LSAC Grade Questions Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ForumCommissar

New

LSAC Grade Questions

Post by ForumCommissar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:38 pm

I've been told that basically every grade you got after high school will count.

So I have a few questions:

Back in community college, I wasn't the best at math. I had to take a non-college credit geometry course (which I got an A in). Would this grade count? Would be awesome if so.

Second question, I am considering "studying abroad" in Washington, DC. Two of the programs are not actual schools, but rather institutions which give seminar classes that my school would count as credit. I might end up just doing the American University one just in case, but in case I chose these, as they have more days dedicated to internships, would these count? They are confirmed to count as college credit at my university.

Additionally, I have 2 W's on my transcript. They have no effect on my GPA and are not punitive (so not WF or whatever). These won't count as F's right?

Thanks.

xnsch

Bronze

Re: LSAC Grade Questions

Post by xnsch » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 am

ForumCommissar wrote:I've been told that basically every grade you got after high school will count.

So I have a few questions:

Back in community college, I wasn't the best at math. I had to take a non-college credit geometry course (which I got an A in). Would this grade count? Would be awesome if so.

Second question, I am considering "studying abroad" in Washington, DC. Two of the programs are not actual schools, but rather institutions which give seminar classes that my school would count as credit. I might end up just doing the American University one just in case, but in case I chose these, as they have more days dedicated to internships, would these count? They are confirmed to count as college credit at my university.

Additionally, I have 2 W's on my transcript. They have no effect on my GPA and are not punitive (so not WF or whatever). These won't count as F's right?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that community college classes taken for high school credit are counted by LSAC.

The studying in DC thing will certainly count if they count as college credit as your university, as they'll likely be on your transcript anyway.

W's on your transcript that are non-punitive do not count as F's.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 am

The non-credit courses may actually not count, but I'm not sure how these specific ones worked. Did you receive any course credit at all for taking this class? And if not, how did it appear on your transcript?

A college course grants college credit, regardless of whether a high school also counted it. But the OP is saying they didn't receive credit at all, which is why I'm confused.

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:The non-credit courses may actually not count, but I'm not sure how these specific ones worked. Did you receive any course credit at all for taking this class? And if not, how did it appear on your transcript?

A college course grants college credit, regardless of whether a high school also counted it. But the OP is saying they didn't receive credit at all, which is why I'm confused.
It appears on my transcript as an A, so you can see it, but it had no impact towards credits for graduation nor towards my undergrad GPA.

It was essentially satisfying pre-college requirements.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 pm

ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:The non-credit courses may actually not count, but I'm not sure how these specific ones worked. Did you receive any course credit at all for taking this class? And if not, how did it appear on your transcript?

It appears on my transcript as an A, so you can see it, but it had no impact towards credits for graduation nor towards my undergrad GPA.

Ok, but at the college that you took it at, was it for credit hours? Do you have a separate transcript from that institution?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

Ok, but at the college that you took it at, was it for credit hours? Do you have a separate transcript from that institution?
No credit hours. I do have a transcript from it, separately.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:38 pm

ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

You'll still need to submit that transcript, but I don't think the grade will count if you didn't receive credit for it... which is a weird arrangement, but without the credit, the grade can't really affect your GPA.

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

You'll still need to submit that transcript, but I don't think the grade will count if you didn't receive credit for it... which is a weird arrangement, but without the credit, the grade can't really affect your GPA.
Oh of course, I was just hoping I might get a free A.

One additionally question I have, is, I already graduated from that community college. Over the summer, could I take more classes there to inflate my GPA? Or do they not count post-graduation?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:58 pm

ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

One additionally question I have, is, I already graduated from that community college. Over the summer, could I take more classes there to inflate my GPA? Or do they not count post-graduation?
All courses taken before you receive your bachelor's count. I'm assuming when you say graduated from the community college that you mean received your associate's? You can still take courses at the CC to boost your GPA as long as you haven't completed a bachelor's degree yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:56 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:

All courses taken before you receive your bachelor's count. I'm assuming when you say graduated from the community college that you mean received your associate's? You can still take courses at the CC to boost your GPA as long as you haven't completed a bachelor's degree yet.
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Thanks again for all the help, this definitely will help me maximize my GPA.

equang

New

Post by equang » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Anyone in here know how an

IP in a P/F (Incomplete Pass)

will affect my LSAC gpa?

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:42 pm

equang wrote:Anyone in here know how an

will affect my LSAC gpa?
I'd say the biggest indicator is how your college treated. From what I understand, P/F classes don't effect your LSAC GPA even if you fail, but someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Remedial classes that are not taken for credit are not counted in your LSAC GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:04 pm

equang wrote:Anyone in here know how an

will affect my LSAC gpa?
If your school counted it as an F, it will count as an F for your LSAC GPA. If not, you're fine.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:51 am

HYPSM wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
Just don't be too obviously blatant about it. It may hurt you a little bit for HYSCCN (but it will be OK for other T14 schools).

I knew a guy who had a 4.0 and 172+, and he got waitlisted at a few of the H/CCN schools. He took A TON of easy A classes in community college to boost his GPA (he didn't have any other issues with PS, C&F). He also went to a pretty unknown undergrad.
Assuming that CC didn't give A+'s, why would someone who already has a 4.0 GPA need to pad a bunch of A's from CC?

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:22 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”