Part Time v. Full Time (With an Important Consideration) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BernardBellington

New

Part Time v. Full Time (With an Important Consideration)

Post by BernardBellington » Sun May 08, 2016 12:13 pm

f
Last edited by BernardBellington on Wed May 11, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxes

Bronze

Re: Part Time v. Full Time (With an Important Consideration)

Post by foxes » Sun May 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Honestly, what's probably more important is what school you go to in terms of job prospects. So far as I know, the only t14 with a part time option is gtown. Look up job stats for part time programs.

If you want to get work experience (always a good thing) why not just work for a few years and decide later if you even want to go to law school.

BernardBellington

New

Post by BernardBellington » Sun May 08, 2016 12:31 pm

foxes wrote:Honestly, what's probably more important is what school you go to in terms of job prospects. So far as I know, the only t14 with a part time option is gtown. Look up job stats for part time programs.

If you want to get work experience (always a good thing) why not just work for a few years and decide later if you even want to go to law school.
I believe you are correct there. Fordham does have one. If I am admitted to Columbia or NYU, I will likely be choosing that and going full-time.

I have this idea that, if I was hiring associates, and I saw that someone has been working at one of the best law firms in the country throughout law school that would be attractive and impressive to me. Though, I may be misguided and weighing the benefit too heavily.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun May 08, 2016 12:39 pm

If you go full time to school, you can always keep in touch with your coworkers/boss and work there during the summer.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed May 11, 2016 1:33 am

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to end up as an associate at a firm like WLRK/CSM/S&C, you're better off going full-time to a T14 and gunning for good grades. Your legal research experience will be a nice talking point in interviews, but your grades will matter much more. If you have different plans in mind, the part-time option could make sense.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 am

Part-time GULC (soon-to-be) graduate here - go full time and don't look back if you get a better school lined up. Grades seriously matter for getting in to those firms when you're as far down as GULC (don't even think of going lower), even with your prior connection. So like others have said, the better the school, the better your chances because the less grades matter.

Work experience is good and most firms seem to like law students who have some and are clearly able to balance school with other things - it makes for a good interview narrative. Some firms don't understand it and think you're a lesser person for going part-time. Overall, though, law school is a pain in the ass for 3 years and is straight up murder for 4 years. I would go back in time and punch 2012 Capitol in the nuts for going this route if I could. It's agonizing.

Literally only consider part-time if you have to (job that pays well/helps pay for law school and parenting/family issues are the two categories that spring to mind).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”