Question regarding majors Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Theory1195

New

Question regarding majors

Post by Theory1195 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:00 am

I have read so many conflicting things online about this subject, and I want the TLS opinion:

Does having an atypical major while applying to law school provide ANY benefit during the admissions process?

I am fully aware that LSAT & GPA are the the factors of all factors--but would being a Classics major even count as a soft-boost (because it isn't seen often)? No, I am not asserting that Classics is necessarily harder than other majors (although Ancient Greek is brutal). I am simply curious.

I don't necessarily trust all the information I get from my university's pre-law advisor (he means well, but he says a lot of contradictory things). so I figured I would just flat out ask it here.

Any insight the TLS users could provide would be tremendously appreciated!!

AZ123

New

Re: Question regarding majors

Post by AZ123 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:23 am

Majors do not count as a soft boost, especially not classics. If any major were to give any sort of slight boost, it would probably be science or engineering or something like that since those are typically viewed as harder to get good grades in. But in reality, GPA and lsat trump everything else and major is pretty irrelevant (although when it comes to job hiring, there is an actual boost for having a science/engineering degree since that opens the door to some ip jobs).

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:57 pm

AZ123 wrote:Majors do not count as a soft boost, especially not classics. If any major were to give any sort of slight boost, it would probably be science or engineering or something like that since those are typically viewed as harder to get good grades in. But in reality, GPA and lsat trump everything else and major is pretty irrelevant (although when it comes to job hiring, there is an actual boost for having a science/engineering degree since that opens the door to some ip jobs).
This is all OP needs to know

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:19 pm

All I would add is to not listen/speak to your pre-law advisor anymore, TLS is all you need to get through the application process.

That, and retake.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”