transporting a pet Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jlk411

Bronze

transporting a pet

Post by jlk411 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi all- I am looking at a potential cross country move for school. I have a 4 pound yorkie that will be coming with me to school (no not gonna leave him at home). Anyone have experience flying with pets? He is too little and nervous to go in cargo. Want him to go with me in passenger area but afraid he will bark...thinking about doing red-eye where it will be quieter and less busy. Anyone have experience with medicating dogs/cats on a flight?

Thanks!

emkay625

Gold

Re: transporting a pet

Post by emkay625 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Talk to your vet. They can make recommendations about what to use if you want to medicate the pup. Esp. given how tiny yours is, I would want to make sure I talked to a professional.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I sedated my cat when I flew with him once (also did so on cross-country drives). Definitely talk to your vet and they will give you the right stuff. It (likely) won't knock him out, just make him too stoned to protest anything. It worked well for me. My cat was probably almost 3x the size of your dog so your dog will probably be more comfortable on the plane, too. And I've seen lots of people fly with tiny dogs so while it's not likely to be his favorite experience ever, it should be fine. Maybe ask the airlines which times are most likely to have empty seats in a row? I just flew last night with a bunch of empty seats and it would be more comfortable for him to be in the seat next to you except for take off/landing.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Also if you can fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday late at night - those times are more likely to be dead.

bluefish91

New

Post by bluefish91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Last edited by bluefish91 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twokings

New

Post by twokings » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm

I flew with my yorkie two years ago and have also flown him cargo since. In-cabin is definitely the way to go. Mine was still a puppy at the time so the vet recommended children's Benadryl. Our flight was long so I waited to give him the medication until about 20 minutes prior to boarding. He barked a bit in the security line but other passengers were pretty understanding. Our flight attendants allowed me to sit his carrier on my lap but I was not allowed to take him out. In the end, I think I was more anxious than he was.

Be sure to check your airline's requirements before flying. I had to get a health certificate from my vet within 10 days of flying and make a pet reservation for each connecting flight. Each airline has their own dimension limits for the carrier as well. If I remember correctly, it was $250 each way so be sure to budget!

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:23 pm

If you think your dog will bark on the plane, a red eye is probably a bad idea, less crowded or not.

If you can fly a dog in-cabin (and you can because of his weight), you should, especially if you're flying in summer. Pet cargo areas have HVAC, but the pet holding areas from check-in to boarding the plane don't necessarily have HVAC. Better to keep your pup with you. If you can fly Alaska, they're the best I've come across for flying with dogs (and cheapest I think). Plus the numerous other things that could happen to your dog while it's sitting next to others--it could have a huge dog growling in the crate next to it, it could somehow be let out (it's happened), water that's supposed to be given to the dog isn't, the dog is put on a different plane, etc. All unlikely, but not impossible or even improbable, really.

I personally don't give my dog any sedatives while flying. It's just as easy and much safer to exercise your dog hard the day or few hours beforehand. Even if it's hard to fit into my schedule, I always run or hike with my dog for a few hours before we I put the poor guy on a flight.

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:27 pm

bluefish91 wrote:I'v flown with my dog (yorkie mix and 20lbs) a few times, and it's generally not too bad. Make sure you really tire your pup out the day before/morning of travel and hopefully he will sleep most of the flight. I brought lots of treats, and her favorite nylabone and that kept her busy. The first time we flew I got some anti-anxiety meds from my vet, but she didn't seem to need them. Is your dog a barker normally? My dog rarely barks so I wasn't surprised that she didn't bark on the plane either, but if your dog is vocal around people/new situations, you should expect barking. If that's the case, red-eye would probably be worse, as you'll be waking everyone up and dealing with angry people. Good luck!!
yes he's a barker lol that's my main worry!

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:28 pm

mist4bison wrote:If you think your dog will bark on the plane, a red eye is probably a bad idea, less crowded or not.

If you can fly a dog in-cabin (and you can because of his weight), you should, especially if you're flying in summer. Pet cargo areas have HVAC, but the pet holding areas from check-in to boarding the plane don't necessarily have HVAC. Better to keep your pup with you. If you can fly Alaska, they're the best I've come across for flying with dogs (and cheapest I think). Plus the numerous other things that could happen to your dog while it's sitting next to others--it could have a huge dog growling in the crate next to it, it could somehow be let out (it's happened), water that's supposed to be given to the dog isn't, the dog is put on a different plane, etc. All unlikely, but not impossible or even improbable, really.

I personally don't give my dog any sedatives while flying. It's just as easy and much safer to exercise your dog hard the day or few hours beforehand. Even if it's hard to fit into my schedule, I always run or hike with my dog for a few hours before we I put the poor guy on a flight.

Good call on the exercise, I will definitely do that! thx

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 pm

twokings wrote:I flew with my yorkie two years ago and have also flown him cargo since. In-cabin is definitely the way to go. Mine was still a puppy at the time so the vet recommended children's Benadryl. Our flight was long so I waited to give him the medication until about 20 minutes prior to boarding. He barked a bit in the security line but other passengers were pretty understanding. Our flight attendants allowed me to sit his carrier on my lap but I was not allowed to take him out. In the end, I think I was more anxious than he was.

Be sure to check your airline's requirements before flying. I had to get a health certificate from my vet within 10 days of flying and make a pet reservation for each connecting flight. Each airline has their own dimension limits for the carrier as well. If I remember correctly, it was $250 each way so be sure to budget!
Great advice, thank you!

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think consensus is no red-eye cus ppl are gonna be more grumpy when he barks...I think i'll talk to the vet about Benadryl...

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am

Bring a blanket with you to cover the crate as well, that can help.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 am

If you think it's likely to bark, please, for the love of God get some sedative. Yorkie yapping is one of the most annoying things on earth.

Rinkcat made 9 round trips between Portland and Chicago with no trouble. Some airlines require proof of good health and rabies vaccination, but I think my cat's papers were checked once.

After you buy your ticket, call the airline and ask to add a pet reservation, because most airlines limit the number of pets in the cabin on one flight. Some airlines make you pay by card over the phone and some let you pay at check-in. While you're on the phone, ask what they require in terms of vet paperwork (sometimes it's nothing). Pet fees vary by airline from $75 to $200 for 1 pet, one-way. At check-in, you get a luggage sticker thing for your pet carrier with your name and flight on it, showing you paid for your pet. They might forget about it, or not see that you have a pet, so make sure to ask for it.

Get a soft carrier within the under-seat size limits and get the pee-absorbing pads to put in underneath any towel or blankie you're using.

When you go through security, the bag has to be x-rayed with all your other carry-on stuff and your shoes and liquids while you carry the pet through the metal detector in your arms, and then your hands get swabbed and tested for bomb chemicals. You have to stand there waiting to get swabbed, holding a nervous animal, while your stuff sits unattended on the x-ray thing, and if you ask to stand near it so your laptop doesn't wander off, you get yelled at. If TSA is feeling helpful, they might ask which stuff is yours and grab it off the conveyor for you.

Traveling with a pet goes much more smoothly if you know exactly what to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If you think it's likely to bark, please, for the love of God get some sedative. Yorkie yapping is one of the most annoying things on earth.

Rinkcat made 9 round trips between Portland and Chicago with no trouble. Some airlines require proof of good health and rabies vaccination, but I think my cat's papers were checked once.

After you buy your ticket, call the airline and ask to add a pet reservation, because most airlines limit the number of pets in the cabin on one flight. Some airlines make you pay by card over the phone and some let you pay at check-in. While you're on the phone, ask what they require in terms of vet paperwork (sometimes it's nothing). Pet fees vary by airline from $75 to $200 for 1 pet, one-way. At check-in, you get a luggage sticker thing for your pet carrier with your name and flight on it, showing you paid for your pet. They might forget about it, or not see that you have a pet, so make sure to ask for it.

Get a soft carrier within the under-seat size limits and get the pee-absorbing pads to put in underneath any towel or blankie you're using.

When you go through security, the bag has to be x-rayed with all your other carry-on stuff and your shoes and liquids while you carry the pet through the metal detector in your arms, and then your hands get swabbed and tested for bomb chemicals. You have to stand there waiting to get swabbed, holding a nervous animal, while your stuff sits unattended on the x-ray thing, and if you ask to stand near it so your laptop doesn't wander off, you get yelled at. If TSA is feeling helpful, they might ask which stuff is yours and grab it off the conveyor for you.

just saw this! thanks so much for the detailed info!

missie

New

Post by missie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If you think it's likely to bark, please, for the love of God get some sedative. Yorkie yapping is one of the most annoying things on earth.

Thanks for this! Getting ready to move from the Middle East to NY with my two kitties - not sure who will be more nervous. Did you put a harness on your cat while traveling? Did you use any sedative?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:28 pm

missie wrote:

Thanks for this! Getting ready to move from the Middle East to NY with my two kitties - not sure who will be more nervous. Did you put a harness on your cat while traveling? Did you use any sedative?
I put a collar on her (which normally she didn't wear), but not a harness. If your cat is extra wriggly, you might want a harness to keep a better grip when you have to take it out of the carrier.
I used a sedative once or twice (valium from the vet), but it made her groggy and walk funny for too long afterwards, so I stopped. Plus she was old and super mellow, so she didn't fuss on the plane anyway.

Wow, the middle east? That's a REALLY long flight. Pretty much guaranteed your cat will pee in the carrier, so you'd better make it absorbent and leak-proof. My cat's upper limit was about 10-11 hours, including getting to/from the airport at either end. She had about a 50% success rate of making it door-to-door Portland-to-Chicago without peeing.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm a cute little pomeranian. woof!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 am

missie wrote: Getting ready to move from the Middle East to NY with my two kitties - not sure who will be more nervous. Did you put a harness on your cat while traveling? Did you use any sedative?
Me too! Although I only have one cat. When are you moving? Let me know how it goes! Nervous about making sure I have all the proper documentation figured out *sigh*

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed May 11, 2016 10:09 pm

For anyone wondering, my brother usually had good experiences flying with JetBlue with his dogs from LA <-> NYC. I think you pay for the animals and you have to contact ahead of time, but my brother had his designated as ESAs [he actually does see a therapist and they are therapeutic for him, but I'm quite certain that ESA is a bogus designation for many] and he never had to pay. AFAIK, ESAs aren't recognized by all airlines. I think he had an issue once out of many flights where the gate attendant was making a fuss about it.

Also, these were two English bulldogs [40-60lbs; he wouldn't always have both], so I can't imagine you'd ever have issues with a Yorkie.

Remember; never allow your brachyocephalic animals to be placed in cargo!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 pm

I wouldn't put any pet in cargo. Pets at the very least suffer and many die.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed May 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Good point - I was only aware of the specific rules with the short nosed breeds, as I've never owned anything else and they are usually referenced in particular.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missie

New

Post by missie » Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote: Me too! Although I only have one cat. When are you moving? Let me know how it goes! Nervous about making sure I have all the proper documentation figured out *sigh*
I'm moving in early August, luckily my boyfriend his helping so he'll carry one of them. There are so many documents/requirements to keep track of - so far we have to go to two different vets (our regular vet, then a designated government vet), and get their microchips and rabies vaccines. I'm glad we started the process early, but I'm still freaking out. When are you moving??

missie

New

Post by missie » Thu May 12, 2016 10:23 am

rinkrat19 wrote: I put a collar on her (which normally she didn't wear), but not a harness. If your cat is extra wriggly, you might want a harness to keep a better grip when you have to take it out of the carrier.
I used a sedative once or twice (valium from the vet), but it made her groggy and walk funny for too long afterwards, so I stopped. Plus she was old and super mellow, so she didn't fuss on the plane anyway.

Wow, the middle east? That's a REALLY long flight. Pretty much guaranteed your cat will pee in the carrier, so you'd better make it absorbent and leak-proof. My cat's upper limit was about 10-11 hours, including getting to/from the airport at either end. She had about a 50% success rate of making it door-to-door Portland-to-Chicago without peeing.
ughh poor kitties :cry: thanks for the heads up!

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:47 pm

34iplaw wrote:For anyone wondering, my brother usually had good experiences flying with JetBlue with his dogs from LA <-> NYC. I think you pay for the animals and you have to contact ahead of time, but my brother had his designated as ESAs [he actually does see a therapist and they are therapeutic for him, but I'm quite certain that ESA is a bogus designation for many] and he never had to pay. AFAIK, ESAs aren't recognized by all airlines. I think he had an issue once out of many flights where the gate attendant was making a fuss about it.

Also, these were two English bulldogs [40-60lbs; he wouldn't always have both], so I can't imagine you'd ever have issues with a Yorkie.

Remember; never allow your brachyocephalic animals to be placed in cargo!

Thanks for the heads up about the ESA status, I am starting to test him out on diff sedatives so we can see which will work on the big day. Also, my sis is planning on coming for emotional support lol

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sun May 15, 2016 4:27 am

missie wrote: I'm moving in early August, luckily my boyfriend his helping so he'll carry one of them. There are so many documents/requirements to keep track of - so far we have to go to two different vets (our regular vet, then a designated government vet), and get their microchips and rabies vaccines. I'm glad we started the process early, but I'm still freaking out. When are you moving??
I'm moving in early August as well. I'm not sure yet if I'm traveling with my cat or if my husband will bring my cat a few months later. We already traveled with her from East Asia to the Middle East, so maybe it won't be too hard to go to NYC with her.

Also, where are you living? I've heard from other pet owners that finding an apartment has been hard and expensive :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”