Please help. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hannahb

New

Please help.

Post by hannahb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:47 am

Hi! I just completed my first year in college. I'm currently majoring in Criminal Justice, but I'm considering minoring in Psychology or Philosophy. I plan on attending law school and have done pretty well on a few practice LSATs. I know people say Criminal Justice is the worst major for trying to get into law school, but I love it. This is strictly about whether I should minor in Psychology or Philosphy. Which one do you all believe will help me succeed on the LSAT and in law school? Thank you!

BeachBear

New

Re: Please help.

Post by BeachBear » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 am

If you are serious about law school, then take the class that will get you the highest grade. Law school look at pretty much only three things 45% GPA, 45% LSAT and maybe 10% everything else, including major, interests, star charts, etc.

If you can get As in either one, then either one is good, pick the one you will enjoy the most because personally I have yet to hear from anyone in law school that their undergrad major helped them one way or another.

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:49 am

Neither will make a difference on LSAT success. As for what major makes better test takers, I think the correlation has more to do with self selection than the major somehow preparing students better.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 am

CJ majors do poorly on the LSAT, because for the most part, only bad colleges offer CJ. There's nothing about it that is bad for law school in and of itself.

AntsInMyEyesJohnson

New

Post by AntsInMyEyesJohnson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:52 am

While Philosophy, depending on what you focus on, could give you a boost in picking up LSAT techniques quicker, I don't see how Psychology would help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

AntsInMyEyesJohnson wrote:While Philosophy, depending on what you focus on, could give you a boost in picking up LSAT techniques quicker, I don't see how Psychology would help.
This. Kierkegaard, Camus, Beauvoir and other forms of existential philosophy won't do any good for the LSAT, but an advanced logic course could make your LSAT prep a little smoother. A little.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:51 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:CJ majors do poorly on the LSAT, because for the most part, only bad colleges offer CJ. There's nothing about it that is bad for law school in and of itself.

CJ majors might do poorly on the LSAT but bad schools don't just offer CJ majors.... Just about every flagship state school in every state offers CJ and a lot of top private schools(including ivies) offer CJ. I have seen you give a lot of "Honest Advice" on TLS and it's largely a load of shit....

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:CJ majors do poorly on the LSAT, because for the most part, only bad colleges offer CJ. There's nothing about it that is bad for law school in and of itself.

CJ majors might do poorly on the LSAT but bad schools don't just offer CJ majors.... Just about every flagship state school in every state offers CJ and a lot of top private schools(including ivies) offer CJ. I have seen you give a lot of "Honest Advice" on TLS and it's largely a load of shit....
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I think you should make the decision based on whether you enjoy that major/minor and are passionate about it. Sometimes taking a major just because its easy will shoot you in the foot- I know in undergrad it was hard for me to put in work in BS classes that I just needed as credit and weren't apart of my major. I personally also wanted a major that was challenging and wanted to take away a skill-set from college.

Furthermore, I would consider what type of practice you are interested in and that could help you make your decision.

Best of luck to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:57 pm

this

kd5

New

Post by kd5 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Philosophy helped me in terms of (a) small boost on the LSAT prep from logic classes, and (b) helping me build up a tolerance for lots of long, dense, reading assignments written in really old-fashioned styles.

Don't do it if your school's philosophy dept. is tough on GPA though, that was my mistake and was not remotely worth the small boosts described above.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:10 pm

hannahb wrote:Hi! I just completed my first year in college. I'm currently majoring in Criminal Justice, but I'm considering minoring in Psychology or Philosophy. I plan on attending law school and have done pretty well on a few practice LSATs. I know people say Criminal Justice is the worst major for trying to get into law school, but I love it. This is strictly about whether I should minor in Psychology or Philosphy. Which one do you all believe will help me succeed on the LSAT and in law school? Thank you!
It's counterintuitive, but being a criminal justice major won't increase your chances of getting in. Instead, pick a random liberal arts major (psychology, sociology, political science...) and take every non-math and non-science class you can. Take the bare minimum amount of math and science classes. Also, participate in internships and school clubs (EX: a club that raises money to help starving African babies...).

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:23 pm

Just a fyi - stop taking practice tests. You have plenty of time for the LSAT and enjoy your 3 remaining years of college.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Philosophy is great for LSAT prep (critical reading/logic/arguments). I would wager that I owe at least 5 points on my LSAT to my philosophy major.

But also, philosophy is just great for life. I really recommend it as a field of study.

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Philosophy, especially analytical/logic philosophy would definitely help on your LSAT. LSAC hires philosophy Phds to write questions for a reason. That said depending on your university/philosophy department, it's a harder major than criminal justice so I'm not sure if the potential trade-off in GPA is worthwhile or not. There is no data on how much going through a philosophy degree gives you a boost on the LSAT, just that philosophy majors score better than most majors.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:19 am

Minors are bullshit. It doesn't matter. Pick whichever one you like. Or both. Or neither. Nobody will care.

Also, stop preparing for the LSAT. Chill out until you're at least a junior.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:38 am

Get out of criminal justice RIGHT NOW. It is worthless. Do literally anything else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:41 am

BNA wrote:Get out of criminal justice RIGHT NOW. It is worthless. Do literally anything else.
Lol at this anti CJ sentiment. OP, take whatever you're interested in and can excel in. Get the highest GPA possible for now and start prepping for the LSAT as a junior.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 am

Nachoo2019 wrote:
BNA wrote:Get out of criminal justice RIGHT NOW. It is worthless. Do literally anything else.
Lol at this anti CJ sentiment. OP, take whatever you're interested in and can excel in. Get the highest GPA possible for now and start prepping for the LSAT as a junior.
I only say that in case law school doesn't work out for whatever reason. I have a CJ undergrad because I wanted to work investigations for the DoJ after the military. Wound up realizing I'd be miserable working for the fed and had zero options other than careers I could have secured with any major. Unless you want to be a cop, pick a degree with some value (STEM)

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:10 am

BNA wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
I only say that in case law school doesn't work out for whatever reason. I have a CJ undergrad because I wanted to work investigations for the DoJ after the military. Wound up realizing I'd be miserable working for the fed and had zero options other than careers I could have secured with any major. Unless you want to be a cop, pick a degree with some value (STEM)
Well this changes things. In that case you are correct haha. I was in the same boat but I took it cause it was easy, I qualified for tuition reduction through our CJ/public policy program, and I absolutely knew I wanted law school.

kfh37

New

Post by kfh37 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 am

I was a criminal justice major at a Big 10 school. I loved my classes, but it was ridiculously easy. I double majored so that I would have at least one major that got some respect. Criminal justice is perceived by law schools as a very weak major, so it could hurt your chances at top schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:21 am

kfh37 wrote:I was a criminal justice major at a Big 10 school. I loved my classes, but it was ridiculously easy. I double majored so that I would have at least one major that got some respect. Criminal justice is perceived by law schools as a very weak major, so it could hurt your chances at top schools.
This is wrong.

For example, A 4.0 in CJ is going to get the same results as any other non-stem 4.0 GPA. A stem 4.0 would give you a slight boost, but the same GPA in CJ won't hurt you.

Not saying CJ is prestigious by any means, but T-14s will have to report your 4.0 GPA not majors.

ChicagoKid27

New

Post by ChicagoKid27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Start studying a language. You need to the view the LSAT as a foreign language. Train yourself to recognize patterns by learning a language that is unknown to you.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 pm

ChicagoKid27 wrote:Start studying a language. You need to the view the LSAT as a foreign language. Train yourself to recognize patterns by learning a language that is unknown to you.
Don't give advice like this if you're a junior in college and haven't taken the LSAT. It's great that you're learning Russian but the reason to learn Russian is not because it will help you on the LSAT.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoKid27

New

Post by ChicagoKid27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 pm

blueapple wrote:
ChicagoKid27 wrote:Start studying a language. You need to the view the LSAT as a foreign language. Train yourself to recognize patterns by learning a language that is unknown to you.
Don't give advice like this if you're a junior in college and haven't taken the LSAT. It's great that you're learning Russian but the reason to learn Russian is not because it will help you on the LSAT.
You do realize that I plan on studying for the LSAT right? I'm learning a foreign language to keep my mind sharp and to help increase analytical skill, I'm only a junior, yea your right. I also plan on taking a year or two between graduated and starting law school. If I start studying for the LSAT now there's a good chance I could burn out. Besides, there are many benefits to being bilingual such as improved memory, increased perception, and better decision making skills. All of which will come in handy when studying for the LSAT. Plus, your understanding of the English language also improves, which is kind of important if you want to be a lawyer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”