Law School --> Business? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CoolerThanCooley

New

Law School --> Business?

Post by CoolerThanCooley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Background: I graduated in 2014 with a degree in anthropology (~3.8 GPA) from a decent public university. Since then, I've landed a cushy government job (low-level data analyst position); the job offers great security and solid benefits--and given my weak background and level of experience, I'm honestly pretty fortunate to have it.

Now here's the issue: I have a very strong interest in business, and I want to have a long-term career in the private sector. Deep down, I know that's where I belong and that's where I would thrive. My dream would be to eventually move up the corporate ladder or to start my own successful business venture and to become a CEO/CFO. Unfortunately, I don't have an academic background in business (or STEM) and I have no personal or professional connections in the corporate world.

Given my background, I don't think I can make the switch into business without a graduate education. And I can't get the corporate work experience needed to get an MBA from a selective, prestigious program. I've heard that some people who finish law school (and focus on corporate law coursework) are able to make the switch into corporate work. I know it's a three-year, $200K+ investment.... but I also know, given my timed practice test performance, that I can perform very well on the LSAT (170+.)

Do you guys think it's a good idea to go to a T14 law school in order to get a job in the (non-legal) corporate world? If not, what other options do I have?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Law School --> Business?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Consider enrolling in a part-time MBA program while continuing to work at your current position.

Otherwise, take the LSAT and/or GMAT to determine realistic options if you choose to study full-time.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:35 pm

A law degree is a terrible choice if your goal isn't to be a lawyer.

While it is true that people with law degrees often go on to do other things, that doesn't make it a good choice if you never intend to practice law (or at least seek a job for which a JD is all but necessary). The waste of time, the debt, and the lost income all but scream find another path - no matter how well you can put together an application.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Don't go

Are you sure your WE would exclude you from good MBA programs? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't

CoolerThanCooley

New

Post by CoolerThanCooley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Don't go

Are you sure your WE would exclude you from good MBA programs? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't
From what I hear, MBA admissions committees at competitive business schools look for work experience in the private sector. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Why not at least see what you can swing on the GMAT and go from there? While your w/e might not help as much as some other options, I doubt it will exclude you from every good business school.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:03 pm

From what I know, the people who've managed to make the switch to a business role after doing corporate law are those who've done it before going to law school (i.e. CPA at Big 4, analyst for a bank, etc.). And even then, those that I know made the switch have expressed the difficulty of options in returning back to the business side once you've been on the legal one.

My advice is, if you want to do business, do business. Like someone else suggested, go ahead and study for and take the GMAT.

Also, if you have no personal and professional connections to the corporate world, CHANGE THAT. Talk to people who do what you want to do. Networking isn't just something you do in the legal profession. They're out there. Believe me, you know someone that knows someone. Hit the pavement and get better insight into how to make the transition you want.

CoolerThanCooley

New

Post by CoolerThanCooley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:09 pm

DJ JD wrote:From what I know, the people who've managed to make the switch to a business role after doing corporate law are those who've done it before going to law school (i.e. CPA at Big 4, analyst for a bank, etc.). And even then, those that I know made the switch have expressed the difficulty of options in returning back to the business side once you've been on the legal one.

My advice is, if you want to do business, do business. Like someone else suggested, go ahead and study for and take the GMAT.

Also, if you have no personal and professional connections to the corporate world, CHANGE THAT. Talk to people who do what you want to do. Networking isn't just something you do in the legal profession. They're out there. Believe me, you know someone that knows someone. Hit the pavement and get better insight into how to make the transition you want.
That makes sense. Thanks for the great advice, DJ JD!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Don't go to law school unless you want to become a lawyer. Some people transition from law to business, but from what I hear, it is not easy.

Business school definitely sounds like the better choice for you, and I would not rule you out of a good MBA program so easily. Top MBA programs do accept people who worked at nonprofits and government. Indeed, 9% of HBS comes from gov't/nonprofit/education. See http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class ... fault.aspx. And unlike law schools, there are good b-schools outside the top tier. See http://poetsandquants.com/2013/12/06/be ... acement/4/. There are almost 30 b-schools where graduates have >90% employment and a median BASE salary of $100k or more (which does not even include signing bonus and year-end bonus---once you take those into account, they earn even more).

Head over to GMAT Club (the b-school version of TLS). Those people will be more knowledgeable about MBA admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:16 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Don't go to law school unless you want to become a lawyer. Some people transition from law to business, but from what I hear, it is not easy.

Business school definitely sounds like the better choice for you, and I would not rule you out of a good MBA program so easily. Top MBA programs do accept people who worked at nonprofits and government. Indeed, 9% of HBS comes from gov't/nonprofit/education. See http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class ... fault.aspx. And unlike law schools, there are good b-schools outside the top tier. See http://poetsandquants.com/2013/12/06/be ... acement/4/. There are almost 30 b-schools where graduates have >90% employment and a median BASE salary of $100k or more (which does not even include signing bonus and year-end bonus---once you take those into account, they earn even more).

Head over to GMAT Club (the b-school version of TLS). Those people will be more knowledgeable about MBA admissions.
I feel like the metrics of lower ranked business schools are skewed due to the people who already have jobs and are paid by their employers to get MBAs.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm

omegaweapon wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Don't go to law school unless you want to become a lawyer. Some people transition from law to business, but from what I hear, it is not easy.

I feel like the metrics of lower ranked business schools are skewed due to the people who already have jobs and are paid by their employers to get MBAs.
That might be true. I do not claim to be knowledgeable about b-school stuff.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:11 pm

As a former graduate student at Dartmouth with many friends and close ties to Tuck as well as numerous other friends who have went to Top 10 business schools, this whole "private sector experience is necessary" line is wholly untrue. Is it generally beneficial to have private sector experience? Yes as B School Adcomms can most easily relate and quantify / qualify that experience into the class.

However, the most concerning element of your post is not the government experience (had a friend at Tuck who just had gov't experience) is that you say you have a "cushy, low level data entry job". Now also you just graduated a year ago, so give yourself some slack. You should however be looking to get a promotion in the next year or so, as B Schools want demonstrated leadership experience and a strong career progression / trajectory. You don't have to be into I Banking or McKinsey consulting to get into a top business school, another buddy of mine is going to U of Chi with two year working at a non-prestigious non profit and two years in two roles at a boutique (but again, not particularly prestigious) marketing consulting firm (I never did ask, but this guy also had a 3.9+ GPA from UG and I am sure got a 760ish GMAT) . What you need is work experience, demonstrable career progression, leadership potential, and a bomb GMAT (720+ seem to be the magic-isn number these days).

Again PM me with more questions.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 pm

^this was my understanding as well, non profit, govnt etc should be fine (as long as you wait long enough)

CoolerThanCooley

New

Post by CoolerThanCooley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for all of the help, guys! I'm going to take this advice and figure out my next steps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”