What To Do - Integrity Issue But Not Shown on Transcript Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jade88

New

What To Do - Integrity Issue But Not Shown on Transcript

Post by Jade88 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Backgraound Info: I was caught plagiarizing during my undergrad. I knew it was definitly wrong and have learned my lesson. There is no disciplinary action shown on my transcript (never being suspended), though I got a "0" for that course (no indication the "0" related to plagiarism). However, I received a letter of reprimand from my undergrad school.

Besides reporting this issue myself, is there any way the law school can figure out the story behind the "0" grade?

spqr351

New

Re: What To Do - Integrity Issue But Not Shown on Transcript

Post by spqr351 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Jade88 wrote: Besides reporting this issue myself, is there any way the law school can figure out the story behind the "0" grade?
I'm not sure why it matters how else they could find out when you are going to be completely upfront with them about the issue. Unless you want to try not to disclose, in which case you will find absolutely no support on this forum or in real life when you are not able to sit for the bar due to lying on your application (that is how serious the repercussions are).

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Jade88 wrote:Backgraound Info: I was caught plagiarizing during my undergrad. I knew it was definitly wrong and have learned my lesson. There is no disciplinary action shown on my transcript (never being suspended), though I got a "0" for that course (no indication the "0" related to plagiarism). However, I received a letter of reprimand from my undergrad school.

Besides reporting this issue myself, is there any way the law school can figure out the story behind the "0" grade?
I think law schools will know something is fishy when they see that you got a 0 for a course.....I think admitting that you plagiarized will be a lot better than schools assuming that you actually are incapable of receiving a single point in a class, or that you slacked off THAT hard..

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:02 pm

The general rule of thumb is that whatever you have to disclose is not going to be nearly as bad as not disclosing something you should have, and lying it about it on the C&F section. If you disclose your plagiarism issue, the worst thing that can happen to you is getting rejected from that particular school. But if it comes to light that you lied during your application when you're trying to get admitted to the bar, then you're looking at the possibility of not being able to practice law.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:10 am

Jade88 wrote:Backgraound Info: I was caught plagiarizing during my undergrad. I knew it was definitly wrong and have learned my lesson. There is no disciplinary action shown on my transcript (never being suspended), though I got a "0" for that course (no indication the "0" related to plagiarism). However, I received a letter of reprimand from my undergrad school.

You should disclose on your application because you'll need to disclose for your states bar background check. The bar will/can crosscheck with your law school application and if they find out you are lying on either one you can be refused bar admission based on lack of candor.

Just write a good and very apologetic explanation and hope for the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”