transporting a pet Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
missie

New

Re: transporting a pet

Post by missie » Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote:
missie wrote: I'm moving in early August, luckily my boyfriend his helping so he'll carry one of them. There are so many documents/requirements to keep track of - so far we have to go to two different vets (our regular vet, then a designated government vet), and get their microchips and rabies vaccines. I'm glad we started the process early, but I'm still freaking out. When are you moving??
I'm moving in early August as well. I'm not sure yet if I'm traveling with my cat or if my husband will bring my cat a few months later. We already traveled with her from East Asia to the Middle East, so maybe it won't be too hard to go to NYC with her.

Also, where are you living? I've heard from other pet owners that finding an apartment has been hard and expensive :(
I'm going to be living in DC, but yeah it is pretty expensive :cry: there are seemingly lots of options but I haven't found a place yet. Really hoping to find something more affordable but it looks like that is going to be really difficult ugh

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 pm

ESA's are not recognized by the ADA - the ADA only allows for service dogs to board a flight. HOWEVER, the ACAA (air carrier aviation act) does cover and legally allow for ESA's (with proper documentation) to fly, for free, in the cabin of a plane.

Furthermore, having your dog documented as an ESA can REALLY help with finding housing at law school (I have mine designated as an ESA for that reason - I have been through a lot in my life and I have a couple diagnoses that qualify me for an ESA, but honestly do not need one - however, the benefits are worth talking to a certified mental health professional [NOT a GP/family doc] about getting a letter for one). The FHA covers ESAs, legally, in housing. Any apartment building that is over 4 units (or, if less than 4 units if the owner does not occupy any of the units) cannot deny an ESA - whether it is pet-friendly or not - and can not charge you a fee or a monthly pet rent. However, if your dog is not well-behaved, they do have the right to later "kick you out." (Yeah, I want to get into disability law and probably know a bit too much about service vs. therapy vs ESA vs pet distinctions and laws governing them all)

Dads707

New

Post by Dads707 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:40 pm

34iplaw wrote:Remember; never allow your brachyocephalic animals to be placed in cargo!
This is why I'll be making the 15 hour drive to/from home several times.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”