298 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 am

Hi
My significant other put one inaccurate work experience in their law school application last year which lasted for long - over one year. It was like they were working on their own but it was not working out for them, made no money, hardly got any customers so they stopped it. They took another job to earn later but for this one year period when they were trying they showed it as full time employment and put it down in their law school application. Ideally i think it should have been shown as a gap in their resume. They felt bad and it was clearly wrong so they ended up not going to law school that year. They do not have any excuses for this. They want to remove it from their future apps and reapply with accurate information in a way so that they do not face character and fitness issues with the bar. My partner is feeling really bad and anxious and I found this forum and thought maybe I could seek some advice here.

QContinuum

Re: Correcting the wrong thing done

Post by QContinuum » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 am

skan101298 wrote:Hi
My significant other put one inaccurate work experience in their law school application last year which lasted for long - over one year. It was like they were working on their own but it was not working out for them, made no money, hardly got any customers so they stopped it. They took another job to earn later but for this one year period when they were trying they showed it as full time employment and put it down in their law school application. Ideally i think it should have been shown as a gap in their resume. They felt bad and it was clearly wrong so they ended up not going to law school that year. They do not have any excuses for this. They want to remove it from their future apps and reapply with accurate information in a way so that they do not face character and fitness issues with the bar. My partner is feeling really bad and anxious and I found this forum and thought maybe I could seek some advice here.
It sounds like your SO was self-employed during the year in question ("they were working on their own [but] made no money, hardly got any customers ... for this one year period when they were trying"). If so, I don't think there would be any ethical issue with listing it as such. The fact that your SO wasn't very successful doesn't mean they weren't self-employed. (Of course, it'd be wrong if your SO made up a fake employer to put on their resume, or misstated their financial success while self-employed.)

Even if your SO lied on their resume, the solution now is simple: Use an accurate resume when (re)applying this cycle.

skan101298

New

Post by skan101298 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

Thank you for your response. My partner is worried that the bar may compare the two applications which will put them into trouble. Or the law school may compare and reject them. They tried to make the job work but after a 3-4 months they stopped trying. They were very upset and basically did not do anything for about 8 months but showed that they were still doing the self employed job on the app.
Does the bar compare the resume sent to the school in the past or does it only look at the resume for the year on the basis of which the applicant enrolled?
I was suggesting to them that they may send an email to the school they are reapplying to maybe and say the last application had some inaccuracies in the work experience and this one has them addressed. But I do not know much, I however keep hearing them say 'character and fitness' again and again in conversations. They sort of lied, regret it and want to fix it. I try to make them understand that the fact they withdrew their application in regret is enough to make up for their mistake.
They say that the schools to which they reapply will not take them and may be the only option is to apply to fresh schools with everything accurate.

dknightisyoung

New

Post by dknightisyoung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 am

Don't send anything. Your SO didn't seem to lie. You can explain that your SO didn't think the employment was significant enough to be included on her resume if asked, but I doubt the bar would compare resumes. Typos and things get left off all the time

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”